Swap partition on usb pen drive - Linux

This is a discussion on Swap partition on usb pen drive - Linux ; I want to make a swap partition on a usb pen drive for use when running knoppix on systems without a lot of RAM. I tried to repartion a pen drive from knoppix with "cfdisk /dev/sda1" and "fdisk /dev/sda1" How ...

  1. Swap partition on usb pen drive

    I want to make a swap partition on a usb pen drive for use when
    running knoppix on systems without a lot of RAM. I tried to repartion
    a pen drive from knoppix with "cfdisk /dev/sda1" and "fdisk /dev/sda1"

    How do I do this? I need step by step instructions because I am kind
    of a dip****. Google was no help last night.

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Swap partition on usb pen drive

    Dr. Kenshalo wrote:

    > I want to make a swap partition on a usb pen drive for use when
    > running knoppix on systems without a lot of RAM. I tried to repartion
    > a pen drive from knoppix with "cfdisk /dev/sda1" and "fdisk /dev/sda1"
    >
    > How do I do this? I need step by step instructions because I am kind
    > of a dip****. Google was no help last night.

    It's a /really/ silly thing to try to do! USB flash drives have a very
    limited number of read/write cycles. Using it as swap will destroy it
    rapidly!

    C.

  3. Re: Swap partition on usb pen drive

    Strange that pendrives come with 5-year warrantees, but no statement
    about write cycles.

    You use "touch swapfile", followed by "dd if=/dev/zero of=swapfile bs=4k
    count=256k" or whatever, followed by "swapon swapfile".

  4. Re: Swap partition on usb pen drive

    Group: comp.os.linux Date: Sat, May 5, 2007, 8:44am From:
    vtailor@copper.net (Victor*Schneider,*Ph.*D.)

    script:

    >Strange that pendrives come
    >with 5-year warrantees, but no
    >statement about write cycles.

    Conventional Wisdom has it as ~ 100,000 write cycles, unlimited
    reads.

    >You use "touch swapfile", followed
    >by "dd if=/dev/zero of=swapfile bs=4k
    >count=256k" or whatever, followed by
    >"swapon swapfile".

    salaam,
    dowcom

    To e-mail me, add the character zero to "dowcom". i.e.:
    dowcom(zero)(at)webtv(dot)net.

    --
    http://community.webtv.net/dowcom/DOWCOMSAMSTRADGUIDE

    MSWindows is television, Linux is radar.

  5. Re: Swap partition on usb pen drive

    bud wrote:

    >>Strange that pendrives come
    >>with 5-year warrantees, but no
    >>statement about write cycles.

    > Conventional Wisdom has it as ~ 100,000 write cycles, unlimited
    > reads.

    I'm watching the swapping going on on one of my machines (it's doing a huge
    compile). I would exceed the write cycle specification in a few hours!

    Chris

+ Reply to Thread