MIssing hard drive after kernel upgrade - Linux

This is a discussion on MIssing hard drive after kernel upgrade - Linux ; I had Windows XP on /dev/hda1, and a Windows XP Recovery partition on /dev/hda2. I installed Linux on /dev/hdb1, and followed the prompt to place GRUB on the Windows boot, so I could dual-boot Windows and Linux. This worked fine ...

  1. MIssing hard drive after kernel upgrade

    I had Windows XP on /dev/hda1, and a Windows XP Recovery partition on
    /dev/hda2. I installed Linux on /dev/hdb1, and followed the prompt to
    place GRUB on the Windows boot, so I could dual-boot Windows and Linux.
    This worked fine until I updated the Linux kernel to the current 2.6
    version.

    apt-cache policy kernel-image-$(uname -r) returns:
    kernel-image-2.6.8-3-686:
    Installed: 2.6.8-16sarge6
    Candidate: 2.6.8-16sarge6
    Version Table:
    *** 2.6.8-16sarge6 0
    500 http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages
    100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    2.6.8-16sarge5 0
    500 http://debian.uchicago.edu stable/main Packages

    Now GRUB only contains references to Linux. I can't see the Windows
    partition at all. df returns:

    /dev/hdb1 9424268 1963356 6982180 22% /
    tmpfs 452728 0 452728 0% /dev/shm
    tmpfs 10240 712 9528 7% /dev

    How do I get my Windows back, so I can once again dual-boot? (Not to
    mention access all my Windows stuff.)

  2. Re: MIssing hard drive after kernel upgrade

    GateKeeper wrote:
    > I had Windows XP on /dev/hda1, and a Windows XP Recovery partition on
    > /dev/hda2. I installed Linux on /dev/hdb1, and followed the prompt to
    > place GRUB on the Windows boot, so I could dual-boot Windows and Linux.
    > This worked fine until I updated the Linux kernel to the current 2.6
    > version.
    >
    > apt-cache policy kernel-image-$(uname -r) returns:
    > kernel-image-2.6.8-3-686:
    > Installed: 2.6.8-16sarge6
    > Candidate: 2.6.8-16sarge6
    > Version Table:
    > *** 2.6.8-16sarge6 0
    > 500 http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages
    > 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    > 2.6.8-16sarge5 0
    > 500 http://debian.uchicago.edu stable/main Packages
    >
    > Now GRUB only contains references to Linux. I can't see the Windows
    > partition at all. df returns:
    >
    > Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
    > /dev/hdb1 9424268 1963356 6982180 22% /
    > tmpfs 452728 0 452728 0% /dev/shm
    > tmpfs 10240 712 9528 7% /dev
    >
    > How do I get my Windows back, so I can once again dual-boot? (Not to
    > mention access all my Windows stuff.)

    Never mind. I found a boot CD called, "Super GRUB" that did the trick.

+ Reply to Thread