Simple questions for all fluxbox users - Linux

This is a discussion on Simple questions for all fluxbox users - Linux ; Hi, I'm running openSUSE 10.2 and fluxbox WM. I want to run smart package manager as root while log in as a normal user. I've been searching Google but i cant find anything useful, at least not for me. Is ...

  1. Simple questions for all fluxbox users

    Hi,
    I'm running openSUSE 10.2 and fluxbox WM. I want to run smart package
    manager as root while log in as a normal user. I've been searching
    Google but i cant find anything useful, at least not for me. Is there
    another way to run GUI apps as root rather than using kdesu?

    Thanks in advance,
    Dre

  2. Re: Simple questions for all fluxbox users

    DrE wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I'm running openSUSE 10.2 and fluxbox WM. I want to run smart package
    > manager as root while log in as a normal user. I've been searching
    > Google but i cant find anything useful, at least not for me. Is there
    > another way to run GUI apps as root rather than using kdesu?

    You can use sudo for this, setup a rule in /etc/sudoers and the in the
    menu just add the sudo infront of the application you want that the user
    should be able to run as root (you can setup that the user don't have to
    type a password).

    It's possible to setup su that a user don't have to type passwords (not
    really to recommend) and then use "su -l -c " in the menu.

    --

    //Aho

  3. Re: Simple questions for all fluxbox users

    J.O. Aho schreef:
    > DrE wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >> I'm running openSUSE 10.2 and fluxbox WM. I want to run smart package
    >> manager as root while log in as a normal user. I've been searching
    >> Google but i cant find anything useful, at least not for me. Is there
    >> another way to run GUI apps as root rather than using kdesu?

    > You can use sudo for this, setup a rule in /etc/sudoers and the in the
    > menu just add the sudo infront of the application you want that the user
    > should be able to run as root (you can setup that the user don't have to
    > type a password).

    I know this and tried this before but it wont work
    > It's possible to setup su that a user don't have to type passwords (not
    > really to recommend) and then use "su -l -c " in the menu.

    My question is howto run GUI apps as root because running smart as
    normal user wont do much good if you want install something. Right now
    im using kdesu to start smart from fluxbox menu. I just want to know if
    there another options besides using kdesu.

  4. Re: Simple questions for all fluxbox users

    DrE wrote:

    > My question is howto run GUI apps as root because running smart as
    > normal user wont do much good if you want install something. Right now
    > im using kdesu to start smart from fluxbox menu. I just want to know if
    > there another options besides using kdesu.

    Not that it's really any better but you could use gksu (just the gtk
    equivilant to kdesu).

    Will

  5. Re: Simple questions for all fluxbox users

    DrE wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I'm running openSUSE 10.2 and fluxbox WM. I want to run smart package
    > manager as root while log in as a normal user. I've been searching
    > Google but i cant find anything useful, at least not for me. Is there
    > another way to run GUI apps as root rather than using kdesu?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Dre

    In ~/.fluxbox, run this command:

    $ xdg_menu --format fluxbox >> menu.xdg

    That will create a openSUSE menu for fluxbox

    Then, make sure that in ~/.fluxbox/menu you see this line:

    [include] (~/.fluxbox/menu.xdg)

    For me, the above line already existed. I just needed to run the above
    xdg_menu command to have the menu generated.

    Also, you can beautify your menu by adding "[separator]" through the menu
    files. This will add dividing lines which I find find help organising
    things.

    --
    Chris

  6. Re: Simple questions for all fluxbox users

    DrE wrote:
    > J.O. Aho schreef:
    >> DrE wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>> I'm running openSUSE 10.2 and fluxbox WM. I want to run smart package
    >>> manager as root while log in as a normal user. I've been searching
    >>> Google but i cant find anything useful, at least not for me. Is there
    >>> another way to run GUI apps as root rather than using kdesu?

    >> You can use sudo for this, setup a rule in /etc/sudoers and the in the
    >> menu just add the sudo infront of the application you want that the user
    >> should be able to run as root (you can setup that the user don't have to
    >> type a password).

    >> It's possible to setup su that a user don't have to type passwords (not
    >> really to recommend) and then use "su -l -c " in the menu.

    >I know this and tried this before but it wont work

    --- /etc/sudoers (for all in users group)---
    %users ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/smart
    --- eof ---
    [exec] (smart 1) {sudo smart --gui}

    (needs to edit su to work without passowrd)
    [exec] (smart 2) {su -l -c smart --gui}

    > My question is howto run GUI apps as root because running smart as
    > normal user wont do much good if you want install something. Right now
    > im using kdesu to start smart from fluxbox menu. I just want to know if
    > there another options besides using kdesu.

    There is a number of su replacements
    gnomesu: http://xsu.sourceforge.net/
    xsu2: http://xsu.freax.eu.org/
    libgksu: http://www.nongnu.org/gksu/
    sux: http://fgouget.free.fr/sux/sux-readme.shtml

    --

    //Aho

  7. Re: Simple questions for all fluxbox users

    > There is a number of su replacements
    > gnomesu: http://xsu.sourceforge.net/
    > xsu2: http://xsu.freax.eu.org/
    > libgksu: http://www.nongnu.org/gksu/
    > sux: http://fgouget.free.fr/sux/sux-readme.shtml

    Aah, yes. That's what im looking for. "Sux is a wrapper around the
    standard su command which will transfer your X credentials to the target
    user."

    Many thanks,
    Dre

  8. Re: Simple questions for all fluxbox users

    In comp.os.linux DrE wrote:

    D> I'm running openSUSE 10.2 and fluxbox WM. I want to run smart package
    D> manager as root while log in as a normal user. I've been searching
    D> Google but i cant find anything useful, at least not for me. Is there
    D> another way to run GUI apps as root rather than using kdesu?

    sudo

    Bye,
    \Dmitry

+ Reply to Thread