Office Applications for Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on Office Applications for Linux - Linux ; Hi, I just downloaded and installed Red Hat Fedora Core, version 6. The Firefox browser is great. The office applications seem to be sparse (a word processor and a spreadsheet and one or two other things). Is there anything else ...

  1. Office Applications for Linux

    Hi,

    I just downloaded and installed Red Hat Fedora Core, version 6.

    The Firefox browser is great.

    The office applications seem to be sparse (a word processor and a
    spreadsheet and one or two other things).

    Is there anything else I should install? Is there anything else cool for
    using Linux on a desktop machine that I should look into?

    Thanks, Dave.
    --
    David T. Ashley (dta@e3ft.com)
    http://www.e3ft.com (Consulting Home Page)

  2. Re: Office Applications for Linux

    On Sat, 05 May 2007 23:43:45 -0400, David T. Ashley wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I just downloaded and installed Red Hat Fedora Core, version 6.
    >
    > The Firefox browser is great.
    >
    > The office applications seem to be sparse (a word processor and a
    > spreadsheet and one or two other things).
    >
    > Is there anything else I should install? Is there anything else cool for
    > using Linux on a desktop machine that I should look into?
    >
    > Thanks, Dave.

    It would have been nice if you had specified what is there. I usually
    install OpenOffice.org plus Abiword and Gnumeric. What else would you like?
    Most of the software you'd spend hundreds of dollars for on MS have Linux
    counterparts that are free. I use gimp for photo editing, ufraw and dcraw
    to handle raw photo conversions; there are several web authoring tools . . .

  3. Re: Office Applications for Linux

    ray wrote:

    > Most of the software you'd spend hundreds of dollars for on MS have Linux
    > counterparts that are free.

    I have a small list here:

    http://markhobley.yi.org:9070/MigrationApps

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    International: 0044 121 247 1596

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  4. Re: Office Applications for Linux

    "David T. Ashley" writes:

    >Hi,

    >I just downloaded and installed Red Hat Fedora Core, version 6.

    >The Firefox browser is great.

    >The office applications seem to be sparse (a word processor and a
    >spreadsheet and one or two other things).

    Sparse?
    ooffice has a full office suite.
    koffice has an office suite.
    etc.

    >Is there anything else I should install? Is there anything else cool for
    >using Linux on a desktop machine that I should look into?

    How in the world should we know what you consider cool? There are over 10GB
    of programs delivered with my Mandriva download. You could install all of
    them.

  5. Re: Office Applications for Linux

    On Sat, 05 May 2007 23:43:45 -0400, David T. Ashley wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I just downloaded and installed Red Hat Fedora Core, version 6.
    >
    > The Firefox browser is great.
    >
    > The office applications seem to be sparse (a word processor and a
    > spreadsheet and one or two other things).
    >
    > Is there anything else I should install? Is there anything else cool for
    > using Linux on a desktop machine that I should look into?

    Yes.

  6. Re: Office Applications for Linux

    On Tue, 08 May 2007 15:27:15 -0500, Ivan Marsh wrote:

    >On Sat, 05 May 2007 23:43:45 -0400, David T. Ashley wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I just downloaded and installed Red Hat Fedora Core, version 6.
    >>
    >> The Firefox browser is great.
    >>
    >> The office applications seem to be sparse (a word processor and a
    >> spreadsheet and one or two other things).
    >>
    >> Is there anything else I should install? Is there anything else cool for
    >> using Linux on a desktop machine that I should look into?

    >Yes.

    I would offer a great link to add to your yum install list. (assuming you
    have yum installed.) Setup directions are on the site.
    http://dag.wieers.com/rpm/

    For office apps try OpenOffice 2.2.
    What other applications did you need or would you like?

  7. Re: Office Applications for Linux

    Mark Hobley wrote:
    > ray wrote:
    >
    >> Most of the software you'd spend hundreds of dollars for on MS have Linux
    >> counterparts that are free.

    > I have a small list here:
    >
    > http://markhobley.yi.org:9070/MigrationApps
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Mark.

    Another list: http://www.linuxrsp.ru/win-lin-soft/table-eng.html

    Games lists: http://transgaming.org/gamesdb

    Jyou might want to update your list for Frostwire, that supplanted
    Limewire, after the horrid hacking.

    After Grokster lost to RIAA in the courts, Limewire had to add trackers,
    so the RIAA can find and sue YOU! The Limewire folks forked the
    project, hosted it offshore, and improved it. Frostwire.com is it, and
    actually is a bit better than Limewire PRO, for free, though donations
    would be appropriate! Thousands of you sending $20 each year would make
    any project team a bit satisfied, that their sacrifices are worthwhile
    to you. Plus, it keeps the servers going!

    I do prefer torrent for speed on all my GNU/Linux boxes. Hey, I have
    the fat pipes, and dozens of live systems, all running GNU/Linux like
    Simply Mepis 6.5, Knoppix 5.1.1, Kubuntu, Debian, FreeBSD, etc.

    Check out http://livecdlist.com

+ Reply to Thread