how to write kernel modules - Linux

This is a discussion on how to write kernel modules - Linux ; I have a very rare piece of hardware that requires special drivers in Windows and OS X. I have those; what I /don't/ have is a copy of MS Windows ;-) It's a USB network cable. My question is this: ...

  1. how to write kernel modules

    I have a very rare piece of hardware that requires special drivers in
    Windows and OS X. I have those; what I /don't/ have is a copy of MS
    Windows ;-) It's a USB network cable.

    My question is this: How can I write a kernel module for it? I know how to
    program in C, but I don't know how to communicate directly with the
    hardware, and I don't know how to make a kernel module.

    Could any of you shed some light here?

    Thanks

    --
    Joshua David Williams

    (QDOS == "Quick & Dirty Operating System) --> (DOS == "Dirty Operating
    System")

  2. Re: how to write kernel modules

    Joshua David Williams writes:

    > I have a very rare piece of hardware that requires special drivers in
    > Windows and OS X. I have those; what I /don't/ have is a copy of MS
    > Windows ;-) It's a USB network cable.
    >
    > My question is this: How can I write a kernel module for it? I know how to
    > program in C, but I don't know how to communicate directly with the
    > hardware, and I don't know how to make a kernel module.
    >
    > Could any of you shed some light here?

    Yes. You have a struggle on your hands.

    Start here : http://tldp.org/LDP/lkmpg/2.6/html/x121.html

  3. Re: how to write kernel modules

    Hello,

    Take a look at the following posting on Ubuntuforums.org
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...98#post2554398
    There you will find all necessary litterature and examples.

    You may also write Michel Xhaard and ask him how to debug USB commands.
    I think he reverse engineers USB drivers in Windows and re-creates the
    drivers in Linux. See: http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39291

    // moma
    http://www.futuredesktop.org

    Joshua David Williams wrote:
    > I have a very rare piece of hardware that requires special drivers in
    > Windows and OS X. I have those; what I /don't/ have is a copy of MS
    > Windows ;-) It's a USB network cable.
    >
    > My question is this: How can I write a kernel module for it? I know how to
    > program in C, but I don't know how to communicate directly with the
    > hardware, and I don't know how to make a kernel module.
    >
    > Could any of you shed some light here?
    >
    > Thanks

  4. Re: how to write kernel modules

    Re-hello. it's just me again.

    Forgot this.

    Snooping the USB Data Stream
    http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7582

    moma wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Take a look at the following posting on Ubuntuforums.org
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...98#post2554398
    > There you will find all necessary litterature and examples.
    >
    > You may also write Michel Xhaard and ask him how to debug USB commands.
    > I think he reverse engineers USB drivers in Windows and re-creates the
    > drivers in Linux. See:
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39291
    >
    > // moma
    > http://www.futuredesktop.org
    >

    > Joshua David Williams wrote:
    >> I have a very rare piece of hardware that requires special drivers in
    >> Windows and OS X. I have those; what I /don't/ have is a copy of MS
    >> Windows ;-) It's a USB network cable.
    >>
    >> My question is this: How can I write a kernel module for it? I know
    >> how to
    >> program in C, but I don't know how to communicate directly with the
    >> hardware, and I don't know how to make a kernel module.
    >>
    >> Could any of you shed some light here?
    >>
    >> Thanks

+ Reply to Thread