Re: Info about the GNU C Compiler...? (Then what about linux?) - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: Info about the GNU C Compiler...? (Then what about linux?) - Linux ; In article , deostroll wrote: >> The Linux kernel is certainly copmiled with GCC. >So considering the fact that > >a) the GNU C compiler adopts an open standard, >b) and the compiler is free, > >does this mean that ...

  1. Re: Info about the GNU C Compiler...? (Then what about linux?)

    In article <1177746861.497856.137500@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups. com>,
    deostroll wrote:

    >> The Linux kernel is certainly copmiled with GCC.

    >So considering the fact that
    >
    >a) the GNU C compiler adopts an open standard,
    >b) and the compiler is free,
    >
    >does this mean that we cannot anti-socially hack linux?

    I have no idea how you reach that conclusion!

    P.S. if you add a Followup-To: header, make sure it's syntactically correct.

    -- Richard
    in some alphabets" - X3.4, 1963.

  2. Re: Info about the GNU C Compiler...? (Then what about linux?)

    deostroll writes:
    > On Apr 29, 2:17 pm, deostroll wrote:
    >> > I have no idea how you reach that conclusion!
    >> > -- Richard

    >> Eh, well, I assume virus writers would use a non-standard C compiler.
    >> Your linux os might contain a standard version of the C compiler. In
    >> such cases those evil programs would not run the way it was thought
    >> to...I don't know; its a wild idea.
    >>
    >> I may be wrong or outright silly. But tell me this, if you were to
    >> install something on linux via downloading from the internet, would
    >> you do it? Do you ever download from the internet like how you do on
    >> Windows? Or do you just get the source code of the application you
    >> want and you make binaries of it yourself?
    >>
    >> How do we do it (install programs) on a linux os?

    > Anyone care to comment on this?
    > --deostroll

    Apparently not, since nobody commented when you posted the same thing
    three weeks ago, and it has little to do with C programming.

    --
    Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) kst-u@mib.org
    San Diego Supercomputer Center <*>

  3. Re: Info about the GNU C Compiler...? (Then what about linux?)

  4. Re: Info about the GNU C Compiler...? (Then what about linux?)

    deostroll wrote:

    > Ok how about some info about when it comes to installing programs
    > or packages...do we have to download the application's entire
    > source code or the application binaries as such?
    >
    > I would not go for the latter, because there is no way of being
    > sure that that app works fine on my sys (i.e without harming it);
    > bcos the source code is not there. Hence I would go for the former
    > option.
    >
    > But what do ppl normally do?

    See the sig. below. Also, please do not use funny abbreviations,
    such as ppl, app. These are probably totally confusing to people
    who do not sport English as their base language.

    --
    If you want to post a followup via groups.google.com, ensure
    you quote enough for the article to make sense. Google is only