computer size - Linux

This is a discussion on computer size - Linux ; I would like to try Linux on an old Compaq with 64 Mb RAM and a 2GB hard disc. But will it work on such an old pc? Yours Hindsholm DK-9400 Noerresundby...

  1. computer size

    I would like to try Linux on an old Compaq with 64 Mb RAM and a 2GB hard
    disc. But will it work on such an old pc?

    Yours

    Hindsholm
    DK-9400 Noerresundby

  2. Re: computer size

    On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 16:33:59 +0100, Søren Hindsholm wrote:

    > I would like to try Linux on an old Compaq with 64 Mb RAM and a 2GB hard
    > disc. But will it work on such an old pc?

    A contemporary one using a GUI? Probably not. A contemporary one without
    a GUI or a very, very basic one? Maybe.

    Try Vector Linux first. It's a contemporary distro designed to work on
    older, hardware limited systems and still give you good usability and a
    GUI.

    http://www.vectorlinux.com/

    Or you could try an older version of a distro. I know Mandrake 7.0 and
    Slackware 8.0 both will run with a GUI on systems with 64mb of RAM. Ran
    it on one for a couple years 7 years ago: 166MHz Pentium I, old 4mb
    Matrox graphics card, 3 GB hard drive.

    Stef

  3. Re: computer size

    Søren Hindsholm wrote:
    > I would like to try Linux on an old Compaq with 64 Mb RAM and a 2GB hard
    > disc. But will it work on such an old pc?

    Sure. Puppy linux or Damn Small Linux will work very well on that
    hardware. you'll probably like puppy better.

    cheers.

    --
    As we enjoy great advantages from inventions of others, we should be glad
    of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours;

+ Reply to Thread