VNC - problems running RealVNC 4.1.2 vncserver (Xvnc) - Linux

This is a discussion on VNC - problems running RealVNC 4.1.2 vncserver (Xvnc) - Linux ; I am trying to run RealVNC 4.1.2 vncserver on Linspire 5.0 (debian-based). The log indicates it aborts because it "could not open default font 'fixed'". I provide all the particulars below. Any suggestions? TIA. -------------------------------------------------- The Xvnc command from the ...

  1. VNC - problems running RealVNC 4.1.2 vncserver (Xvnc)

    I am trying to run RealVNC 4.1.2 vncserver on Linspire 5.0 (debian-based). The log indicates it aborts because it "could not open default font 'fixed'". I provide all the particulars below. Any suggestions? TIA.
    The Xvnc command from the vncserver startup script explicitly specifies the font path:

    -fp /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/
    Here is the log, apparently complaining it can't initialize font path element, and (therefore?) can't open default 'fixed' font:

    vncext: VNC extension running!
    vncext: Listening for VNC connections on port 5901
    vncext: Listening for HTTP connections on port 5801
    vncext: created VNC server for screen 0
    Could not init font path element /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc/, removing from list!

    Fatal server error:
    could not open default font 'fixed'
    Here is the line in /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc/fonts.alias that declares the alias for 'fixed':

    fixed -misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-iso8859-1
    Here is the line in /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc/fonts.dir that declares the font referenced by alias 'fixed':

    6x13-ISO8859-1.pcf.gz -misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-iso8859-1
    Here I am showing that the font file exists:

    /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc/6x13-ISO8859-1.pcf.gz

    VNC - problems running RealVNC 4.1.2 vncserver (Xvnc)

  2. Re: VNC - problems running RealVNC 4.1.2 vncserver (Xvnc)

    After takin' a swig o' grog, NowItsWhatever belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > I am trying to run RealVNC 4.1.2 vncserver on Linspire 5.0 (debian-based). The log indicates it aborts because it "could not open default font 'fixed'". I provide all the particulars below. Any suggestions? TIA.
    > The Xvnc command from the vncserver startup script explicitly specifies the font path:
    >
    > -fp /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/
    > Here is the log, apparently complaining it can't initialize font path element, and (therefore?) can't open default 'fixed' font:
    >
    > vncext: VNC extension running!
    > vncext: Listening for VNC connections on port 5901
    > vncext: Listening for HTTP connections on port 5801
    > vncext: created VNC server for screen 0
    > Could not init font path element /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc/, removing from list!
    >
    > Fatal server error:
    > could not open default font 'fixed'

    Try this as the subdirectory instead:

    /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/ ...

    --
    Welcome to DLL Hell.

  3. Re: VNC - problems running RealVNC 4.1.2 vncserver (Xvnc)

    Linonut wrote:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, NowItsWhatever belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> I am trying to run RealVNC 4.1.2 vncserver on Linspire 5.0 (debian-based). The log indicates it aborts because it "could not open default font 'fixed'". I provide all the particulars below. Any suggestions? TIA.
    >> The Xvnc command from the vncserver startup script explicitly specifies the font path:
    >>
    >> -fp /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/
    >> Here is the log, apparently complaining it can't initialize font path element, and (therefore?) can't open default 'fixed' font:
    >>
    >> vncext: VNC extension running!
    >> vncext: Listening for VNC connections on port 5901
    >> vncext: Listening for HTTP connections on port 5801
    >> vncext: created VNC server for screen 0
    >> Could not init font path element /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc/, removing from list!
    >>
    >> Fatal server error:
    >> could not open default font 'fixed'

    > Try this as the subdirectory instead:
    >
    > /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/ ...

    Tried it. Similar result. This time the error message is:

    Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/, removing from list!

    Again, fonts.alias and fonts.dir appear to be correctly set up to define an alias for the font 'fixed'.

    Any other ideas?

  4. Re: VNC - problems running RealVNC 4.1.2 vncserver (Xvnc)

    After takin' a swig o' grog, NowItsWhatever belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> The Xvnc command from the vncserver startup script explicitly
    >>> specifies the font path:
    >>>
    >>> -fp /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/
    >>> Could not init font path element /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc/, removing from list!
    >>> Fatal server error:
    >>> could not open default font 'fixed'

    >> Try this as the subdirectory instead:
    >>
    >> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/ ...

    > Tried it. Similar result. This time the error message is:
    >
    > Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,
    > removing from list!
    >
    > Again, fonts.alias and fonts.dir appear to be correctly set up to
    > define an alias for the font 'fixed'.
    >
    > Any other ideas?

    If those directories do indeed exists and are set up correctly, I am
    puzzled.

    I have had extra problems on a box where I ran out of room and started
    using soft links to other partitions as a stop-gap.

    Which X font server are you using? (Not sure if that matters, unless
    you're running more than one at the same time.)

    --
    Convert your Billy-box to a Linus-box today!

+ Reply to Thread