Access to FAT32 - Suse - Linux

This is a discussion on Access to FAT32 - Suse - Linux ; Hi I made a FAT32 partition for thunderbird mailbox so i can access the same mailbox from windows and linux. My user group is also Users and Root. When i log as root i have permissions for root - view ...

  1. Access to FAT32 - Suse

    Hi

    I made a FAT32 partition for thunderbird mailbox so i can access the
    same mailbox from windows and linux.
    My user group is also Users and Root.
    When i log as root i have permissions for root - view and modify
    group - users - view and modify
    others - view

    1. why cant i modify permissions for others?
    2. why cant i read and modify the partition although i have set the
    permissions?

    From thunderbird on Linux i can see my mailbox, but i cant modify it.

    Darko

  2. Re: Access to FAT32 - Suse

    For FAT32, you can set the permissions for the whole file system when
    mounting it. You can also set different permissions for both files
    and folders (this is useful because folders need to be "executabe" in
    order to list their contents).

    Setting these permissions is done with mount options, so read the
    manual pages for your mount command(s). If the file system is listed
    in your fstab, then make your changes there.

    Ben

  3. Re: Access to FAT32 - Suse

    Darko Cakardic wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I made a FAT32 partition for thunderbird mailbox so i can access the
    > same mailbox from windows and linux.
    > My user group is also Users and Root.
    > When i log as root i have permissions for root - view and modify
    > group - users - view and modify
    > others - view
    >
    > 1. why cant i modify permissions for others?
    > 2. why cant i read and modify the partition although i have set the
    > permissions?

    fat32 has no idea of file permissions, therefore the fat32 fs driver for
    Linux implements them on a /partition/ wide basis and they're set at mount time:

    ----8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<----
    Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 13:14:44 +0100
    From: Robert Newson
    Subject: Re: Write permission on Fat-Partition to Users

    Tobias Portmann wrote:

    > I have Debian 3.1 installed on my computer. I have also M$ XP. That I
    > can use the MP3-Collection on both OS I made an FAT-Partition. On Debian
    > the users have no write permition to the partition. How can I change
    > this? edit the fstab File? This ist the fstab-entry for my Partition:
    > >>/dev/hda7 /music vfat defaults,user 0 2

    > > How can I change the permission, that every user can read and write?
    > > Thanks.

    Question asked many times...

    $ man mount
    FILESYSTEM SPECIFIC MOUNT OPTIONS
    Mount options for fat
    (Note: fat is not a separate filesystem, but a common part
    of the msdos, umsdos and vfat filesystems.)
    uid=value and gid=value
    Set the owner and group of all files. (Default: the
    uid and gid of the current process.)

    umask=value
    Set the umask (the bitmask of the permissions that
    are not present). The default is the umask of the
    current process. The value is given in octal.

    At boot time, the process that uses /etc/fstab to mount the fs's is running
    as root, thus any [v]fat partition is mounted as uid=root, gid=root with the
    default umask (usually 022 - meaning rwxr-xr-x).

    If you don't care about anyone being able to write, add option umask=0
    (rwxrwxrwx):

    /dev/hda7 /music vfat defaults,umask=0 0 2

    Or if you want to allow only selected users to be able to write there (as I
    have), create a vfat group on a free gid (eg 499) and add that with
    umask=002 (rwxrwxr-x):

    /dev/hda7 /music vfat uid=0,gid=499,umask=002 0 2

    and add users you want to write to the vfat partition to the vfat group.

+ Reply to Thread