Laptops that work - and I mean completely work - with Linux? - Linux

This is a discussion on Laptops that work - and I mean completely work - with Linux? - Linux ; So there is a bunch of varied information on Linux running on laptops, but, unfortunately, like all the other information about Linux, it is spread all over the place, and inconsistent in format and often missing critical bits. So here ...

  1. Laptops that work - and I mean completely work - with Linux?

    So there is a bunch of varied information on Linux running on laptops,
    but, unfortunately, like all the other information about Linux, it is
    spread all over the place, and inconsistent in format and often missing
    critical bits. So here is my question:

    Does anyone know of a good, canonical, if you will, list of laptops that
    work with Linux?

    A flexible, searchable, database kindofa list is what I would like.
    Although I have a feeling it does not exist. For example, I don't want to
    pore over a list like the one here:

    http://www.linux-laptop.net/

    Just to generate a list of laptops that I might consider buying. It is
    just too painful:

    1) Go to linux-laptop.net
    2) click on, maybe, "Dell"
    3) Look for a laptop that might have the features I want -- Oh, what's
    that? Don't have the *model numbers* and *specs* of every frickin' Dell
    laptop memorized? Well, then,
    4) go to Dell website, look up specs.
    6) What? That one isn't listed?
    7) Repeat...

    You get the idea.

    I want to find a Linux-on-Laptops site that has a database of working
    laptops, what distros they worked with, what features each laptop has,
    what of those features worked, and have a way for it too be filterable or
    searchable by feature, manufacturer, distro, *year* the laptop came out
    (there are a *lot* of old, old, old, old, old, ancient laptops still
    listed on, say, linux-laptop.net or equivalent), etc.

    Does anyone know of something like this???

    FWIW, here are the Linux Laptop resources I have used up till now:

    http://www.linux-on-laptops.com
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportMachinesLaptops
    http://tuxmobil.org/mylaptops.html

    Now, that last entry is getting close to what I want....

    Anyone have any other suggestions? Allrighty, later...

    --
    JDS

  2. Re: Laptops that work - and I mean completely work - with Linux?

    * JDS wrote in comp.os.linux:

    > So there is a bunch of varied information on Linux running on laptops,
    > but, unfortunately, like all the other information about Linux, it is
    > spread all over the place, and inconsistent in format and often missing
    > critical bits. So here is my question:

    I have installed 3 different distros on at least 5 different DELL laptops
    and with the exception of some ACPI issues, I cant complain. Currently
    running Ubuntu on a Dell Inspirion 5150.

    --
    David

  3. Re: Laptops that work - and I mean completely work - with Linux?

    On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 21:14:26 +0000, SINNER wrote:

    > I have installed 3 different distros on at least 5 different DELL laptops
    > and with the exception of some ACPI issues, I cant complain. Currently
    > running Ubuntu on a Dell Inspirion 5150.

    Well, IMO, the "exception of some ACPI issues" is a pretty big exception!!
    At least on a laptop. Especially with today's lower power consumption and
    higher powered batteries, being able to properly put my laptop to sleep is
    pretty important to me. I can leave the thing on all the time, for one
    thing, and treat it more like I treat my cell phone.

    What are the ACPI issues on your 5150?

    later...

    --
    JDS

  4. Re: Laptops that work - and I mean completely work - with Linux?

    In JDS:

    [Snip...]

    > Does anyone know of a good, canonical, if you will, list of laptops that
    > work with Linux?

    IME, too much of a moving target--but maybe it's just me.

    Other than the lists you've already mentioned, I haven't a clue. OTOH...

    I used to recommend ASL (http://www.aslab.com/) but it seems now they don't
    carry laptops anymore (AFAICT). I still recommend ASL highly for their very
    prompt/effective customer support (disclaimer: I have no commercial ties to
    ASL except as a very satisfied customer).

