NFS Suddenly Stops Working - Linux

This is a discussion on NFS Suddenly Stops Working - Linux ; Hi there, My NFS server on Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES4 serves for user's home directories. The entry in the /etc/exports is like this: /home/users 10.2.0.0/255.255.0.0(no_auth_nlm,rw,async,insecure) It suddenly can not be mounted today. When I try to mount it I ...

  1. NFS Suddenly Stops Working

    Hi there,
    My NFS server on Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES4 serves for user's home
    directories.
    The entry in the /etc/exports is like this: /home/users
    10.2.0.0/255.255.0.0(no_auth_nlm,rw,async,insecure)
    It suddenly can not be mounted today. When I try to mount it I get the
    error:
    # mount server02:/home/users/ross /home/ross
    mount: block device server02:/home/users/ross is write-protected, mounting
    read-only
    mount: cannot mount block device server02:/home/users/ross read-only

    If I add "no_root_squash,no_all_squash" to the /etc/exports entry, I can
    mount it, but I get error when I ls it:
    bash-2.05a$ cd /home/ross
    bash-2.05a$ ls
    ls: .: Stale NFS file handle

    Any idea would be greatly appreciated,
    Ross

  2. Re: NFS Suddenly Stops Working

    On 2007-03-30, Ross wrote:
    > Hi there,
    > My NFS server on Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES4 serves for user's home
    > directories.
    > The entry in the /etc/exports is like this: /home/users
    > 10.2.0.0/255.255.0.0(no_auth_nlm,rw,async,insecure)
    > It suddenly can not be mounted today. When I try to mount it I get the
    > error:
    > # mount server02:/home/users/ross /home/ross
    > mount: block device server02:/home/users/ross is write-protected, mounting
    > read-only
    > mount: cannot mount block device server02:/home/users/ross read-only
    >
    > If I add "no_root_squash,no_all_squash" to the /etc/exports entry, I can
    > mount it, but I get error when I ls it:
    > bash-2.05a$ cd /home/ross
    > bash-2.05a$ ls
    > ls: .: Stale NFS file handle
    >
    > Any idea would be greatly appreciated,

    I'd be worried that the filesystem got remounted ro on the server. Check
    the server logs for FS errors.

    --
    Joshua Baker-LePain
    Department of Biomedical Engineering

  3. Re: NFS Suddenly Stops Working

    Ross wrote:

    > Hi there,
    > My NFS server on Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES4 serves for user's home
    > directories.
    > The entry in the /etc/exports is like this: /home/users
    > 10.2.0.0/255.255.0.0(no_auth_nlm,rw,async,insecure)
    > It suddenly can not be mounted today. When I try to mount it I get the
    > error:
    > # mount server02:/home/users/ross /home/ross
    > mount: block device server02:/home/users/ross is write-protected, mounting
    > read-only
    > mount: cannot mount block device server02:/home/users/ross read-only
    >
    > If I add "no_root_squash,no_all_squash" to the /etc/exports entry, I can
    > mount it, but I get error when I ls it:
    > bash-2.05a$ cd /home/ross
    > bash-2.05a$ ls
    > ls: .: Stale NFS file handle
    >
    > Any idea would be greatly appreciated,
    > Ross

    Check the server. It has filesystem problems...

    --

    Jerry McBride

+ Reply to Thread