Skinny install - Linux

This is a discussion on Skinny install - Linux ; Several years ago, I found a 'Diskette boot image'. It would load Linux, and could be configured as a Print Server, File Server, and a Router. (Similar to Freesco). I can no longer find it. Any ideas? I have tried ...

  1. Skinny install

    Several years ago, I found a 'Diskette boot image'.

    It would load Linux, and could be configured as a Print Server, File Server,
    and a Router. (Similar to Freesco).

    I can no longer find it. Any ideas?

    I have tried to install, what I call a 'Skinny install', using a Linux
    install CD. Trying to deselect everything I did not want.
    It then would come back with some dependencies errors, forcing me to install
    allot of stuff I did not want, or need.

    I even tried the "Linux for Dummies". Strange thing about it was, you could
    find the command, it described the command, but no info on it's usage.

    I really want to build using an old pc I have. Wanted a file server only.
    (Like Samba).

    Any ideas where to look?

    --
    please reply to bargerw NO @ SPAM bellsouth.net and remove the NOSPAM

  2. Re: Skinny install

    In article <6fTPh.13383$5i7.4114@bignews4.bellsouth.net>,
    bargerw@bellsouth.net says...
    > Several years ago, I found a 'Diskette boot image'.
    >
    > It would load Linux, and could be configured as a Print Server, File Server,
    > and a Router. (Similar to Freesco).
    >
    > I can no longer find it. Any ideas?
    >
    > I have tried to install, what I call a 'Skinny install', using a Linux
    > install CD. Trying to deselect everything I did not want.
    > It then would come back with some dependencies errors, forcing me to install
    > allot of stuff I did not want, or need.
    >
    > I even tried the "Linux for Dummies". Strange thing about it was, you could
    > find the command, it described the command, but no info on it's usage.
    >
    > I really want to build using an old pc I have. Wanted a file server only.
    > (Like Samba).
    >
    > Any ideas where to look?

    This link mentions file server on a floppy. Might help.

    http://www.serverelements.com/naslite.php

  3. Re: Skinny install

    Thanks. I will look into it.

    --

    "flyer" wrote in message
    > In article <6fTPh.13383$5i7.4114@bignews4.bellsouth.net>,
    > bargerw@bellsouth.net says...
    >> Several years ago, I found a 'Diskette boot image'.
    >>
    >> It would load Linux, and could be configured as a Print Server, File
    >> Server,
    >> and a Router. (Similar to Freesco).
    >>
    >> I can no longer find it. Any ideas?
    >>
    >> I have tried to install, what I call a 'Skinny install', using a Linux
    >> install CD. Trying to deselect everything I did not want.
    >> It then would come back with some dependencies errors, forcing me to
    >> install
    >> allot of stuff I did not want, or need.
    >>
    >> I even tried the "Linux for Dummies". Strange thing about it was, you
    >> could
    >> find the command, it described the command, but no info on it's usage.
    >>
    >> I really want to build using an old pc I have. Wanted a file server
    >> only.
    >> (Like Samba).
    >>
    >> Any ideas where to look?
    >>

    > This link mentions file server on a floppy. Might help.
    >
    > http://www.serverelements.com/naslite.php

  4. Re: Skinny install

    On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 18:23:19 -0700, flyer wrote:

    > In article <6fTPh.13383$5i7.4114@bignews4.bellsouth.net>,
    > bargerw@bellsouth.net says...
    >> Several years ago, I found a 'Diskette boot image'.
    >>
    >> It would load Linux, and could be configured as a Print Server, File Server,
    >> and a Router. (Similar to Freesco).
    >>
    >> I can no longer find it. Any ideas?
    >>
    >> I have tried to install, what I call a 'Skinny install', using a Linux
    >> install CD. Trying to deselect everything I did not want.
    >> It then would come back with some dependencies errors, forcing me to install
    >> allot of stuff I did not want, or need.
    >>
    >> I even tried the "Linux for Dummies". Strange thing about it was, you could
    >> find the command, it described the command, but no info on it's usage.
    >>
    >> I really want to build using an old pc I have. Wanted a file server only.
    >> (Like Samba).
    >>
    >> Any ideas where to look?
    >>