    FWIW, there's R^3 Technologies

    http://shoprcubed.com

    reviewed in the current (January '07) Linux Journal (Pg. 48). Not a list as
    much as a Linux laptop store, I know--but it may help focus a search.

    (Disclaimer: I don't have direct experience with R^3 as I do with ASL)

    HTH; YMMV...

  5. Re: Laptops that work - and I mean completely work - with Linux?

    * JDS wrote in alt.os.linux:

    > On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 21:14:26 +0000, SINNER wrote:
    >
    >> I have installed 3 different distros on at least 5 different DELL
    >> laptops and with the exception of some ACPI issues, I cant complain.
    >> Currently running Ubuntu on a Dell Inspirion 5150.

    > Well, IMO, the "exception of some ACPI issues" is a pretty big
    > exception!! At least on a laptop. Especially with today's lower power
    > consumption and higher powered batteries, being able to properly put
    > my laptop to sleep is pretty important to me. I can leave the thing on
    > all the time, for one thing, and treat it more like I treat my cell
    > phone.
    >
    > What are the ACPI issues on your 5150?

    I can hibernate and suspend but I cant use the acpi command set to
    retrieve the data about how much charge is left in the battery.

    I am sure it is correctable but it hasnt bothered me enough to bother
    looking for the solution.

    --
    David

  6. Re: Laptops that work - and I mean completely work - with Linux?

    On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 15:57:00 -0500, JDS wrote:

    > So there is a bunch of varied information on Linux running on laptops,
    > but, unfortunately, like all the other information about Linux, it is
    > spread all over the place, and inconsistent in format and often missing
    > critical bits. So here is my question:
    >
    > Does anyone know of a good, canonical, if you will, list of laptops that
    > work with Linux?
    >
    > A flexible, searchable, database kindofa list is what I would like.
    > Although I have a feeling it does not exist. For example, I don't want to
    > pore over a list like the one here:
    >
    > http://www.linux-laptop.net/
    >
    > Just to generate a list of laptops that I might consider buying. It is
    > just too painful:
    >
    > 1) Go to linux-laptop.net
    > 2) click on, maybe, "Dell"
    > 3) Look for a laptop that might have the features I want -- Oh, what's
    > that? Don't have the *model numbers* and *specs* of every frickin' Dell
    > laptop memorized? Well, then,
    > 4) go to Dell website, look up specs.
    > 6) What? That one isn't listed?
    > 7) Repeat...
    >
    > You get the idea.
    >
    > I want to find a Linux-on-Laptops site that has a database of working
    > laptops, what distros they worked with, what features each laptop has,
    > what of those features worked, and have a way for it too be filterable or
    > searchable by feature, manufacturer, distro, *year* the laptop came out
    > (there are a *lot* of old, old, old, old, old, ancient laptops still
    > listed on, say, linux-laptop.net or equivalent), etc.
    >
    > Does anyone know of something like this???
    >
    > FWIW, here are the Linux Laptop resources I have used up till now:
    >
    > http://www.linux-on-laptops.com
    > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportMachinesLaptops
    > http://tuxmobil.org/mylaptops.html
    >
    > Now, that last entry is getting close to what I want....
    >
    > Anyone have any other suggestions? Allrighty, later...

    Here's one: IBM.

  7. Re: Laptops that work - and I mean completely work - with Linux?

    On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 15:57:00 -0500, JDS wrote:

    > So there is a bunch of varied information on Linux running on laptops,
    > but, unfortunately, like all the other information about Linux, it is
    > spread all over the place, and inconsistent in format and often missing
    > critical bits. So here is my question:
    >
    > Does anyone know of a good, canonical, if you will, list of laptops that
    > work with Linux?

    www.emperorlinux.com
    www.linuxcertified.com

  8. Re: Laptops that work - and I mean completely work - with Linux?

    On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 15:57:00 -0500, JDS inscribed to the world:

    > Does anyone know of a good, canonical, if you will, list of laptops that
    > work with Linux?

