9.3 to 10.2 Linux Newbie - Linux

This is a discussion on 9.3 to 10.2 Linux Newbie - Linux ; Hi Is it straight forward upgrading from SuSe 9.3 to 10.2 or does the 9.3 have to be uninstalled first? Also do existing applications on the 9.3 such as Java, Tomcat and MySQL have to be reinstalled also? I am ...

  1. 9.3 to 10.2 Linux Newbie

    Hi

    Is it straight forward upgrading from SuSe 9.3 to 10.2 or does the 9.3 have
    to be uninstalled first?

    Also do existing applications on the 9.3 such as Java, Tomcat and MySQL have
    to be reinstalled also?

    I am thinking of the upgrade but don't want to have to spend hours doing it.

    Thanks in anticipation.

    Kevin

  2. Re: 9.3 to 10.2 Linux Newbie

    KevinRobinson wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Is it straight forward upgrading from SuSe 9.3 to 10.2 or does the 9.3 have
    > to be uninstalled first?
    >
    > Also do existing applications on the 9.3 such as Java, Tomcat and MySQL have
    > to be reinstalled also?
    >
    > I am thinking of the upgrade but don't want to have to spend hours doing it.
    >

    > Thanks in anticipation.
    >
    > Kevin

    I downloaded the 10.2 dvd and did a clean install, removing all the old
    linux partitions. Works fine.

  3. Re: 9.3 to 10.2 Linux Newbie

    How do you remove all the old linux partitions?

    Regards

    "Snap Whipcrack.............." wrote in message
    > KevinRobinson wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Is it straight forward upgrading from SuSe 9.3 to 10.2 or does the 9.3
    >> have
    >> to be uninstalled first?
    >>
    >> Also do existing applications on the 9.3 such as Java, Tomcat and MySQL
    >> have
    >> to be reinstalled also?
    >>
    >> I am thinking of the upgrade but don't want to have to spend hours doing
    >> it.
    >>

    >> Thanks in anticipation.
    >>
    >> Kevin
    >>

    > I downloaded the 10.2 dvd and did a clean install, removing all the old
    > linux partitions. Works fine.

  4. Re: 9.3 to 10.2 Linux Newbie

    KevinRobinson wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Is it straight forward upgrading from SuSe 9.3 to 10.2 or does the 9.3
    > have to be uninstalled first?
    >
    > Also do existing applications on the 9.3 such as Java, Tomcat and MySQL
    > have to be reinstalled also?
    >
    > I am thinking of the upgrade but don't want to have to spend hours doing
    > it.

    9.3 to 10.2 is too big a jump. Many details have changed in between, you
    should face a clean install.
    Keep your /home partition and save the contents of /etc there as well, but
    even create a new user (or use a different userID) to start. You can then
    import your mails and other interesting stuff, and part of your settings.
    Let setup use your existing partitions (but not format /home) and see what
    you get.

  5. Re: 9.3 to 10.2 Linux Newbie

    KevinRobinson schreef:
    > How do you remove all the old linux partitions?
    >
    > Regards

    Just go through the installation cd/dvd as it will install 10.2 and
    removing your old partition

  6. Re: 9.3 to 10.2 Linux Newbie

    "Snap Whipcrack.............." wrote:

    >KevinRobinson wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Is it straight forward upgrading from SuSe 9.3 to 10.2 or does the 9.3 have
    >> to be uninstalled first?
    >>
    >> Also do existing applications on the 9.3 such as Java, Tomcat and MySQL have
    >> to be reinstalled also?
    >>
    >> I am thinking of the upgrade but don't want to have to spend hours doing it.
    >>

    >> Thanks in anticipation.
    >>
    >> Kevin
    >>

    >I downloaded the 10.2 dvd and did a clean install, removing all the old
    >linux partitions. Works fine.

    "Removing all the old linux partitions" ... meaning "I erased
    every program I'd ever installed, every setting I'd ever tweaked
    the way I wanted it".

    That's just NO GOOD.

    I've got legacy programs on my XP machine that go all the way
    back to the dark ages of DOS 2.11, ones that I still USE from
    time to time, some with man-weeks of custom tweaking incorporated.
    The hardware has been upgraded over time and every new version of
    DOS and Windows added as an UPGRADE, not a replacement. Everything
    works pretty damned well.

    If a major distribution of Linux can't survive a single version
    upgrade ... well .....

