Multimedia on Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on Multimedia on Linux - Linux ; Having a "Asus DiGiMatrix" (P4 2,53GHz/1GB/250Gb) equipped for all kind of dvd/TV/radio/musik etc. The included software you are supposed to use named "Home Theater": http://www.abc.se/~m10901/hometheater.html If I want to use a Linux OS, what distribution are suitable to keeping on ...

  1. Multimedia on Linux

    Having a "Asus DiGiMatrix" (P4 2,53GHz/1GB/250Gb) equipped for all kind
    of dvd/TV/radio/musik etc.

    The included software you are supposed to use named "Home Theater":

    http://www.abc.se/~m10901/hometheater.html

    If I want to use a Linux OS, what distribution are suitable to keeping
    on access these functions / replace the "Home Theater"?

    /M
    --
    SUBLIMITETSAKADEMIEN
    http://mac.abc.se/~pictor/

  2. Re: Multimedia on Linux

    My computer is too old for this so I haven't tried them yet but I've
    read about:

    http://freevo.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html
    http://www.mythtv.org/modules.php?name=MythFeatures

    Both look nice!

    Maybe google on freevo and mythtv! There might be other I'm not aware of!

    JC

    Marcus wrote:
    > Having a "Asus DiGiMatrix" (P4 2,53GHz/1GB/250Gb) equipped for all kind
    > of dvd/TV/radio/musik etc.
    >
    > The included software you are supposed to use named "Home Theater":
    >
    > http://www.abc.se/~m10901/hometheater.html
    >
    > If I want to use a Linux OS, what distribution are suitable to keeping
    > on access these functions / replace the "Home Theater"?
    >
    > /M

  3. Re: Multimedia on Linux

    Jean Cote wrote:
    >> If I want to use a Linux OS, what distribution are suitable to keeping
    >> on access these functions / replace the "Home Theater"?

    > My computer is too old for this so I haven't tried them yet but I've
    > read about:
    >
    > http://freevo.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html
    > http://www.mythtv.org/modules.php?name=MythFeatures
    >
    > Both look nice!
    >
    > Maybe google on freevo and mythtv! There might be other I'm not aware of!

    There are more, just search at freshmeat.net, but FreeVo and MythTV are the
    best. Myself I have tested FreeVo a couple of years ago and it's easy to
    configure and add extra functionalities. Both MythTV and FreeVo can offer a
    lot more functionality than Home Theater and it's not too difficult to make
    your own plug-ins if you feel something missing. Both FreeVo and MythTV can be
    found in commercial PVR products.

    --

    //Aho

  4. Re: Multimedia on Linux

    J.O. Aho wrote:
    > There are more, just search at freshmeat.net, but FreeVo and MythTV are the
    > best. Myself I have tested FreeVo a couple of years ago and it's easy to
    > configure and add extra functionalities.

    Freevo? I had a very annoying time trying to install that
    (and its dependencies, both specified and unspecified) on
    my Slackware box. I gave up and improved my dialog
    based scripts instead.

    #Paul

  5. Re: Multimedia on Linux

    kinslerp@delillo.lsr.ph.ic.ac.uk wrote:
    > J.O. Aho wrote:
    >> There are more, just search at freshmeat.net, but FreeVo and MythTV are the
    >> best. Myself I have tested FreeVo a couple of years ago and it's easy to
    >> configure and add extra functionalities.

    > Freevo? I had a very annoying time trying to install that
    > (and its dependencies, both specified and unspecified) on
    > my Slackware box. I gave up and improved my dialog
    > based scripts instead.

    I can't say how it's in slack, but gentoo it's quite simple, I did test mythtv
    at the same time and it installed okey, but getting it to run was another story.

    --

    //Aho

  6. Re: Multimedia on Linux

    In alt.os.linux kinslerp@delillo.lsr.ph.ic.ac.uk:
    > J.O. Aho wrote:
    >> There are more, just search at freshmeat.net, but FreeVo and MythTV are the
    >> best. Myself I have tested FreeVo a couple of years ago and it's easy to
    >> configure and add extra functionalities.

    > Freevo? I had a very annoying time trying to install that
    > (and its dependencies, both specified and unspecified) on
    > my Slackware box. I gave up and improved my dialog
    > based scripts instead.

    Doesn't look that complicated:

    # yum install freevo
    [..]
    Package Arch Version Repository Size
    Installing:
    freevo noarch 1.6.2-1.fc5 freevo 13 M
    Installing for dependencies:
    lsdvd x86_64 0.16-2.fc5.rf dries 24 k
    mmpython i386 0.4.10-1.fc5 freevo 315 k
    mx x86_64 2.0.6-2.2.1 release 572 k
    pygame x86_64 1.7.1-9.fc5 extras 709 k
    python-imaging x86_64 1.1.5-5.fc5 extras 408 k
    python-twisted x86_64 1.3.0-5.fc5 extras 3.3 M
    tix x86_64 1:8.4.0-6 updates 339 k
    tk x86_64 8.4.13-1.1 updates 896 k
    tkinter x86_64 2.4.3-9.FC5 updates 280 k
    Updating for dependencies:
    python x86_64 2.4.3-9.FC5 updates 5.9 M
    python-devel x86_64 2.4.3-9.FC5 updates 3.0 M

    Transaction Summary
    Install 10 Package(s)
    Update 2 Package(s)
    Remove 0 Package(s)
    Total download size: 29 M

    Note, this is Fedora Core 5 x86_64.

    #bofh excuse 241: _Rosin_ core solder? But...

+ Reply to Thread