dump - Linux

This is a discussion on dump - Linux ; How does this dump work? I want to make a dump of a vfat filesystem. Bill...

  1. dump

    How does this dump work? I want to make a dump of a vfat filesystem.

    Bill

  2. Re: dump

    Bill Cunningham wrote:
    > How does this dump work? I want to make a dump of a vfat filesystem.
    >
    > Bill

    If i understand your meaning correctly (please correct if i'm mistaken)
    you want to write out an entire vfat partition to disk. the simplest way
    to do this is,
    dd if=/dev/hdb1 of=~/partitionimage.img
    ....that is assuming the vfat partition is on /dev/hdb1. you'll need to
    adjust that accordingly, but the rest should work. i should warn you,
    though, that this will make a file in the user's home dir as large as
    the vfat partition itself. please make sure you have enough space before
    attempting this, or it will be a complete waste of time.

    after the process is complete, you can view the data obtained in any hex
    editor, or mount it with the command
    mount -o loop -t vfat partitionimage.img /mnt/vfatimg

  3. Re: dump

    Pandora Xero wrote:

    > Bill Cunningham wrote:
    >
    >> How does this dump work? I want to make a dump of a vfat filesystem.

    > If i understand your meaning correctly (please correct if i'm mistaken)
    > you want to write out an entire vfat partition to disk. the simplest way
    > to do this is,
    > dd if=/dev/hdb1 of=~/partitionimage.img

    I thought he meant:

    # man 8 dump
    DUMP(8) System Manager's Manual DUMP(8)

    NAME
    dump - ext2 filesystem backup
    BUGS
    It might be considered a bug that this version of dump can only handle
    ext2 filesystems. Specifically, it does not work with FAT filesystems.

  4. Re: dump

    >> If i understand your meaning correctly (please correct if i'm mistaken)
    >> you want to write out an entire vfat partition to disk. the simplest way
    >> to do this is,
    >> dd if=/dev/hdb1 of=~/partitionimage.img

    > I thought he meant:
    >
    > # man 8 dump
    > DUMP(8) System Manager's Manual DUMP(8)
    >
    > NAME
    > dump - ext2 filesystem backup
    > BUGS
    > It might be considered a bug that this version of dump can only
    > handle
    > ext2 filesystems. Specifically, it does not work with FAT
    > filesystems.

    dump only works on ext2 then? Not ext3 or reiser or vfat? The old unixes
    had the dd command and dump and restorr. Is there really no difference in
    dump and dd output to a file ?

    Bill

  5. Re: dump

    Bill Cunningham wrote:

    >>BUGS
    >> It might be considered a bug that this version of dump can only
    >>handle
    >> ext2 filesystems. Specifically, it does not work with FAT
    >>filesystems.

    > dump only works on ext2 then? Not ext3

    ext3 = ext2 + journal, so should work.

    I suspect it may be more a case of requiring stat(2) to work properly - vfat
    fails to do this properly.

    > or reiser or vfat? The old unixes

    Just to point out, that was the version of dump I happened to look at the
    man page of. for proper info, look at:

    AVAILABILITY
    The dump/restore backup suit is available from
    http://dump.sourceforge.net

    > had the dd command and dump and restorr. Is there really no difference in
    > dump and dd output to a file ?

    yes. afaics, dump only dumps files that have changed:

    $ man dump
    DESCRIPTION
    Dump examines files on an ext2 filesystem and determines which files need
    to be backed up...

+ Reply to Thread