Re: Linux = Perpetual Failure - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: Linux = Perpetual Failure - Linux ; Intrepid Logic wrote: > On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 18:32:56 -0500, VistaKing wrote: >> >> You are just too stupid to noice. > > Maybe you are the one stupid enough not to notice that none of these > "problems" ...

  1. Re: Linux = Perpetual Failure

    Intrepid Logic wrote:
    > On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 18:32:56 -0500, VistaKing wrote:
    >>
    >> You are just too stupid to noice.

    > Maybe you are the one stupid enough not to notice that none of these
    > "problems" include frequent crashes, memory holes and countless
    > security vunerabilities... not to mention the fact that MS software
    > has a habbit of changing settings to what Bill thinks is best.

    I'd be the first to agree that WinDoze has its problems, but I haven't
    noticed my XP install changing settings on its own. I guess what I
    configure, stays configured.
    And while I do have crashes from time to time (especially in games),
    most of these are thanks to f*#!%$king screwy NVidia drivers rather than
    any inherent problems in the OS.

    Memory holes, I'll give you.

    >> If Linux does exactly what you want then you are a waste of skin.

    > Hardly. Somebody who prefers not to waste their money on ****, would
    > be a more acurate description of myself and fellow Linux users.

    Unfortunately, Diablo II (along with many other games) doesn't have a
    native Linux version, which leaves gamers generally stuck with WinDoze.
    (Yes, we could dual-boot, but not all of us have an unlimited amount of
    hard disk space...)

    * I always hope for the best. Experience, unfortunately, has taught me
    to expect the worst.

    Yahoo: evilbill_agqx
    Web: http://www.evilbill.org.uk

  2. Re: Linux = Perpetual Failure

    EvilBill wrote:

    > Unfortunately, Diablo II (along with many other games) doesn't have a
    > native Linux version, which leaves gamers generally stuck with WinDoze.
    > (Yes, we could dual-boot, but not all of us have an unlimited amount of
    > hard disk space...)

    Unless you live in the Third World, you can buy huge hard drives for next to
    nothing these days. I just bought a 250 Gb drive for <40 (<$80 US)!

    C.

  3. Re: Linux = Perpetual Failure

    * EvilBill wrote in comp.os.linux:

    > Intrepid Logic wrote:
    >> On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 18:32:56 -0500, VistaKing wrote:
    >>>
    >>> You are just too stupid to noice.

    >> Maybe you are the one stupid enough not to notice that none of these
    >> "problems" include frequent crashes, memory holes and countless
    >> security vunerabilities... not to mention the fact that MS software
    >> has a habbit of changing settings to what Bill thinks is best.
    >>

    > I'd be the first to agree that WinDoze has its problems, but I haven't
    > noticed my XP install changing settings on its own. I guess what I
    > configure, stays configured.

    Yeah, sure it does, just like it remembers folder settings from session
    to session, sure. I have not however ever seen my Linux box change
    settings with the exception of security realated permission issues.
    Whats that? You've never heard of security, oh...

    > And while I do have crashes from time to time (especially in games),
    > most of these are thanks to f*#!%$king screwy NVidia drivers rather
    > than any inherent problems in the OS.

    Funny, I use Nvidia drivers also on my Linux boxen, but dont seem to have
    driver related crashes and since Nvidia writes the driver, I guess it
    must be something else thats crashing your box...

    > Memory holes, I'll give you. >
    >>>
    >>> If Linux does exactly what you want then you are a waste of skin.

    >> Hardly. Somebody who prefers not to waste their money on ****, would
    >> be a more acurate description of myself and fellow Linux users.
    >>

    > Unfortunately, Diablo II (along with many other games) doesn't have a
    > native Linux version,

    So?

    http://frankscorner.org/index.php?p=diablo2

    > which leaves gamers generally stuck with WinDoze.

    Nope.

    > (Yes, we could dual-boot, but not all of us have an unlimited amount of
    > hard disk space...)

    What a BS excuse, HD space is so cheap its practically free.

    --
    David

  4. Re: Linux = Perpetual Failure

    SINNER wrote:
    > * EvilBill wrote in comp.os.linux:
    >

    >> I'd be the first to agree that WinDoze has its problems, but I
    >> haven't noticed my XP install changing settings on its own. I guess
    >> what I configure, stays configured.

    > Yeah, sure it does, just like it remembers folder settings from
    > session to session, sure.

    It does on mine, actually. I certainly haven't had to change my folder
    settings since I set them the way I want them.
    The exception is the My Pictures folder which tends to default back to
    Thumbnail view in XP, but I don't use it anyway so no great problem.

    > I have not however ever seen my Linux box
    > change settings with the exception of security realated permission
    > issues. Whats that? You've never heard of security, oh...

    I've got a hardware firewall in my router, my virus scanner's updated on
    a daily basis, I don't go to any dodgy websites, spam e-mails get
    deleted unopened, I keep up to date with all of M$'s security patches
    and I don't use Internet Explorer, the only way my PC could be more
    secure is if I disconnected it from the Net...

    >> And while I do have crashes from time to time (especially in games),
    >> most of these are thanks to f*#!%$king screwy NVidia drivers rather
    >> than any inherent problems in the OS.

    > Funny, I use Nvidia drivers also on my Linux boxen, but dont seem to
    > have driver related crashes and since Nvidia writes the driver, I
    > guess it must be something else thats crashing your box...

    Or NVidia drivers for Windows are just ****. I'm far from the only
    person to have problems with anything later than about the 74.xx
    releases...
    (Admittedly, my graphics card is a POS anyway, though. LOL)

    >> Memory holes, I'll give you. >

    >>> Hardly. Somebody who prefers not to waste their money on ****, would
    >>> be a more acurate description of myself and fellow Linux users.

    >> Unfortunately, Diablo II (along with many other games) doesn't have a
    >> native Linux version,

    > So?
    >
    > http://frankscorner.org/index.php?p=diablo2

    Which only works for version 1.09, whereas you need version 1.11b to
    play on Battle.net. And that's only one example. Taking a look at the
    lists of games that can be made to work under WINE, I see a lot missing
    that I play regularly. The Age of Empires series, Rome Total War, Quake
    4, so on and so forth.
    To be fair though, the problem there isn't Linux - it's the fact that
    most developers still don't provide native Linux versions of their
    games. I think only Id Software do so for all their games.

    >> which leaves gamers generally stuck with WinDoze.

    > Nope.
    >
    >> (Yes, we could dual-boot, but not all of us have an unlimited amount
    >> of hard disk space...)

    > What a BS excuse, HD space is so cheap its practically free.

    I'm broke. :P And S-ATA drives are still more costly than the older
    EIDE/UATA ones.

    * I always hope for the best. Experience, unfortunately, has taught me
    to expect the worst.

    Yahoo: evilbill_agqx
    Web: http://www.evilbill.org.uk

+ Reply to Thread