BIOS Has No Boot-From-USB-Connection Option! - Linux

This is a discussion on BIOS Has No Boot-From-USB-Connection Option! - Linux ; I started a thread yesterday about putting some kind of Linux---decided on Ubuntu minimal configuration----on a 2 GB USB pocket drive, and I made the apparently asinine assumption that the BIOS could be figured to check for a boot from ...

  1. BIOS Has No Boot-From-USB-Connection Option!

    I started a thread yesterday about putting some kind of Linux---decided on
    Ubuntu minimal configuration----on a 2 GB USB pocket drive, and I made the
    apparently asinine assumption that the BIOS could be figured to check for
    a boot from the USB plug.

    The machine is a HP nx7010 laptop, and its BIOS allows booting from the
    hard drive or an "optical device."

    This is odd, since BIOSes of times past (Mr. BIOS at least, right? Maybe
    Award and Phoenix too?) gave the option of booting probably even from a
    parallel port, or maybe even a used toothbrush.

    If I were in the slightest bit paranoid and given to conspiracy theories,
    I might possibly suggest that Microsoft is behind a demand that OSes must
    boot from a storage device relatively integrated into a machine and
    branded to their Intel CPU serial number in some way...although MS does
    allow booting to thin clients from a networked boot server, right? Is it
    just the idea that USB connections suggest portability, and that
    portability makes it easier to be a pirate or something?

    There must be a reason to make dumb down a BIOS that won't boot
    "external" permanent storage ranging from 0.5 to 200 GB in size, and it's
    easy to dismiss all the arguments that touch upon the subject of security.

    ====

    Okay, the question I have is...can I replace the BIOS in my nx7010 with
    one that actually restores common sense to computer use?

  2. Re: BIOS Has No Boot-From-USB-Connection Option!

    --
    "Always do the right thing: It will delight / Aluminum Foil Deflector Beanies
    some and astound the rest" - Mark Twain / Psychotronic protection, low prices

    "Anyone who uses the term 'intellectual property' is either confused or trying
    to confuse you." - Richard Matthew Stallman

  3. Re: BIOS Has No Boot-From-USB-Connection Option!

    Five By Five wrote:

    > Okay, the question I have is...can I replace the BIOS in my nx7010
    > with one that actually restores common sense to computer use?

    sp30915.exe

  4. Re: BIOS Has No Boot-From-USB-Connection Option!

    "Five By Five" <5x5@5x5.com> wrote in message

    > I started a thread yesterday about putting some kind of Linux---decided on
    > Ubuntu minimal configuration----on a 2 GB USB pocket drive, and I made the
    > apparently asinine assumption that the BIOS could be figured to check for
    > a boot from the USB plug.
    >
    > The machine is a HP nx7010 laptop, and its BIOS allows booting from the
    > hard drive or an "optical device."
    >
    > This is odd, since BIOSes of times past (Mr. BIOS at least, right? Maybe
    > Award and Phoenix too?) gave the option of booting probably even from a
    > parallel port, or maybe even a used toothbrush.

    \

    Nope...it had to be an electric toothbrush

  5. Re: BIOS Has No Boot-From-USB-Connection Option!

    Freddie Lowndes wrote:
    > Five By Five wrote:
    >> Okay, the question I have is...can I replace the BIOS in my nx7010
    >> with one that actually restores common sense to computer use?

    > sp30915.exe

    Are you certain of the boot restriction? Is there a SCSI boot option?

    I google searched 'hp nx7010 USB Boot' and, 'boot USB hp nx7010'and got
    good hits, about USB configurations, and a few messages about booting
    from the USB ports, for USB floppy drive, and Optical drive, which seem
    to be resolved in the old messages.

    So I might infer from the message lists that there is not much of an
    issue with booting from a USB stick.

    But, not having a similar laptop here to test, I can not help more than
    this recommendation to search the links. I do love a challenge. Have
    you asked any forums such as http://LinuxQuestions.org or any of the
    http://lugww.counter.li.org groups lists or forums?

    Best of luck, and I surmise others are working, and can help you.

