quick: good/cheap video capture card for linux - Linux

This is a discussion on quick: good/cheap video capture card for linux - Linux ; hey guys, im in need of a good video capture card in linux, ie, one that works. my options are as listed here: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/category/category_slc.asp?Recs=10&Nav=|c:1427|&Sort=4 so i guess the question is more specifically, "hey! can anyone tell me if those sabrent ...

  1. quick: good/cheap video capture card for linux

    hey guys, im in need of a good video capture card in linux, ie, one that
    works. my options are as listed here:

    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/category/category_slc.asp?Recs=10&Nav=|c:1427|&Sort=4

    so i guess the question is more specifically, "hey! can anyone tell me
    if those sabrent cards or usb device are any good??" (and the kworld one
    too)

    does anyone have any experience?? i really want to avoid spending more
    than $40 on it.. and usb would be great due to portability.. but, i want
    something that will work with my linux. thanks in advance.

    oh, im also pressed for time, (around 10 days /feb 10th or so).. ive
    looked it up on compatiblity lists.. but you know how that goes.. thanks
    again.

    --
    insaner
    www.insaner.com

  2. Re: quick: good/cheap video capture card for linux

    insaner wrote:
    > hey guys, im in need of a good video capture card in linux, ie, one that
    > works. my options are as listed here:
    >
    > http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/category/category_slc.asp?Recs=10&Nav=|c:1427|&Sort=4
    >

    > so i guess the question is more specifically, "hey! can anyone tell me
    > if those sabrent cards or usb device are any good??" (and the kworld one
    > too)

    google.com gave the following link with the same question discussed at a forum
    http://forum.byopvr.com/dvr/index.php/topic,1708.0.html

    Avoid USB, no matter if you are using linux of evil bills stuff, they are slow
    and therefore you either get smaller resolutions of worse quality or even
    framedrops.

    > does anyone have any experience?? i really want to avoid spending more
    > than $40 on it.. and usb would be great due to portability.. but, i want
    > something that will work with my linux. thanks in advance.

    I have Hauppauge card, those are the best supported, but those cost a bit
    more, but you get most likely more quality.

    --

    //Aho

  3. Re: quick: good/cheap video capture card for linux

    J.O. Aho wrote:
    > insaner wrote:
    >> hey guys, im in need of a good video capture card in linux, ie, one
    >> that works. my options are as listed here:
    >>
    >> http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/category/category_slc.asp?Recs=10&Nav=|c:1427|&Sort=4
    >>

    >> so i guess the question is more specifically, "hey! can anyone tell me
    >> if those sabrent cards or usb device are any good??" (and the kworld
    >> one too)

    > google.com gave the following link with the same question discussed at a
    > forum
    > http://forum.byopvr.com/dvr/index.php/topic,1708.0.html
    >
    > Avoid USB, no matter if you are using linux of evil bills stuff, they
    > are slow and therefore you either get smaller resolutions of worse
    > quality or even framedrops.
    >

    >> does anyone have any experience?? i really want to avoid spending more
    >> than $40 on it.. and usb would be great due to portability.. but, i
    >> want something that will work with my linux. thanks in advance.

    > I have Hauppauge card, those are the best supported, but those cost a
    > bit more, but you get most likely more quality.

    thanks!!! that was incredibly helpful! i guess when you type out
    requests in usenet you use "keywords" that one wouldnt when going to
    google.. ie, "sabrent" in my case.. haha.. thanks again!!

    --
    insaner
    www.insaner.com

  4. Re: quick: good/cheap video capture card for linux

    insaner wrote:
    > J.O. Aho wrote:
    >> insaner wrote:
    >>> hey guys, im in need of a good video capture card in linux, ie, one
    >>> that works. my options are as listed here:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/category/category_slc.asp?Recs=10&Nav=|c:1427|&Sort=4
    >>>

    >>> so i guess the question is more specifically, "hey! can anyone tell
    >>> me if those sabrent cards or usb device are any good??" (and the
    >>> kworld one too)

    >> google.com gave the following link with the same question discussed at
    >> a forum
    >> http://forum.byopvr.com/dvr/index.php/topic,1708.0.html
    >>
    >> Avoid USB, no matter if you are using linux of evil bills stuff, they
    >> are slow and therefore you either get smaller resolutions of worse
    >> quality or even framedrops.
    >>

    >>> does anyone have any experience?? i really want to avoid spending
    >>> more than $40 on it.. and usb would be great due to portability..
    >>> but, i want something that will work with my linux. thanks in advance.

    >> I have Hauppauge card, those are the best supported, but those cost a
    >> bit more, but you get most likely more quality.
    >>

    > thanks!!! that was incredibly helpful! i guess when you type out
    > requests in usenet you use "keywords" that one wouldnt when going to
    > google.. ie, "sabrent" in my case.. haha.. thanks again!!

    I do always use "linux" in my search, or use http://www.google.com/linux which
    has a bit more automatic filtering.

    --

    //Aho