tightVNC, ultraVNC, realVNC... desktop vs single app?? - Linux

This is a discussion on tightVNC, ultraVNC, realVNC... desktop vs single app?? - Linux ; hey guys, if youve been following my woes, you will know what im trying to do, mainly to get to access a single window or app over a net.. ie, im running gaim on my computer, i goto another computer, ...

  1. tightVNC, ultraVNC, realVNC... desktop vs single app??

    hey guys, if youve been following my woes, you will know what im trying
    to do, mainly to get to access a single window or app over a net.. ie,
    im running gaim on my computer, i goto another computer, ssh to it, and
    i want to be able to access that running instance of gaim, not a new
    one.. so, initially i found and (after trouble) ran xmove.. but that has
    so far been of little success and i ran across vnc while on that.. and
    it sounded about right for my purpose.. however, i cant seem to find how
    to just do a single window or app.. as opposed to a whole desktop..
    somewhere i read that ultra and tight can do it, but the sites
    themselves dont mention this.. and i know that (unless something has
    changed recently) real doesnt.. and thats what i have installed here..

    so, can anyone help me with this?

  2. Re: tightVNC, ultraVNC, realVNC... desktop vs single app??

    insaner wrote:
    > hey guys, if youve been following my woes, you will know what im trying
    > to do, mainly to get to access a single window or app over a net.. ie,
    > im running gaim on my computer, i goto another computer, ssh to it, and
    > i want to be able to access that running instance of gaim, not a new
    > one.. so, initially i found and (after trouble) ran xmove.. but that has
    > so far been of little success and i ran across vnc while on that.. and
    > it sounded about right for my purpose.. however, i cant seem to find how
    > to just do a single window or app.. as opposed to a whole desktop..
    > somewhere i read that ultra and tight can do it, but the sites
    > themselves dont mention this.. and i know that (unless something has
    > changed recently) real doesnt.. and thats what i have installed here..
    >
    > so, can anyone help me with this?

    Vnc is a desktop sharing protocol, it don't share one application but a whole
    desktop, you can of course run gaim in fullscreen size.

    //Aho

+ Reply to Thread