Recording streaming audio and deviding it to 15min files - Linux

This is a discussion on Recording streaming audio and deviding it to 15min files - Linux ; Hi I'm using mplayer to record my streaming audio using command like this: mplayer -ao pcm:file=mystream.wav -vc dummy -vo null -cache 100 http://URL What I would like to do: 1. record directly to mp3 2. record automatically dividing stream to ...

  1. Recording streaming audio and deviding it to 15min files

    Hi

    I'm using mplayer to record my streaming audio using command like this:

    mplayer -ao pcm:file=mystream.wav -vc dummy -vo null -cache 100 http://URL

    What I would like to do:

    1. record directly to mp3
    2. record automatically dividing stream to lets say 15 minutes files (mp3 or wav).

    Is it possible to do it with mplayer or any other program?

    Thank you
    --

    Ralph

  2. Re: Recording streaming audio and deviding it to 15min files

    Ralph wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I'm using mplayer to record my streaming audio using command like this:
    >
    > mplayer -ao pcm:file=mystream.wav -vc dummy -vo null -cache 100 http://URL
    >
    > What I would like to do:
    >
    > 1. record directly to mp3
    > 2. record automatically dividing stream to lets say 15 minutes files
    > (mp3 or wav).
    >
    > Is it possible to do it with mplayer or any other program?
    >
    > Thank you

    Krecord will record and save streaming audio as a wav file. Once saved
    you can convert the wav to mp3. I've recorded many things using
    Krecord, even an entire streaming album.
    If you do not have KDE installed, I am sure Gnome has a similar program.

    John

  3. Re: Recording streaming audio and deviding it to 15min files

    John Scudder wrote:
    > Ralph wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I'm using mplayer to record my streaming audio using command like this:
    >>
    >> mplayer -ao pcm:file=mystream.wav -vc dummy -vo null -cache 100
    >> http://URL
    >>
    >> What I would like to do:
    >>
    >> 1. record directly to mp3
    >> 2. record automatically dividing stream to lets say 15 minutes files
    >> (mp3 or wav).
    >>
    >> Is it possible to do it with mplayer or any other program?
    >>
    >> Thank you

    > Krecord will record and save streaming audio as a wav file. Once saved
    > you can convert the wav to mp3. I've recorded many things using
    > Krecord, even an entire streaming album.
    > If you do not have KDE installed, I am sure Gnome has a similar program.
    >
    > John

    Good to know. But i need something that i can run from command line. Don't forget I need the way to
    record streaming 24/7 and in the same time record it in the way that it's in files no longer then 15
    minutes.

    Thank you

    --

    Ralph

  4. Re: Recording streaming audio and deviding it to 15min files

    Ralph wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I'm using mplayer to record my streaming audio using command like this:
    >
    > mplayer -ao pcm:file=mystream.wav -vc dummy -vo null -cache 100 http://URL
    >
    > What I would like to do:
    >
    > 1. record directly to mp3
    > 2. record automatically dividing stream to lets say 15 minutes files (mp3
    > or wav).
    >
    > Is it possible to do it with mplayer or any other program?
    >
    > Thank you

    Hmmm... In a bash loop... fire off mplayer as a background thread, then
    execute sleep for 15 minutes... when sleep times out execute killall
    mplayer and iterate for the next pass through the loop...

    You'll end up with a bunch of 15minute long wavs...

    Works for me. :')

    --

    Jerry McBride

  5. Re: Recording streaming audio and deviding it to 15min files

    Jerry McBride wrote:
    > Ralph wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I'm using mplayer to record my streaming audio using command like this:
    >>
    >> mplayer -ao pcm:file=mystream.wav -vc dummy -vo null -cache 100 http://URL
    >>
    >> What I would like to do:
    >>
    >> 1. record directly to mp3
    >> 2. record automatically dividing stream to lets say 15 minutes files (mp3
    >> or wav).
    >>
    >> Is it possible to do it with mplayer or any other program?
    >>
    >> Thank you

    > Hmmm... In a bash loop... fire off mplayer as a background thread, then
    > execute sleep for 15 minutes... when sleep times out execute killall
    > mplayer and iterate for the next pass through the loop...
    >
    > You'll end up with a bunch of 15minute long wavs...
    >
    > Works for me. :')

    Using your method I also end up with few seconds or more gaps between files.
    I thought about that.

    --

    Ralph

+ Reply to Thread