  6. Re: BIOS Has No Boot-From-USB-Connection Option!

    Five By Five wrote:
    > I started a thread yesterday about putting some kind of Linux---decided on
    > Ubuntu minimal configuration----on a 2 GB USB pocket drive, and I made the
    > apparently asinine assumption that the BIOS could be figured to check for
    > a boot from the USB plug.
    >
    > The machine is a HP nx7010 laptop, and its BIOS allows booting from the
    > hard drive or an "optical device."
    >
    > This is odd, since BIOSes of times past (Mr. BIOS at least, right? Maybe
    > Award and Phoenix too?) gave the option of booting probably even from a
    > parallel port, or maybe even a used toothbrush.
    >
    > If I were in the slightest bit paranoid and given to conspiracy theories,
    > I might possibly suggest that Microsoft is behind a demand that OSes must
    > boot from a storage device relatively integrated into a machine and
    > branded to their Intel CPU serial number in some way...although MS does
    > allow booting to thin clients from a networked boot server, right? Is it
    > just the idea that USB connections suggest portability, and that
    > portability makes it easier to be a pirate or something?
    >
    > There must be a reason to make dumb down a BIOS that won't boot
    > "external" permanent storage ranging from 0.5 to 200 GB in size, and it's
    > easy to dismiss all the arguments that touch upon the subject of security.
    >
    > ====
    >
    > Okay, the question I have is...can I replace the BIOS in my nx7010 with
    > one that actually restores common sense to computer use?

    I advise you to check out the Open Source BIOS project, too.

  7. Re: BIOS Has No Boot-From-USB-Connection Option!

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy Five By Five <5x5@5x5.com> wrote:

    > I started a thread yesterday about putting some kind of Linux---decided on
    > Ubuntu minimal configuration----on a 2 GB USB pocket drive, and I made the
    > apparently asinine assumption that the BIOS could be figured to check for
    > a boot from the USB plug.
    >
    > The machine is a HP nx7010 laptop, and its BIOS allows booting from the
    > hard drive or an "optical device."
    >
    > This is odd, since BIOSes of times past (Mr. BIOS at least, right? Maybe
    > Award and Phoenix too?) gave the option of booting probably even from a
    > parallel port, or maybe even a used toothbrush.
    >
    > If I were in the slightest bit paranoid and given to conspiracy theories,
    > I might possibly suggest that Microsoft is behind a demand that OSes must
    > boot from a storage device relatively integrated into a machine and
    > branded to their Intel CPU serial number in some way...although MS does
    > allow booting to thin clients from a networked boot server, right? Is it
    > just the idea that USB connections suggest portability, and that
    > portability makes it easier to be a pirate or something?

    You're paranoid. HP machines just have really stupid, ****ty biosen. If
    you want a good one and you need to stick with HP, you're going to have to
    get a server.

    > Okay, the question I have is...can I replace the BIOS in my nx7010 with
    > one that actually restores common sense to computer use?

    No, you'd have to actually get a computer that doesn't suck balls. That
    would be something other than a Sony, HP, Toshiba, or Dell.

    -----yttrx

    --
    http://www.yttrx.net

  8. Re: BIOS Has No Boot-From-USB-Connection Option!

    After takin' a swig o' grog, yttrx belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > No, you'd have to actually get a computer that doesn't suck balls. That
    > would be something other than a Sony, HP, Toshiba, or Dell.

    What do you think of Acer boxes?

    Which mobos have the "best" BIOS, in your view?

    Thanks, y!

    --
    "No! There are no significant bugs in our released software that any
    significant number of users want fixed." -- Bill Gates, FOCUS interview

  9. Re: BIOS Has No Boot-From-USB-Connection Option!

    Linonut wrote in comp.os.linux.advocacy:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, yttrx belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> No, you'd have to actually get a computer that doesn't suck balls. That
    >> would be something other than a Sony, HP, Toshiba, or Dell.

    > What do you think of Acer boxes?
    >
    > Which mobos have the "best" BIOS, in your view?

    and in a notebook, please...?

