Proxy with Authentication - Linux

This is a discussion on Proxy with Authentication - Linux ; Hi there, I need to set up a basic proxy server which requires users to put username/password. If I am using Apache, how could I set up the authentication? Do I have to use Squid? Thanks, Ross...

  1. Proxy with Authentication

    Hi there,
    I need to set up a basic proxy server which requires users to put
    username/password.
    If I am using Apache, how could I set up the authentication? Do I have to
    use Squid?
    Thanks,
    Ross

  2. Re: Proxy with Authentication

    Apache or Squid -- which one is easier to configure username/password for
    Proxy, and how?
    Thanks,
    Ross

    "Ross" wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    > I need to set up a basic proxy server which requires users to put
    > username/password.
    > If I am using Apache, how could I set up the authentication? Do I have to
    > use Squid?
    > Thanks,
    > Ross

  3. Re: Proxy with Authentication

    Ross wrote:
    > Apache or Squid -- which one is easier to configure username/password for
    > Proxy, and how?

    Never used Squid, but Apache has a gos documentation at:
    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/howto/auth.html (for release 1.3) or
    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/howto/auth.html (for release 2.0)

    Ciao
    Giovanni