Installing Fedora 5 to external USB hard drive - Linux

This is a discussion on Installing Fedora 5 to external USB hard drive - Linux ; I have a work IBM laptop with Windows XP and therefore I want to avoid installing Linux on the internal harddrive. I pluged in an external USB harddisk. I booted off the Fedora 5 installation CD. Typed Linux expert, I ...

  1. Installing Fedora 5 to external USB hard drive

    I have a work IBM laptop with Windows XP and therefore I want to avoid
    installing Linux on the internal harddrive. I pluged in an external USB
    harddisk. I booted off the Fedora 5 installation CD. Typed Linux expert,
    I chose not modify the MBR because the only option was to modify the
    MBR on the internal harddrive. So I installed without the MBR.

    After the installation is finished. I couldn't boot off the USB Harddrive.
    I boot off the Fedora 5 installation disk and went into linux rescue mode.
    chroot /mnt/sysimage and found there were no boot files in /boot
    and NO grub!

    Should I reinstall? If I do, how can I install Fedora to boot off the USB
    harddrive?

  2. Re: Installing Fedora 5 to external USB hard drive

    The Doctor wrote:
    > Should I reinstall? If I do, how can I install Fedora to boot off the USB
    > harddrive?

    I have never done this, so I can't offer any wisdom. But here is a link
    from google.

    http://www.simonf.com/usb/

  3. Re: Installing Fedora 5 to external USB hard drive

    Ben Collver wrote in
    news:QoOdnePS385pxrDbnZ2dnUVZ_gSdnZ2d@scnresearch. com:

    > http://www.simonf.com/usb/

    Thanks. I did find that by Google but my situation is different.
    I don't have anything in my /boot :-(.

  4. Re: Installing Fedora 5 to external USB hard drive

    The Doctor wrote in
    news:Xns991CE48B56E85docwhoATbigpondDOTne@61.9.191 .5:

    > Ben Collver wrote in
    > news:QoOdnePS385pxrDbnZ2dnUVZ_gSdnZ2d@scnresearch. com:
    >
    >> http://www.simonf.com/usb/

    I decided to give Fedora 6 a go and it was a lot better.
    I was able to see that /boot had kernel file and initrd.
    However, even though I was about to run grub-install,
    I still couldn't get my laptop to boot from the
    exernal drive. I know that my laptop support external drive
    because ages ago I was about the laptop to boot from a USB
    flash drive.

+ Reply to Thread