  10. Re: BIOS Has No Boot-From-USB-Connection Option!

    yttrx@yttrx.net (yttrx) wrote in comp.os.linux.advocacy:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy Five By Five <5x5@5x5.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> I started a thread yesterday about putting some kind of
    >> Linux---decided on Ubuntu minimal configuration----on a 2 GB USB
    >> pocket drive, and I made the apparently asinine assumption that the
    >> BIOS could be figured to check for a boot from the USB plug.
    >>
    >> The machine is a HP nx7010 laptop, and its BIOS allows booting from
    >> the hard drive or an "optical device."
    >>
    >> This is odd, since BIOSes of times past (Mr. BIOS at least, right?
    >> Maybe Award and Phoenix too?) gave the option of booting probably
    >> even from a parallel port, or maybe even a used toothbrush.
    >>
    >> If I were in the slightest bit paranoid and given to conspiracy
    >> theories, I might possibly suggest that Microsoft is behind a demand
    >> that OSes must boot from a storage device relatively integrated into
    >> a machine and branded to their Intel CPU serial number in some
    >> way...although MS does allow booting to thin clients from a networked
    >> boot server, right? Is it just the idea that USB connections
    >> suggest portability, and that portability makes it easier to be a
    >> pirate or something?
    >>

    > You're paranoid. HP machines just have really stupid, ****ty biosen.
    > If you want a good one and you need to stick with HP, you're going to
    > have to get a server.
    >

    >> Okay, the question I have is...can I replace the BIOS in my nx7010
    >> with one that actually restores common sense to computer use?
    >>

    > No, you'd have to actually get a computer that doesn't suck balls.
    > That would be something other than a Sony, HP, Toshiba, or Dell.

    This notebook was given for my use when I went to work for my employer. I
    might have been more particular, but then again, I might have myself
    bought an HP because of the rotten things I've heard about Sony and Dell.
    I have seen mixed reviews about Toshiba.

  11. Re: BIOS Has No Boot-From-USB-Connection Option!

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy Linonut wrote:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, yttrx belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> No, you'd have to actually get a computer that doesn't suck balls. That
    >> would be something other than a Sony, HP, Toshiba, or Dell.

    > What do you think of Acer boxes?

    I think Acer is garbage.

    > Which mobos have the "best" BIOS, in your view?

    Asus motherboards have been consistently awesome for
    at least ten years. Tyan is good for multiproc (not
    multicore, multiproc) systems.

    If its a desktop, build it yourself. If its a laptop,
    build it yourself, but get it from here:

    http://www.pugetsystems.com/

    Hell, if you're building a desktop, get it from there
    too. They're a bit pricey, but in return you get perfect
    customer service, responsive tech support, and a fully
    individually tested system with the best warranty in the
    biz.

    -----yttrx

    --
    http://www.yttrx.net

  12. Re: BIOS Has No Boot-From-USB-Connection Option!

    On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 21:10:00 +0000, yttrx wrote:

    > Asus motherboards have been consistently awesome for at least ten years.
    > Tyan is good for multiproc (not multicore, multiproc) systems.

    You sound like my boss/IT head. For years now he's only bought Asus
    motherboards and Antec cases and power supplies. He mostly builds machines
    for graphic design.

    Me, since I work with old stuff, I've found that older Dell Optiplex GXs
    (P3s and P4s) are cheap and solid. I've set several of them up for friends
    and family who are as cheap as I am. They run either XP or Linux well.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  13. Re: BIOS Has No Boot-From-USB-Connection Option!

    On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 14:24:13 +0000, RonB wrote:

    > On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 21:10:00 +0000, yttrx wrote:
    >
    >> Asus motherboards have been consistently awesome for at least ten years.
    >> Tyan is good for multiproc (not multicore, multiproc) systems.

    > You sound like my boss/IT head. For years now he's only bought Asus
    > motherboards and Antec cases and power supplies. He mostly builds machines
    > for graphic design.

    Antec power supplies have problems. I like my antec box, but the power
    supply had to be changed after less than a year. It took me about 2 weeks
    to figure out what the problem was. It would turn off sometimes for no
    reason. And then sometimes it would boot on it's own at random times. At
    first I thought my bios or mb was bad. Then one day I couldn't turn it
    on, so I opened the box and changed thed the powersupply and it has been
    fine since.

    http://www.pjrc.com/about/rambling/antec.html

    --
    stonerfish