filesystem type command - Linux

This is a discussion on filesystem type command - Linux ; buddies gave me the commands to remove the contents of C: drive off of an old windows 98 (first edition) laptop using damn small linux and copy it to a usb memory stick so i can save the files. The ...

  1. filesystem type command

    buddies gave me the commands to remove the contents of C: drive off of
    an old windows 98 (first edition) laptop using damn small linux and copy
    it to a usb memory stick so i can save the files.

    The complication arose when the coffee shop closed and the laptop
    process wasn't finished so I had to go home and do it all over again as
    the battery is dead so i couldn't stand on the street and let the
    machine run copying until it was done.

    They added a command line that told linux to remove the old contents of
    the memory stick and start over. That didn't work so I went to a
    windows machine, stuck the memory stick in and did a delete.

    When I went to do the process again it asks for a filesystem type when
    mounting the memory stick and I don't know what to type. I looked in my
    linux reference book but don't know enought to know what the message
    means.

    here are the commands my buddies gave me.

    >mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1

    When i type the line it asks for a filesystem type
    I think the answer is a vfat but I don't know if that is correct or
    how to code it for linux.

    Sadly, I think my sin is that when I did the delete on the windows
    machine of my memory stick, I removed a knoppix linux file from the
    memory stick that should have been left that contained information the
    guys had put their through other previous commands.

    rm -rf /mnt/sda1/* (this line didn't work so i just did a delete on
    a windows machine of the memory memory stick.)

    cp -a /mnt/hda1 /mnt/sda1 (copies everything on my computer from c
    drive to the memory stick.)

    >unmount /mnt/sda1 (command to close the memory stick but never got that far)

    any help sure appreciated

  2. Re: filesystem type command

    Didn't read all your post, but here's a Linux version of the fstyp command.

    http://mkp.net/fstyp/

+ Reply to Thread