home networking with suse 10.2 and windows xp home (newbie) - Linux

This is a discussion on home networking with suse 10.2 and windows xp home (newbie) - Linux ; My wife's laptop runs xp home; can't change that. My desktop runs openSuse 10.2 x64. How can I set up file sharing so that there is one folder shared between both machines, with read/write permissions for all, and no login ...

  1. home networking with suse 10.2 and windows xp home (newbie)

    My wife's laptop runs xp home; can't change that.
    My desktop runs openSuse 10.2 x64.
    How can I set up file sharing so that there is one folder shared between
    both machines, with read/write permissions for all, and no login prompt?
    I have Samba installed and running, I have my computer joined to the
    Windows workgroup "jello," and I can see my Linux box from Windows (but
    not access any files). I have successfully set up the cups server to
    share my printer.

    In your replies, please assume that I have never manually edited a .conf
    file in my life. I am willing to learn, but take it easy on me, please.

  2. Re: home networking with suse 10.2 and windows xp home (newbie)

    "GateKeeper" wrote in message
    > My wife's laptop runs xp home; can't change that.
    > My desktop runs openSuse 10.2 x64.
    > How can I set up file sharing so that there is one folder shared between
    > both machines, with read/write permissions for all, and no login prompt? I
    > have Samba installed and running, I have my computer joined to the Windows
    > workgroup "jello," and I can see my Linux box from Windows (but not access
    > any files). I have successfully set up the cups server to share my
    > printer.
    >
    > In your replies, please assume that I have never manually edited a .conf
    > file in my life. I am willing to learn, but take it easy on me, please.

    Is your wife's Windows XP system formatted with NTFS or FAT32? It seems
    simpler if both of you are sharing a partition with the same formatting. You
    may have to add a new partition to your wife's system somehow.

+ Reply to Thread