nVidia driver installation via bash - Linux

This is a discussion on nVidia driver installation via bash - Linux ; I have the base debian install, and I have downloaded the X-windows server system (so I can use KDE). But I have an nVidia GeForce 6100 graphcs card, and I don't know how to install it under Linux. I don't ...

  1. nVidia driver installation via bash

    I have the base debian install, and I have downloaded the X-windows
    server system (so I can use KDE). But I have an nVidia GeForce 6100
    graphcs card, and I don't know how to install it under Linux. I don't
    even know how to edit configuration files, so go easy on me.

    I have downloaded what appear to be the correct drivers from
    . The drivers are currently
    located in a Zip file on a FAT32 partition on my Windows drive.

    1. How do I get the drivers on my Linux partition? I have a working
    network connection (I used apt to install packages), if that helps.

    2. How do I install the nVidia drivers, and how do I reconfigure the
    x-system to use the correct driver?

    Thanks in advance for your help

  2. Re: nVidia driver installation via bash

    GateKeeper schreef:
    > I have the base debian install, and I have downloaded the X-windows
    > server system (so I can use KDE). But I have an nVidia GeForce 6100
    > graphcs card, and I don't know how to install it under Linux. I don't
    > even know how to edit configuration files, so go easy on me.
    >
    > I have downloaded what appear to be the correct drivers from
    > . The drivers are currently
    > located in a Zip file on a FAT32 partition on my Windows drive.

    I never had it on zip file. I guess you have wrong driver. The driver
    ussualy have ".run" extension on it.
    > 1. How do I get the drivers on my Linux partition? I have a working
    > network connection (I used apt to install packages), if that helps.

    download the driver with this command "wget
    http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-9746/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9746-pkg1.run"

    > 2. How do I install the nVidia drivers, and how do I reconfigure the
    > x-system to use the correct driver?

    It is pretty easy to install but you have to install your kernel source
    first and you have to kill X first "init 3". Then make sure the driver
    you just downloaded is executable otherwise type "chmod a+x
    NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9746-pkg1.run"
    then "./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9746-pkg1.run" and follow the questions.

    > Thanks in advance for your help

  3. Re: nVidia driver installation via bash

    nospam wrote:
    > GateKeeper schreef:
    >> I have the base debian install, and I have downloaded the X-windows
    >> server system (so I can use KDE). But I have an nVidia GeForce 6100
    >> graphcs card, and I don't know how to install it under Linux. I don't
    >> even know how to edit configuration files, so go easy on me.
    >>
    >> I have downloaded what appear to be the correct drivers from
    >> . The drivers are currently
    >> located in a Zip file on a FAT32 partition on my Windows drive.
    >>

    > I never had it on zip file. I guess you have wrong driver. The driver
    > ussualy have ".run" extension on it.
    >> 1. How do I get the drivers on my Linux partition? I have a working
    >> network connection (I used apt to install packages), if that helps.

    > download the driver with this command "wget
    > http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-9746/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9746-pkg1.run"
    >> 2. How do I install the nVidia drivers, and how do I reconfigure the
    >> x-system to use the correct driver?

    > It is pretty easy to install but you have to install your kernel source
    > first and you have to kill X first "init 3". Then make sure the driver
    > you just downloaded is executable otherwise type "chmod a+x
    > NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9746-pkg1.run"
    > then "./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9746-pkg1.run" and follow the questions.
    >> Thanks in advance for your help

    That didn't really work. Linux complained that I hadn't put the kernel
    source files where the installer could find them. Since I had no idea
    what that mean, I had to quit. Curiously enough, I was able to use KDE
    anyway. Apparently the new 2.6 kernel that I just installed enabled me
    to use X.

    But now I have a new problem. When I reconfigured my installation, I
    opted to reinstall GRUB, and now I can't access Windows anymore.

  4. Re: nVidia driver installation via bash

    > That didn't really work. Linux complained that I hadn't put the kernel
    > source files where the installer could find them. Since I had no idea
    > what that mean, I had to quit. Curiously enough, I was able to use KDE
    > anyway. Apparently the new 2.6 kernel that I just installed enabled me
    > to use X.

    Have you installed kernel-source? It should placed in /usr/src
    > But now I have a new problem. When I reconfigured my installation, I
    > opted to reinstall GRUB, and now I can't access Windows anymore.

    How is your menu.lst look like?

