lilo and xp - Linux

This is a discussion on lilo and xp - Linux ; For some reason lilo will not install to my MBR. Grub will but not lilo. Is there some reason for this? I'm using an old RH 9.0 and xp media edition. I would like to run both OSs but if ...

  1. lilo and xp

    For some reason lilo will not install to my MBR. Grub will but not lilo.
    Is there some reason for this? I'm using an old RH 9.0 and xp media edition.
    I would like to run both OSs but if I have to choose one it's not going to
    be xp. If I have to install grub is there a way to uninstall it from the MBR
    if needed later? I messed it up somehow and got a grub > prompt and I really
    don't know anything about grub. I've never used it.

    Bill

  2. Re: lilo and xp

    On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 22:45:02 GMT, Bill Cunningham wrote:
    > For some reason lilo will not install to my MBR. Grub will but not lilo.
    > Is there some reason for this?

    None that I know of. try
    lilo -v
    maybe lilo will tell you why it will not install.
    Usual problem is incorrect values.

  3. Re: lilo and xp

    "Bit Twister" wrote in message
    > On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 22:45:02 GMT, Bill Cunningham wrote:
    >> For some reason lilo will not install to my MBR. Grub will but not
    >> lilo.
    >> Is there some reason for this?

    > None that I know of. try
    > lilo -v
    > maybe lilo will tell you why it will not install.
    > Usual problem is incorrect values.

    Ok lilo says that lba32 is needed and not to use linear mode. I have an
    aged version lilo. When I load in text mode the linux I have it gives you a
    chance to enter values but I don't know what to enter.

    Bill

  4. Re: lilo and xp

    On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 21:24:29 GMT, Bill Cunningham wrote:

    > Ok lilo says that lba32 is needed and not to use linear mode. I have an
    > aged version lilo.

    Then I would guess a
    man lilo.conf
    would give you a suggestion of what keyword to add to /etc/lilo.conf
    to solve that problem.

  5. Re: lilo and xp

    > Then I would guess a
    > man lilo.conf
    > would give you a suggestion of what keyword to add to /etc/lilo.conf
    > to solve that problem.

    I don't have man pages for lilo. I tried man lilo and man lilo.conf and the
    systems said there where no man pages. Keep in mind here this is RH 7 and 9.
    I know probably my real problem.

    Bill

  6. Re: lilo and xp

    On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 23:29:53 GMT, Bill Cunningham wrote:

    >> Then I would guess a
    >> man lilo.conf
    >> would give you a suggestion of what keyword to add to /etc/lilo.conf
    >> to solve that problem.

    > I don't have man pages for lilo. I tried man lilo and man lilo.conf and the
    > systems said there where no man pages.

    Hmmm, guessing you could install them. I know Mandriva Linux has them.
    Maybe one of these will have lilo.conf

    http://manpage.willempen.org/
    http://man.he.net/
    http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/man/
    http://linux.ctyme.com/
    http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi
    http://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi
    http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi

  7. Re: lilo and xp

    On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 22:45:02 +0000, Bill Cunningham wrote:

    Hi Bill,

    I've been using lilo for years and am also familiar with red hat. my
    first system ran 5.x, and i continued using it for a while. If you have a
    library handy, look for some linux books. 'linux in a nutshell' is a
    great book to have. most librarys also have books on red hat especially,
    or they talk about red hat in it. that's a good place to look for info.
    man pages be damned.

    > For some reason lilo will not install to my MBR. Grub will but not lilo.
    > Is there some reason for this? I'm using an old RH 9.0 and xp media edition.
    > I would like to run both OSs but if I have to choose one it's not going to
    > be xp. If I have to install grub is there a way to uninstall it from the MBR
    > if needed later? I messed it up somehow and got a grub > prompt and I really
    > don't know anything about grub. I've never used it.
    >
    > Bill

    let's start with a short explaination of the differences between grub and
    lilo and where to find the configuration files for each, as well as a
    start to getting things booting correctly with xp, rh, and using lilo
    since that's what you want to do. this might be a little long but that's
    necessary. but it seems as if grub is already on the mbr, which is why
    lilo won't install, you can have only one bootloader.

    single biggest diff between the two is that with lilo after you make a
    change to the config, you have to run 'lilo -v' afterwards to make your
    changes take effect before the next boot of the system. grub, on the
    other hand, after you make changes to it's config, simply applies it
    automatically on the next system boot without you having to do anything
    special.

    with lilo, you run 'lilo -U' and yes the case is important, to uninstall
    lilo from the mbr. i know that grub has a way to uninstall itself also
    but since i rarely use it i can't think of how to do that exactly.

    for lilo: you will need to edit the '/etc/lilo.conf' file. that's where
    you put things like the amount of time to wait at the boot prompt, the
    default OS is the first one in the lilo.conf file.