    Compaq Presario 2000 series, I just bought one-- everything works awesome
    EXCEPT the built-in Broadcom chip wifi; I ended up buying a $35 Dynex
    brand (=Best Buy brand) pcmcia wifi card that worked out of the box with
    Ubuntu linux (uses madwifi driver since it has the atheros chipset, so
    other distros may require downloading of madwifi, but ubuntu worked great,
    including 128 bit wep encryption).

  9. Re: Laptops that work - and I mean completely work - with Linux?

    Beowulf wrote:

    > Compaq Presario 2000 series, I just bought one-- everything works awesome
    > EXCEPT the built-in Broadcom chip wifi;

    Doesn't ndiswrapper work with those?

    --
    Garry Knight
    garryknight@gmx.net

  10. Re: Laptops that work - and I mean completely work - with Linux?

    On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 21:43:41 +0000, SINNER wrote:

    > I can hibernate and suspend but I cant use the acpi command set to

    I see. Well, as long as suspend works, then, that's good.
    --
    JDS

  11. Re: Laptops that work - and I mean completely work - with Linux?

    On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 15:57:00 -0500, JDS wrote:

    > Does anyone know of a good, canonical, if you will, list of laptops that
    > work with Linux?

    Thanks for the info, all. And no trolls! I can't believe it!
    --
    JDS

  12. Re: Laptops that work - and I mean completely work - with Linux?

    On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 09:27:22 -0500, JDS wrote:

    > On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 15:57:00 -0500, JDS wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone know of a good, canonical, if you will, list of laptops that
    >> work with Linux?

    > Thanks for the info, all. And no trolls! I can't believe it!

    You know, for a rule of thumb, if you buy one with any Linux installed,
    you'll probably be in pretty good stead. Do you have a requirement to buy
    a laptop every so often? If so, I'd be interested in the reasoning - for
    me it's pretty much a once in a decade or so.

  13. Re: Laptops that work - and I mean completely work - with Linux?

    JDS wrote:
    > So there is a bunch of varied information on Linux running on laptops,
    > but, unfortunately, like all the other information about Linux, it is
    > spread all over the place, and inconsistent in format and often missing
    > critical bits. So here is my question:
    >
    > Does anyone know of a good, canonical, if you will, list of laptops that
    > work with Linux?
    >
    > A flexible, searchable, database kindofa list is what I would like.
    > Although I have a feeling it does not exist. For example, I don't want to
    > pore over a list like the one here:
    >
    > http://www.linux-laptop.net/
    >
    > Just to generate a list of laptops that I might consider buying. It is
    > just too painful:
    >
    > 1) Go to linux-laptop.net
    > 2) click on, maybe, "Dell"
    > 3) Look for a laptop that might have the features I want -- Oh, what's
    > that? Don't have the *model numbers* and *specs* of every frickin' Dell
    > laptop memorized? Well, then,
    > 4) go to Dell website, look up specs.
    > 6) What? That one isn't listed?
    > 7) Repeat...
    >
    > You get the idea.
    >
    > I want to find a Linux-on-Laptops site that has a database of working
    > laptops, what distros they worked with, what features each laptop has,
    > what of those features worked, and have a way for it too be filterable or
    > searchable by feature, manufacturer, distro, *year* the laptop came out
    > (there are a *lot* of old, old, old, old, old, ancient laptops still
    > listed on, say, linux-laptop.net or equivalent), etc.
    >
    > Does anyone know of something like this???
    >
    > FWIW, here are the Linux Laptop resources I have used up till now:
    >
    > http://www.linux-on-laptops.com
    > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportMachinesLaptops
    > http://tuxmobil.org/mylaptops.html
    >
    > Now, that last entry is getting close to what I want....
    >
    > Anyone have any other suggestions? Allrighty, later...

