LBA problems - Linux

This is a discussion on LBA problems - Linux ; When I boot an old linux system onto a partition on the HD with xp for some reason lilo will not copy to the MBR. It says something about space the install crashes and something about LBA. I have checked ...

  1. LBA problems

    When I boot an old linux system onto a partition on the HD with xp for
    some reason lilo will not copy to the MBR. It says something about space the
    install crashes and something about LBA. I have checked my BIOS on my laptop
    up and down and it says nothing about LBA. Do BIOSs sometimes call LBA
    something else? Maybe it's not set in my BIOS.

    Bill

  2. Re: LBA problems

    On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 17:29:47 GMT, Bill Cunningham wrote:
    > When I boot an old linux system onto a partition on the HD with xp for
    > some reason lilo will not copy to the MBR. It says something about space the
    > install crashes and something about LBA. I have checked my BIOS on my laptop
    > up and down and it says nothing about LBA. Do BIOSs sometimes call LBA
    > something else? Maybe it's not set in my BIOS.

    The setting is normally found as part of the disk drive settings in
    the bios. I do remember you should set the value before
    formatting/installing back in the good ole days. No idea if xp cares
    about the value. Win 95 did.

  3. Re: LBA problems

    > The setting is normally found as part of the disk drive settings in
    > the bios. I do remember you should set the value before
    > formatting/installing back in the good ole days. No idea if xp cares
    > about the value. Win 95 did.

    My old computer had the settings I know. Does linux care about logical
    block addressing? The install always seems to crash as soon as the
    bootloader is installed which is lilo and I find that it isn't even being
    installed. Might have to boot from xp's loader if I can't get lilo into the
    MBR.

    Bill

  4. Re: LBA problems

    On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 18:32:09 GMT, Bill Cunningham wrote:
    >> The setting is normally found as part of the disk drive settings in
    >> the bios. I do remember you should set the value before
    >> formatting/installing back in the good ole days. No idea if xp cares
    >> about the value. Win 95 did.

    > My old computer had the settings I know. Does linux care about logical
    > block addressing?

    Looking through
    man lilo
    man lilo.conf
    would suggest it will play a part in making it work.

  5. Re: LBA problems

    Bill Cunningham wrote:

    > When I boot an old linux system onto a partition on the HD with xp for
    > some reason lilo will not copy to the MBR. It says something about space
    > the install crashes and something about LBA. I have checked my BIOS on my
    > laptop up and down and it says nothing about LBA. Do BIOSs sometimes call
    > LBA something else? Maybe it's not set in my BIOS.

    First question: why not take a more recent linux version? You get them every
    other day, with computer magazines.
    Now, there should be some menu point in your bios where you see some
    harddrive settings. The mode should list as "auto" or (toggle
    around) "lba", not "chs". But then, again, you may suffer from the fact
    that old lilo implementations need to find their OS before the 1024th
    sector of a harddrive, which won't be available when you install it behind
    another OS.
    Get a more recent linux version, that one might as well comply with more
    bits of your laptop hardware.

  6. Re: LBA problems

    But then, again, you may suffer from the fact
    > that old lilo implementations need to find their OS before the 1024th
    > sector of a harddrive, which won't be available when you install it behind
    > another OS.

    Exactly. Just what lilo said. Beyond the 1024 sector or something like
    that. Is it like DOS where linux has to be the first part on the drive?
    I've thought about going to fedora. But then I like unix. I even looked
    at plan 9. I don't know what I'm going to do. I have RH 7 and 9 btw. I could
    get a newer lilo.

    Bill
    ]

  7. Re: LBA problems

    Bill Cunningham wrote:

    > But then, again, you may suffer from the fact
    >> that old lilo implementations need to find their OS before the 1024th
    >> sector of a harddrive, which won't be available when you install it
    >> behind another OS.

    > Exactly. Just what lilo said. Beyond the 1024 sector or something like
    > that. Is it like DOS where linux has to be the first part on the drive?
    > I've thought about going to fedora. But then I like unix. I even
    > looked
    > at plan 9. I don't know what I'm going to do. I have RH 7 and 9 btw. I
    > could get a newer lilo.

    Since you can't get security updates for commercial redhat versions unless
    you have a redhat network account, you will be better and more secure with
    a current fedora version. Well, when your computer is low specs (beloww
    maybe 800 MHz and/or 256MB Ram), you should not use kde or gnome then.