    for grub: you will need to edit the '/boot/grub/menu.lst ' config file.
    another difference is that with lilo, drive numbers start with 1, with
    grub, they are 'zero based' so you will have the drive/part 0,0 meaing the
    first bootable partition on the first drive. that would be listed in lilo
    as /dev/hda1

    the simplest way out of this situation really is to simply 'wipe out' all
    traces of any bootloader and start again and install lilo. i have a w98
    'rescue disk' that i use for that very purpose. i boot up into 'pure dos'
    and then do an fdisk /mbr using the dos fdisk program. that restores
    the mbr back to the default of no bootloader but xp...

    once you have xp booting and grub gone from the mbr simply use your red
    hat 'resuce' disk and boot that. mount your linux partition r/w, go to
    the /etc/lilo.conf file and edit that.

    set it to install into the mbr (/dev/hda) then use chroot like this:

    chroot /yourlinuxpart/sbin/ lilo -v

    that's it, you're done. boot up and your lilo should be working and your
    back dual booting again... it's been awhiel since i used the chroot
    command so i might have the syntax not exactly right... you might need to
    put /sbin/lilo -v

    the idea with chroot is that you set your execution path, temporarily, on
    a partition normally you would not have access to at all unless you are
    booted. i know this looks like a lot of stuff but really it's not.

    1. get rid of grub by 'wiping out' the mbr. grub is one of those programs
    that takes an incredibely simple concept, and manages to complicate it
    beyond all belief. worst of all in my opinion is that damned "grub> "
    prompt and folks like you and me with no idea what the hell to do.

    2. boot back into xp and make sure it's working.

    3. boot your rh rescue disk, make your lilo edits, run and install lilo
    to the mbr...

    4. back dualbooting with grub gone and lilo in the mbr..

    hope this helps bro...

    Bill

  8. Re: lilo and xp

> [...]
    > command so i might have the syntax not exactly right... you might need to
    > put /sbin/lilo -v
    >
    > the idea with chroot is that you set your execution path, temporarily, on
    > a partition normally you would not have access to at all unless you are
    > booted. i know this looks like a lot of stuff but really it's not.
    >
    > 1. get rid of grub by 'wiping out' the mbr. grub is one of those programs
    > that takes an incredibely simple concept, and manages to complicate it
    > beyond all belief. worst of all in my opinion is that damned "grub> "
    > prompt and folks like you and me with no idea what the hell to do.
    >
    > 2. boot back into xp and make sure it's working.
    >
    > 3. boot your rh rescue disk, make your lilo edits, run and install lilo
    > to the mbr...
    >
    > 4. back dualbooting with grub gone and lilo in the mbr..

    Yes it does. I think grub also chainloads OSs like xp. And I have no
    idea how to remove it either. I don't even know how to get to the grub >
    prompt if I wanted too. Maybe I better stick with lilo

    Bill

  9. Re: lilo and xp

    On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 22:47:17 +0000, Bill Cunningham wrote:

    Hi Bill,

    >> that's it, you're done. boot up and your lilo should be working and your
    >> back dual booting again... it's been awhiel since i used the chroot
    >> command so i might have the syntax not exactly right... you might need to
    >> put /sbin/lilo -v
    >>
    >> the idea with chroot is that you set your execution path, temporarily, on
    >> a partition normally you would not have access to at all unless you are
    >> booted. i know this looks like a lot of stuff but really it's not.
    >>
    >> 1. get rid of grub by 'wiping out' the mbr. grub is one of those programs
    >> that takes an incredibely simple concept, and manages to complicate it
    >> beyond all belief. worst of all in my opinion is that damned "grub> "
    >> prompt and folks like you and me with no idea what the hell to do.
    >>
    >> 2. boot back into xp and make sure it's working.
    >>
    >> 3. boot your rh rescue disk, make your lilo edits, run and install lilo
    >> to the mbr...
    >>
    >> 4. back dualbooting with grub gone and lilo in the mbr..
    >>
    >> hope this helps bro...
    >>
    >> Bill

    > Yes it does. I think grub also chainloads OSs like xp. And I have no
    > idea how to remove it either. I don't even know how to get to the grub >
    > prompt if I wanted too. Maybe I better stick with lilo
    >
    > Bill

    glad to help bro... yes, grub does chainload other os's, in that respect
    it is no different than lilo. i prefer lilo for the simple reason that it
    is something that has been around a long time, and provides a simple and
    straightforward way to get rid of itself, in the 'lilo --help' and that's
    good enough. 'new' does not necessarily mean 'better' not for me.

    let me know how things work out...

  10. Re: lilo and xp

    Bill Cunningham wrote:

    > For some reason lilo will not install to my MBR. Grub will but not
    > lilo.
    > Is there some reason for this? I'm using an old RH 9.0 and xp media

    Probably that lilo is a bit outdated, and since you have XP as the first
    partition, the old lilo cannot jumpstart off >1024 cylinders or whatever
    translated in lba terms.
    You may simply get a more recent lilo and install that.