    I've always run DELL and SuSE and I've had no issues to date. I recently
    upgradeed to a nice new Dell core 2 duo with a rather nice widescreen
    and SuSE runs it without any problems on the 64bit version with full 3D
    support on the Intel graphics card supporting the native 1920x1200
    resolution.

    It was all so easy to install and configure I felt mildly disapointed
    because it was over so fast

  14. Re: Laptops that work - and I mean completely work - with Linux?

    ray wrote:
    > On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 15:57:00 -0500, JDS wrote:
    >
    >> So there is a bunch of varied information on Linux running on laptops,
    >> but, unfortunately, like all the other information about Linux, it is
    >> spread all over the place, and inconsistent in format and often missing
    >> critical bits. So here is my question:
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of a good, canonical, if you will, list of laptops that
    >> work with Linux?
    >>
    >> A flexible, searchable, database kindofa list is what I would like.
    >> Although I have a feeling it does not exist. For example, I don't want to
    >> pore over a list like the one here:
    >>
    >> http://www.linux-laptop.net/
    >>
    >> Just to generate a list of laptops that I might consider buying. It is
    >> just too painful:
    >>
    >> 1) Go to linux-laptop.net
    >> 2) click on, maybe, "Dell"
    >> 3) Look for a laptop that might have the features I want -- Oh, what's
    >> that? Don't have the *model numbers* and *specs* of every frickin' Dell
    >> laptop memorized? Well, then,
    >> 4) go to Dell website, look up specs.
    >> 6) What? That one isn't listed?
    >> 7) Repeat...
    >>
    >> You get the idea.
    >>
    >> I want to find a Linux-on-Laptops site that has a database of working
    >> laptops, what distros they worked with, what features each laptop has,
    >> what of those features worked, and have a way for it too be filterable or
    >> searchable by feature, manufacturer, distro, *year* the laptop came out
    >> (there are a *lot* of old, old, old, old, old, ancient laptops still
    >> listed on, say, linux-laptop.net or equivalent), etc.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of something like this???
    >>
    >> FWIW, here are the Linux Laptop resources I have used up till now:
    >>
    >> http://www.linux-on-laptops.com
    >> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportMachinesLaptops
    >> http://tuxmobil.org/mylaptops.html
    >>
    >> Now, that last entry is getting close to what I want....
    >>
    >> Anyone have any other suggestions? Allrighty, later...

    > Here's one: IBM.

    Amen to that! I've owned two ThinkPads and both work well with Ubuntu.
    IBM has started selling their T60P with Suse. My X60s with Intel Core
    Duo works well (although not perfectly) with Ubuntu Edgy. For my money
    the ThinkPad is the best because of design and durability, not just
    because they work well with linux.

  15. Re: Laptops that work - and I mean completely work - with Linux?

    On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 15:57:00 -0500, JDS wrote:

    > So there is a bunch of varied information on Linux running on laptops,
    > but, unfortunately, like all the other information about Linux, it is
    > spread all over the place, and inconsistent in format and often missing
    > critical bits. So here is my question:
    >
    > Does anyone know of a good, canonical, if you will, list of laptops that
    > work with Linux?
    >
    > A flexible, searchable, database kindofa list is what I would like.
    > Although I have a feeling it does not exist. For example, I don't want to
    > pore over a list like the one here:
    >
    > http://www.linux-laptop.net/
    >
    > Just to generate a list of laptops that I might consider buying. It is
    > just too painful:
    >
    > 1) Go to linux-laptop.net
    > 2) click on, maybe, "Dell"
    > 3) Look for a laptop that might have the features I want -- Oh, what's
    > that? Don't have the *model numbers* and *specs* of every frickin' Dell
    > laptop memorized? Well, then,
    > 4) go to Dell website, look up specs.
    > 6) What? That one isn't listed?
    > 7) Repeat...
    >
    > You get the idea.
    >
    > I want to find a Linux-on-Laptops site that has a database of working
    > laptops, what distros they worked with, what features each laptop has,
    > what of those features worked, and have a way for it too be filterable or
    > searchable by feature, manufacturer, distro, *year* the laptop came out
    > (there are a *lot* of old, old, old, old, old, ancient laptops still
    > listed on, say, linux-laptop.net or equivalent), etc.
    >
    > Does anyone know of something like this???
    >
    > FWIW, here are the Linux Laptop resources I have used up till now:
    >
    > http://www.linux-on-laptops.com
    > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportMachinesLaptops
    > http://tuxmobil.org/mylaptops.html
    >
    > Now, that last entry is getting close to what I want....
    >
    > Anyone have any other suggestions? Allrighty, later...

    I have an Acer Aspire 3002LCi, running FC6 flawlessly.

    Here are the specs:

    Acer Aspire 3002LCi
    Mobile AMD Sempron processor 2800+ (1.6 GHz)
    15.0 XGA TFT LCD Display
    SiSM760GX Video Card [Shared Video] BIOS select 32MB, 64MB or 128MB
    256MB PC2700 DDR 333MHz SoDIMM RAM (Max 2GB [1GB x 2])
    40 GB Ultra ATA, 2.5" Hard Drive
    10/100 Network Card
    56k V.92FAX/Modem
    24x (CD-RW) / 8x (DVD) Combo Drive
    Broadcom 802.11b/g Wireless Networking Card
    Lithium-Ion Battery (1.5 hour battery life)
    DirectSound Sound Card

    My write-up for "www.linux-laptop.net" can be read here:
    http://www.hoflink.com/~turajb/linux_acer3k2_fc6.htm

    I have also used it successfully with FC4 & FC5. However FC6 runs best
    thus far. How to setup everything & my opinions on this laptop are also in
    my write-up. If you are looking for an inexpensive laptop for running
    linux, then this is a good one to look for.

    Also any of the cheaper Acer Aspire 3000 series laptops should also work
    equally well with FC6, since most seam to use variations on this basic
    hardware/setup.

    Hope this helps...

  16. Re: Laptops that work - and I mean completely work - with Linux?

    After takin' a swig o' grog, SINNER belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > * JDS wrote in comp.os.linux:
    >
    >> So there is a bunch of varied information on Linux running on laptops,
    >> but, unfortunately, like all the other information about Linux, it is
    >> spread all over the place, and inconsistent in format and often missing
    >> critical bits. So here is my question:
    >>

    > I have installed 3 different distros on at least 5 different DELL laptops
    > and with the exception of some ACPI issues, I cant complain. Currently
    > running Ubuntu on a Dell Inspirion 5150.

    Have Debian on a DELL Latitude D510. Centrino, i915 video. Took some
    tweaking to get wireless and full video features, but works pretty well.
    Xinerama, too, 1920x1200 and the main screen at 1024x768.

    I run it off a docking station at work, and standalone at home, have to
    make the transition manually for networking (wired at work, wireless at
    home) and to go between dual and single monitor.

    No Windows on it, by the way, finally got rid of it completely, except
    for a VM.

    --
    Press "Any" key to continue.

  17. Re: Laptops that work - and I mean completely work - with Linux?

    Linonut wrote:

    > Have Debian on a DELL Latitude D510. Centrino, i915 video. Took some
    > tweaking to get wireless and full video features, but works pretty well.
    > Xinerama, too, 1920x1200 and the main screen at 1024x768.
    >
    > I run it off a docking station at work, and standalone at home, have to
    > make the transition manually for networking (wired at work, wireless at
    > home) and to go between dual and single monitor.
    >
    > No Windows on it, by the way, finally got rid of it completely, except
    > for a VM.

    I run Gentoo (and only Gentoo) from a IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad R51e. Everything
    works, even the ATI Xpress 200 card.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    "Ding-a-ding-dang,My Dang-a-long ling-long"

+ Reply to Thread