    Actually, I've upgraded a SUSE box from 9.0 through 10.1 in
    incremental steps and haven't suffered much. Others seem to
    have worse experiences however.

    But I'm not 'upgrading' to Vista. This is where I call it quits
    and jump ship to Apple or a version of Linux that CAN be upgraded
    without a fuss.

    Well now ... somewhere I've got the 'alternative' floppy that
    came with my original IBM-PC ... the one containing CP/M-86.
    I tried it a few years ago and it still booted :-)

  7. Re: 9.3 to 10.2 Linux Newbie

    Walter Mautner wrote:

    >KevinRobinson wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Is it straight forward upgrading from SuSe 9.3 to 10.2 or does the 9.3
    >> have to be uninstalled first?
    >>
    >> Also do existing applications on the 9.3 such as Java, Tomcat and MySQL
    >> have to be reinstalled also?
    >>
    >> I am thinking of the upgrade but don't want to have to spend hours doing
    >> it.
    >>

    >9.3 to 10.2 is too big a jump. Many details have changed in between, you
    >should face a clean install.

    Nope.

    Any OS that requires such a drastic step is JUNK.
    I could upgrade Win-3.1 machines directly to Win2k.
    All programs and settings were preserved. A few
    drivers had to be replaced, no biggie. 2K upgrades
    to XP with no problems. Downgrades to Vista promise
    to be hell however ... ergo Vista is JUNK.

    >Keep your /home partition and save the contents of /etc there as well, but
    >even create a new user (or use a different userID) to start. You can then
    >import your mails and other interesting stuff, and part of your settings.
    >Let setup use your existing partitions (but not format /home) and see what
    >you get.

    Actually I upgraded from 9.1 to 10.1 in small steps via the
    online service. Even thus, certain incompatible libraries
    and such emerged. Very bad form.

    If you want Linux to be more popular, the 'geek factor' MUST
    be eliminated. That means clean, simple, no-BS upgrades, even
    across fairly large version gaps, that Granny Jones can start
    and forget while she's fixing thanksgiving dinner. It means
    support for legacy programs that depend on legacy libraries
    and system calls - and that means putting enough IQ into the
    programs, libraries and upgrade software so they KNOW what
    goes with what.

    The longer linux remains weak, for gurus and geeks only, the
    sooner the evil empire will find ways to eliminate it. Note
    their recent deals with Novell, their buy-out of OpenGL ...
    bit by bit by bit they're out to destroy all competition
    by any sneaky means possible - and, so far, they're winning.
    Only a strong linux, one with a vast base of individual,
    government and corporate support, can hope to thwart the
    evil ones.

    The time for excuses is past, linux developers
    MUST stop wasting time on writing the 99th incompatible
    unupgradable distro and instead focus on writing *A*
    linux for the real world and real people - a "Windows
    Killer" that everyone can embrace. The code is out there,
    (OK, here and there) it just needs to be pulled together
    and polished into THE linux disto. Make sure it's modular,
    fractal, so a subset can run on PDAs, a fatter cut on
    laptops and desktops and yet another slice on servers -
    but every slice being a part of a SINGLE standard
    binary-compatible whole.

    AFTER the windows-killer is out there and popularized,
    THEN the geeks can get back to writing weird custom
    distros for niche apps (or just to stroke their own
    egos). But the windows-killer must come FIRST lest
    MS find ways to buy-out or otherwise crush every
    source of good linux-compatible code or get the
    Fed to mandate DRM laws that, for some reason, MS
    holds the only patents for implementing.

  8. Re: 9.3 to 10.2 Linux Newbie

    KevinRobinson wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Is it straight forward upgrading from SuSe 9.3 to 10.2 or does the 9.3 have
    > to be uninstalled first?
    >
    > Also do existing applications on the 9.3 such as Java, Tomcat and MySQL have
    > to be reinstalled also?
    >
    > I am thinking of the upgrade but don't want to have to spend hours doing it.
    >

    > Thanks in anticipation.
    >
    > Kevin

    I use SLACKWARE and I have upgraded from 7.1 to 9.0 and 9.0 to 10.2
    without incident. I am building a compiler and have all my "legacy"
    sources to worry about. no problems.
    josephus

    --
    I go sailing in the summer and look at stars in the winter.
    Everybody's ignorant-- just on different subjects.

+ Reply to Thread