  5. Re: nVidia driver installation via bash

    nospam wrote:
    >> That didn't really work. Linux complained that I hadn't put the kernel
    >> source files where the installer could find them. Since I had no idea
    >> what that mean, I had to quit. Curiously enough, I was able to use KDE
    >> anyway. Apparently the new 2.6 kernel that I just installed enabled me
    >> to use X.
    >>

    > Have you installed kernel-source? It should placed in /usr/src
    >> But now I have a new problem. When I reconfigured my installation, I
    >> opted to reinstall GRUB, and now I can't access Windows anymore.

    > How is your menu.lst look like?

    I don't know how to find the current version. GRUB has been written to
    my other hard drive /dev/hda0, but I cannot view that drive, as it is
    NTFS. In fact, running df only shows:

    /dev/hdb1 9424268 1963356 6982180 22% /
    tmpfs 452728 0 452728 0% /dev/shm
    tmpfs 10240 712 9528 7% /dev

  6. Re: nVidia driver installation via bash

    GateKeeper schreef:
    > nospam wrote:
    >>> That didn't really work. Linux complained that I hadn't put the kernel
    >>> source files where the installer could find them. Since I had no idea
    >>> what that mean, I had to quit. Curiously enough, I was able to use KDE
    >>> anyway. Apparently the new 2.6 kernel that I just installed enabled me
    >>> to use X.
    >>>

    >> Have you installed kernel-source? It should placed in /usr/src
    >>> But now I have a new problem. When I reconfigured my installation, I
    >>> opted to reinstall GRUB, and now I can't access Windows anymore.

    >> How is your menu.lst look like?

    > I don't know how to find the current version. GRUB has been written to
    > my other hard drive /dev/hda0, but I cannot view that drive, as it is
    > NTFS. In fact, running df only shows:
    >
    > Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
    > /dev/hdb1 9424268 1963356 6982180 22% /
    > tmpfs 452728 0 452728 0% /dev/shm
    > tmpfs 10240 712 9528 7% /dev

    Its seems that you installed GRUB on your Windows partition (/dev/hda0).
    Mount your Windows partition to see if all your file still there. See if
    you can fix it with your Windows cd, try fixboot and fixmbr to repair.
    Then install GRUB on first drive mbr or diskette.

  7. Re: nVidia driver installation via bash

    nospam wrote:
    > GateKeeper schreef:
    >>>>
    >>> Have you installed kernel-source? It should placed in /usr/src
    >>> How is your menu.lst look like?

    >> I don't know how to find the current version. GRUB has been written to
    >> my other hard drive /dev/hda0, but I cannot view that drive, as it is
    >> NTFS. In fact, running df only shows:
    >>
    >> Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
    >> /dev/hdb1 9424268 1963356 6982180 22% /
    >> tmpfs 452728 0 452728 0% /dev/shm
    >> tmpfs 10240 712 9528 7% /dev

    > Its seems that you installed GRUB on your Windows partition (/dev/hda0).
    > Mount your Windows partition to see if all your file still there. See if
    > you can fix it with your Windows cd, try fixboot and fixmbr to repair.
    > Then install GRUB on first drive mbr or diskette.

    How do I mount my Windows partition? It is NTFS; aren't NTFS partitions
    invisible to Linux?

  8. Re: nVidia driver installation via bash

    On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 21:25:47 -0500, GateKeeper wrote:

    > How do I mount my Windows partition?

    mkdir /ntfs
    mount -t auto /dev/hdXY /ntfs # you solve for X Y

    When in doubt there is
    man -k mount

    For extra points
    man mount
    man fstab

    > aren't NTFS partitions invisible to Linux?

    You have it bss Aackwards. Linux is unknown to Windows.

  9. Re: nVidia driver installation via bash

    After takin' a swig o' grog, GateKeeper belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > That didn't really work. Linux complained that I hadn't put the kernel
    > source files where the installer could find them. Since I had no idea
    > what that mean, I had to quit. Curiously enough, I was able to use KDE
    > anyway. Apparently the new 2.6 kernel that I just installed enabled me
    > to use X.

    Debian will, by default, install the open-source version of the nVidia
    drivers. It is called "nv".

    Install the Debian kernel header package that matches your installed
    kernel version ("uname -a" to see the version). That should put the
    headers in /usr/src/linux or some such directory.

    The nVidia installer will find them, or let you tell it where they are,
    I can remember which.

    > But now I have a new problem. When I reconfigured my installation, I
    > opted to reinstall GRUB, and now I can't access Windows anymore.

    Try to do only one major operation at a time. (Learned by hard
    experience.)

    Google for a howto on reinstalling grub on a machine that has Windows.

    In the future, you can save some trouble by saving your
    /boot/grub/menu.lst in a safe place where you can get it if something
    blows up.

    --
    Loose bits sink chips.

+ Reply to Thread