    > This link mentions file server on a floppy. Might help.
    >
    > http://www.serverelements.com/naslite.php

    Try Damn Small Linux
    http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
    or Server-Optimized Linux
    http://www.sol-linux.com/

  5. Re: Skinny install

    The reply 'flyer' posted works just fine.
    I looked at 'damn skinny' but NASLite has a good fit for what I was looking
    for.

    --

    "x1a4" wrote in message
    newsan.2007.04.14.00.00.00.125407@nodomain.net...
    > On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 18:23:19 -0700, flyer wrote:
    >
    >> In article <6fTPh.13383$5i7.4114@bignews4.bellsouth.net>,
    >> bargerw@bellsouth.net says...
    >>> Several years ago, I found a 'Diskette boot image'.
    >>>
    >>> It would load Linux, and could be configured as a Print Server, File
    >>> Server,
    >>> and a Router. (Similar to Freesco).
    >>>
    >>> I can no longer find it. Any ideas?
    >>>
    >>> I have tried to install, what I call a 'Skinny install', using a Linux
    >>> install CD. Trying to deselect everything I did not want.
    >>> It then would come back with some dependencies errors, forcing me to
    >>> install
    >>> allot of stuff I did not want, or need.
    >>>
    >>> I even tried the "Linux for Dummies". Strange thing about it was, you
    >>> could
    >>> find the command, it described the command, but no info on it's usage.
    >>>
    >>> I really want to build using an old pc I have. Wanted a file server
    >>> only.
    >>> (Like Samba).
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas where to look?
    >>>

    >> This link mentions file server on a floppy. Might help.
    >>
    >> http://www.serverelements.com/naslite.php

    > Try Damn Small Linux
    > http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
    > or Server-Optimized Linux
    > http://www.sol-linux.com/

  6. Re: Skinny install

    Bill wrote:
    > Several years ago, I found a 'Diskette boot image'.
    >
    > It would load Linux, and could be configured as a Print Server, File Server,
    > and a Router. (Similar to Freesco).
    >
    > I can no longer find it. Any ideas?
    >
    > I have tried to install, what I call a 'Skinny install', using a Linux
    > install CD. Trying to deselect everything I did not want.
    > It then would come back with some dependencies errors, forcing me to install
    > allot of stuff I did not want, or need.
    >
    > I even tried the "Linux for Dummies". Strange thing about it was, you could
    > find the command, it described the command, but no info on it's usage.
    >
    > I really want to build using an old pc I have. Wanted a file server only.
    > (Like Samba).
    >
    > Any ideas where to look?

    Either Slackware fora roll-your-own fileserver, or something like
    freeNAS, which while not exactly linux, is a free NAS fileserver.

    Cheers,
    mvdw

  7. Re: Skinny install

    Group: comp.os.linux Date: Sat, May 12, 2007, 8:25pm (CDT+15) From:
    ""matt\"@"> (none)

    script:

    >Either Slackware fora roll-your-own
    >fileserver, or something like freeNAS,
    >which while not exactly linux, is a free
    >NAS fileserver.

    For me: FreeBSD is kewl tuu. Going to freeNAS, and following their
    link to wikipedia NAS, I find a link to Openfiler, which _is_ Linux,
    albeit a hybrid of NAS and SAN.

    salaam,
    dowcom

    To e-mail me, add the character zero to "dowcom". i.e.:
    dowcom(zero)(at)webtv(dot)net.

    --
    http://community.webtv.net/dowcom/DOWCOMSAMSTRADGUIDE

    MSWindows is television, Linux is radar.

+ Reply to Thread