Question about Topologilinux dual processor support - Linux

This is a discussion on Question about Topologilinux dual processor support - Linux ; Does Topologilinux (which uses Colinux to work its magic) actually have access to both processors in a dual CPU machine(core duo)? I want to run a linux app that utilises double thread processing under Windows. I've read the Linux apps ...

  1. Question about Topologilinux dual processor support

    Does Topologilinux (which uses Colinux to work its magic) actually have
    access to both processors in a dual CPU machine(core duo)? I want to run a
    linux app that utilises double thread processing under Windows. I've read
    the Linux apps run natively on a Windows machine, but am still not sure
    whether the app I intend to use will use both processors. Being a bit of a
    newbie, would there be a 'system info ' utility or cmd line statement to
    show Topologilinux recognising each CPU? I'm not worried about 64bit
    processing right now.

    Thanks

  2. Re: Question about Topologilinux dual processor support

    On Fri, 29 Dec 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux, in article
    , hg wrote:

    >Does Topologilinux (which uses Colinux to work its magic) actually have
    >access to both processors in a dual CPU machine(core duo)?

    I'd never heard of Topologilinux, but google suggests it's based on
    Slackware and runs ON TOP OF windoze. As such, I highly doubt that it
    can even see the CPU, much less that there are two of them.

    >I want to run a linux app that utilises double thread processing under
    >Windows.

    I suspect you'll have to install a real Linux then. 'Topologilinux' seems
    to be running as a windoze application, rather than actually being the real
    operating system.

    >I've read the Linux apps run natively on a Windows machine, but am still
    >not sure whether the app I intend to use will use both processors.

    Not sure what running natively is supposed to mean - is that like running
    a Macintosh binary directly on a windoze box (or vice versa)? You can
    run guest operating systems - a common example is VMWare, but there's a
    lot of emulation going on under the covers, and you really can't expect it
    to act exactly like the real thing.

    >Being a bit of a newbie, would there be a 'system info ' utility or cmd
    >line statement to show Topologilinux recognising each CPU?

    You should see this in the boot messages logged to /var/log/messages. If
    the system is running a /proc/ filesystem, looking in /proc/cpuinfo would
    tell. The key letters you are looking for are "SMP" which stands for
    Symmetric MultiProcessor. Googling for 'Topologilinux SMP' doesn't turn
    up anything interesting.

    >I'm not worried about 64bit processing right now.

    Linux has been running on 64 bit processors for years. However this takes
    a different CD from the i386 (or x86) versions.

    You'd probably get a lot more answers if you posted to one of the regular
    Linux newsgroups. As this is more on-topic for the comp.os.linux.setup
    newsgroup, you might want to try there, rather than the hardware or misc
    groups.

    comp.os.linux.hardware Hardware compatibility with the Linux operating system.
    comp.os.linux.misc Linux-specific topics not covered by other groups.
    comp.os.linux.setup Linux installation and system administration.

    Old guy

  3. Re: Question about Topologilinux dual processor support

    I've looked into my own question some more and found out that Topologilinux
    probably won't use both processors as it uses Colinux to run and Colinux
    doesn't work properly with HyperThreading or Dual Processors.
    Colinux/Topologilinux are not pure software emulators like VMware, from what
    I've read they are more like a Linux Wine app for Windows. I tested out Topo
    on Windows ages ago for a few weeks and it worked great, it was slower than
    a full Linux setup but not by much.

+ Reply to Thread