linux - Linux

This is a discussion on linux - Linux ; Does anyone know how to enter the linux enviornment in non protected mode? Bill...

  1. linux

    Does anyone know how to enter the linux enviornment in non protected
    mode?

    Bill

  2. Re: linux

    Bill Cunningham wrote:

    > Does anyone know how to enter the linux enviornment in non protected
    > mode?

    Yes, but you have to provide an excellent reason as to why.

    --
    Contained within the Microsoft EULA;
    This Limited Warranty is void if failure of the Product has resulted

  3. Re: linux

    Lenard wrote:
    >> Does anyone know how to enter the linux enviornment in non protected
    >> mode?

    > Yes, but you have to provide an excellent reason as to why.

    He wants to reverse engineer the system BIOS, so needs to be able to read from
    the real mode address space.

    Can he do this from easily from Linux, or is he best just to boot from a DOS
    disk, dump the data onto a floppy, and then reboot into Linux?

    His machine has a 64 bit processor, but I don't suppose that makes any
    difference to the architecture.

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    International: 0044 121 247 1596

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  4. Re: linux

    Mark Hobley wrote:

    > Lenard wrote:
    >>> Does anyone know how to enter the linux enviornment in non protected
    >>> mode?

    >> Yes, but you have to provide an excellent reason as to why.

    > He wants to reverse engineer the system BIOS, so needs to be able to read
    > from the real mode address space.
    >
    > Can he do this from easily from Linux, or is he best just to boot from a
    > DOS disk, dump the data onto a floppy, and then reboot into Linux?
    >
    > His machine has a 64 bit processor, but I don't suppose that makes any
    > difference to the architecture.

    It is best to simply download the BIOS from the system manufacturer, does
    not matter about the OS or architecture. Using DOS and the "BIOS flash
    utility" is how most manufactures allow users to replace/upgrade the BIOS
    anyhow.

    Also google for nasm

    This might be helpful also; http://acpi.sourceforge.net/dsdt/index.php
    (follow the links)

    --
    Contained within the Microsoft EULA;
    This Limited Warranty is void if failure of the Product has resulted
    from accident, abuse, misapplication, abnormal use or a virus.

  5. Re: linux

    "Lenard" wrote in message
    news:I5sqh.1149$O02.963@newssvr11.news.prodigy.net ...
    > Mark Hobley wrote:

    >>> Yes, but you have to provide an excellent reason as to why.

    >> He wants to reverse engineer the system BIOS, so needs to be able to read
    >> from the real mode address space.
    >>
    >> Can he do this from easily from Linux, or is he best just to boot from a
    >> DOS disk, dump the data onto a floppy, and then reboot into Linux?

    How would you do this? I want a BIOS to use with a simulator or emulator
    of the computer I am using. As if this architecture was going to become
    obsolete anytime soon like the PDPs are now.

    >> His machine has a 64 bit processor, but I don't suppose that makes any
    >> difference to the architecture.

    > It is best to simply download the BIOS from the system manufacturer, does
    > not matter about the OS or architecture. Using DOS and the "BIOS flash
    > utility" is how most manufactures allow users to replace/upgrade the BIOS
    > anyhow.
    >
    > Also google for nasm
    >
    > This might be helpful also; http://acpi.sourceforge.net/dsdt/index.php
    > (follow the links)
    >
    > --
    > Contained within the Microsoft EULA;
    > This Limited Warranty is void if failure of the Product has resulted
    > from accident, abuse, misapplication, abnormal use or a virus.

  6. Re: linux

    Bill Cunningham wrote:

    > How would you do this? I want a BIOS to use with a simulator or emulator
    > of the computer I am using. As if this architecture was going to become
    > obsolete anytime soon like the PDPs are now.

    What is the emulator you are using?

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West
    QUINTON
    Birmingham
    B32 1QE

    Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    International: 0044 121 247 1596

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  7. Re: linux

    "Mark Hobley" wrote in message
    > Bill Cunningham wrote:
    >
    >> How would you do this? I want a BIOS to use with a simulator or
    >> emulator
    >> of the computer I am using. As if this architecture was going to become
    >> obsolete anytime soon like the PDPs are now.

    > What is the emulator you are using?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Mark.
    >
    > --
    > Mark Hobley
    > 393 Quinton Road West
    > QUINTON
    > Birmingham
    > B32 1QE

    I was thinking about altering some of the source with Bob Supnik's
    simulator. It might all be a waste of time. This architecture is cutting
    edge not obsolete.

    Bill

  8. Re: linux

    Bill Cunningham wrote:

    > I was thinking about altering some of the source with Bob Supnik's
    > simulator. It might all be a waste of time. This architecture is cutting
    > edge not obsolete.

    I am not familiar with this product, but does it actually need a bios, or is
    that functionality provided by the simulator?

    Have you tried to run one of the software kits on it?

    If the software kit works, then the simulator is working.

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West
    QUINTON
    Birmingham
    B32 1QE

    Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    International: 0044 121 247 1596

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  9. Re: linux

    > I am not familiar with this product, but does it actually need a bios, or
    > is
    > that functionality provided by the simulator?
    >
    > Have you tried to run one of the software kits on it?
    >
    > If the software kit works, then the simulator is working.
    >
    > Mark.
    >
    > --
    > Mark Hobley
    > 393 Quinton Road West
    > QUINTON
    > Birmingham
    > B32 1QE

    Yes I have run several of the software kits. The VAX needs an executable
    bios loaded first before the sim will work. The rest of the kits don't seem
    to use it. Maybe these architecture from bygone ddidn't use a bios.

    Bill

  10. Re: linux

    Bill Cunningham wrote:

    > Yes I have run several of the software kits. The VAX needs an executable
    > bios loaded first before the sim will work. The rest of the kits don't seem
    > to use it. Maybe these architecture from bygone ddidn't use a bios.

    Ok, you don't need a bios, but you do need to know the computer and the
    processor inside and out. Your own emulation code covers the bootstrapping and
    the service calls provided by the bios.

    You need to be a wizard at assembly language programming, and familiar with
    the machine code instructions and behaviour, because an emulator mimics a
    machine at processor instruction level.

    Your emulation code needs to cover the processor instructions, the disk
    handling, mapping instructions to manipulate the physical disk to your virtual
    disk device, a video display handler, keyboard input, system and clock
    interrupts, memory mapping, and printer and network services if you are
    providing these.

    You may want to look at a virtual machine project, and see how it all works.

    You also need a good method of debugging, so that when code within the
    emulator does not run, you can look at the instructions leading to the crash,
    and trace them to parts of your emulator that cannot handle them.

    Emulation is a big project. You need lots of existing code, and a good
    development system.

    You will enjoy doing it though, I am sure.

    Good Luck!

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley