How to disable Graphical Login screen at startup - Linux

This is a discussion on How to disable Graphical Login screen at startup - Linux ; I installed Linux RH Enterprise v.4 and every time it boots it takes me to the Alt-F7 session which is the Graphical Interface, How can I disable it complete or How can I tell Linux that when it boots I ...

  1. How to disable Graphical Login screen at startup

    I installed Linux RH Enterprise v.4 and every time it boots it takes me to
    the Alt-F7 session which is the Graphical Interface, How can I disable it
    complete or How can I tell Linux that when it boots I want to see the Alt-F1
    console.

    Thanks

  2. Re: How to disable Graphical Login screen at startup

    On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 23:52:55 +0000, Enrique Arredondo wrote:

    > I installed Linux RH Enterprise v.4 and every time it boots it takes me to
    > the Alt-F7 session which is the Graphical Interface, How can I disable it
    > complete or How can I tell Linux that when it boots I want to see the Alt-F1
    > console.

    Using your favorite text editor (as the root user), look in file
    "/etc/inittab" for the lines:

    # id:3:initdefault:
    id:5:initdefault:

    id:3:initdefault:
    # id:5:initdefault:

    and, on your next reboot, you will be happy.

    Cheers

  3. Re: How to disable Graphical Login screen at startup

    Enrique Arredondo wrote:

    > I installed Linux RH Enterprise v.4 and every time it boots it takes me to
    > the Alt-F7 session which is the Graphical Interface, How can I disable it
    > complete or How can I tell Linux that when it boots I want to see the
    > Alt-F1 console.
    >
    > Thanks

    I think it depends heavily on Frame buffer capabilities.

    using Grub

    My kernel option in "menu.lst" for vga is "vga=0x303"
    This gives me a console with kernel messages during boot

    --
    regards faeychild
    (Registered GNU/Linux user #374302)

  4. Re: How to disable Graphical Login screen at startup

    Enrique Arredondo wrote:
    > I installed Linux RH Enterprise v.4 and every time it boots it takes me to
    > the Alt-F7 session which is the Graphical Interface, How can I disable it
    > complete or How can I tell Linux that when it boots I want to see the Alt-F1
    > console.
    >
    > Thanks

    man inittab
    In /etc/inittab change the "initdefault" entry from 5 to 3. You will
    get no graphical interface, just a console.

    Mihai

  5. Re: How to disable Graphical Login screen at startup

    "Tommy Reynolds" wrote in message
    > On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 23:52:55 +0000, Enrique Arredondo wrote:
    >
    >> I installed Linux RH Enterprise v.4 and every time it boots it takes me
    >> the Alt-F7 session which is the Graphical Interface, How can I disable it
    >> complete or How can I tell Linux that when it boots I want to see the
    >> Alt-F1
    >> console.

    > Using your favorite text editor (as the root user), look in file
    > "/etc/inittab" for the lines:
    >
    > # id:3:initdefault:
    > id:5:initdefault:

    > id:3:initdefault:
    > # id:5:initdefault:
    >
    > and, on your next reboot, you will be happy.
    >
    > Cheers

    Yay!

    Thanks

  6. Re: How to disable Graphical Login screen at startup

    Enrique Arredondo wrote:
    > I installed Linux RH Enterprise v.4 and every time it boots it takes me to
    > the Alt-F7 session which is the Graphical Interface, How can I disable it
    > complete or How can I tell Linux that when it boots I want to see the Alt-F1
    > console.
    >
    > Thanks

    Edit /etc/grub.conf (a symlink to /boot/grub/)
    and remove the "rhgb" option ("Red Hat Graphical Boot").
    Now you can see all the boot messages scroll by.

    An error over at RH lost the boot log two versions ago,
    so this is an important item to remove. As others mentioned,
    if you don't want X to start at all change the default
    run-level from 5 to 3 in /etc/inittab.

    Personally I prefer to edit grub.conf, copy the standard boot stanza
    to another with the label "no-GUI", and add "3" to the kernel options line.
    Now you can easily choose between GUI and non-GUI bootup.

    -Wayne Pollock

+ Reply to Thread