gnome always puts windows at top left - Linux

This is a discussion on gnome always puts windows at top left - Linux ; Ok, so I've read some older messages about this issue. Im reevaluating GNOME after a few years away.. Ive learned that basically GNOME/Metacity has a window placement algorithm that hopes to fit windows into available space so nothing is obscured. ...

  1. gnome always puts windows at top left

    Ok, so I've read some older messages about this issue. Im reevaluating
    GNOME after a few years away.. Ive learned that basically GNOME/Metacity
    has a window placement algorithm that hopes to fit windows into
    available space so nothing is obscured. Of course this is just plain
    silly and will never occur, so it falls back to placing windows at the
    top left corner of the screen.

    So my windows always open in the top left corner, and a hundred times a
    day I find myself dragging windows down. *#@#% that. Is there still no
    way to tell it to center new windows or do something smarter? Even
    random would be better, roll the dice biatch!

    If there isn't a way, will KDE do it for me, cause I'll switch like,
    yesterday.

    thx

  2. Re: gnome always puts windows at top left

    On Sat, 12 May 2007 18:34:54 -0700, fancyfunpanel wrote:

    > So my windows always open in the top left corner, and a hundred times a
    > day I find myself dragging windows down. *#@#% that. Is there still no
    > way to tell it to center new windows or do something smarter? Even
    > random would be better, roll the dice biatch!
    >
    > If there isn't a way, will KDE do it for me, cause I'll switch like,
    > yesterday.

    I am running KDE 2.5.6 on Mandriva Linux 2007.1
    KDE Control Center-->Desktop-->Window Behavior-->Placement
    Smart
    Maximizing
    Cascade
    Random
    Centered
    Zero-Cornered

  3. Re: gnome always puts windows at top left

    I switched to KDE. Much happier so far
    I just miss a few of my panel apps.

+ Reply to Thread