Playstation 3 and Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on Playstation 3 and Linux - Linux ; Yellow Dog and Fedora Core have both been reported running on PS3 successfully, the PPC64 distros. My question is this: Can I run ANY PPC64 distribution, or possibly build for PPC64 with any chance of PS3 success? Any ideas?...

  1. Playstation 3 and Linux

    Yellow Dog and Fedora Core have both been reported running on PS3
    successfully, the PPC64 distros.

    My question is this: Can I run ANY PPC64 distribution, or possibly build
    for PPC64 with any chance of PS3 success?

    Any ideas?

  2. Re: Playstation 3 and Linux

    On Sun, 18 Mar 2007, in article , Sparky
    posted to the bogus Usenet newsgroups comp.os.linux, comp.os.linux.help,
    and comp.os.linux.questions:

    On the 15th of every month, there is an article posted to the Usenet groups
    news.announce.newgroups, news.groups, and news.lists.misc with the Subject
    of "List of Big Eight Newsgroups", which lists the names and purposes of
    the (roughly) 2300 newsgroups that every news server _should_ carry. The
    three newsgroups you are posting to are not in that list. You'd have much
    better luck posting to those groups.

    [compton ~]$ grep linux big.8.list.03.15.07 | cut -f1 | column
    comp.os.linux.advocacy comp.os.linux.misc
    comp.os.linux.alpha comp.os.linux.networking
    comp.os.linux.announce comp.os.linux.portable
    comp.os.linux.answers comp.os.linux.powerpc
    comp.os.linux.development.apps comp.os.linux.security
    comp.os.linux.development.system comp.os.linux.setup
    comp.os.linux.embedded comp.os.linux.x
    comp.os.linux.hardware comp.os.linux.xbox
    comp.os.linux.m68
    [compton ~]$

    'comp.os.linux.powerpc' is likely to be more appropriate, and I've set the

    >Yellow Dog and Fedora Core have both been reported running on PS3
    >successfully, the PPC64 distros.

    See the article beginning on page 70 of the April 2007 (issue 156) of
    "Linux Journal" - you may find an on-line copy on www.linuxjournal.com.
    Apparently, you need two files available on the Internet to even talk to
    the box. One is from Sony (www.playstation.com/ps3-openplatform) and the
    other from Terra Soft Solutions
    (http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/su...s3/otheros.bld).

    >My question is this: Can I run ANY PPC64 distribution, or possibly build
    >for PPC64 with any chance of PS3 success?

    I don't know why not, although the LJ article says "Sony actually
    contracted with Terra Soft Solutions to produce a version of it's Yellow
    Dog Linux (henceforth YDL) for the PlayStation 3, a smart move considering
    that Linux people were going to cobble together a solution anyway." That
    suggests that Sony though it possible - though one wonders about the
    video setup (NVIDIA graphic processor with 256 Megs of separate video RAM).
    I also don't know what instruction set the CPU is using - it's an IBM
    processor, and that may require a different compilation.

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread