how to find and clear vfat's archive bit? - Linux

This is a discussion on how to find and clear vfat's archive bit? - Linux ; I have a FAT32 partition which I share between linux and windows. I regularly back this up in Windows using xcopy and various switches which only backs up the files that have been modified since the last backup. This is ...

  1. how to find and clear vfat's archive bit?

    I have a FAT32 partition which I share between linux and windows. I
    regularly back this up in Windows using xcopy and various switches which
    only backs up the files that have been modified since the last backup.
    This is accomplished by simply copying files which have the archive bit
    set. Likewise, copying the files clears the archive bit.

    I am trying to mimic this script in linux but I haven't found a way to
    list files based on FAT's archive bit. Any suggestions?

  2. Re: how to find and clear vfat's archive bit?

    On Sun, 04 Mar 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux, in article
    , A wrote:

    >I have a FAT32 partition which I share between linux and windows.

    My condolences

    >I regularly back this up in Windows using xcopy and various switches which
    >only backs up the files that have been modified since the last backup.
    >This is accomplished by simply copying files which have the archive bit
    >set. Likewise, copying the files clears the archive bit.
    >
    >I am trying to mimic this script in linux but I haven't found a way to
    >list files based on FAT's archive bit. Any suggestions?

    Have you looked at mtools?

    [compton ~]$ apropos attrib | grep DOS
    mattrib (1) - change MSDOS file attribute flags
    [compton ~]$

    Rather than the man page, try the info page (info mtools). You may also
    have some documentation in /usr/share/doc/mtools/, or similar.

    Old guy

  3. Re: how to find and clear vfat's archive bit?

    * A wrote in comp.os.linux:

    > I have a FAT32 partition which I share between linux and windows. I
    > regularly back this up in Windows using xcopy and various switches which
    > only backs up the files that have been modified since the last backup.
    > This is accomplished by simply copying files which have the archive bit
    > set. Likewise, copying the files clears the archive bit.
    >
    > I am trying to mimic this script in linux but I haven't found a way to
    > list files based on FAT's archive bit. Any suggestions?

    Lots of reading, but does this help:

    http://www.faqs.org/docs/samba/ch08.html

    --
    David

  4. Re: how to find and clear vfat's archive bit?

    Moe Trin wrote:
    > On Sun, 04 Mar 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux, in article
    > , A wrote:
    >
    >> I have a FAT32 partition which I share between linux and windows.

    > My condolences
    >
    >> I regularly back this up in Windows using xcopy and various switches which
    >> only backs up the files that have been modified since the last backup.
    >> This is accomplished by simply copying files which have the archive bit
    >> set. Likewise, copying the files clears the archive bit.
    >>
    >> I am trying to mimic this script in linux but I haven't found a way to
    >> list files based on FAT's archive bit. Any suggestions?

    > Have you looked at mtools?
    >
    > [compton ~]$ apropos attrib | grep DOS
    > mattrib (1) - change MSDOS file attribute flags
    > [compton ~]$
    >
    > Rather than the man page, try the info page (info mtools). You may also
    > have some documentation in /usr/share/doc/mtools/, or similar.
    >
    > Old guy

    mtools appear to be designed for floppies. I'll have to see if there is
    some way I can make it work for other volumes or mount-points. The
    biggest problem I foresee is that mtools works on floppies without the
    need for mounting and umounting them. Since the VFAT partition I am
    working with is actually a truecrypt encrypted VFAT partition I don't
    want it to mess around with mounting and umounting behind the scenes.

    -not old, but not as young as I used to be guy

  5. Re: how to find and clear vfat's archive bit?

    On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 06:58:19 -0400, A wrote:

    > -not old, but not as young as I used to be guy

    Well, isn't that true for all of us? the last bit. Oh, and "s/guy/girl/"
    as appropriate.
    --
    JDS

+ Reply to Thread