xcopy xmove - Linux

This is a discussion on xcopy xmove - Linux ; anyone have any experience using xcopy and/or xmove for X? or have any clue where i can download these? ive heard of these apps which are used to move windows from one display to another.. but google is having a ...

  1. xcopy xmove

    anyone have any experience using xcopy and/or xmove for X? or have any
    clue where i can download these? ive heard of these apps which are used
    to move windows from one display to another.. but google is having a
    hard time telling me about them.. im currently on fedora (planning a
    move to ubuntu soon) thanks in advance

    www.insaner.com

  2. Re: xcopy xmove

    In article ,
    insaner wrote:
    >anyone have any experience using xcopy and/or xmove for X? or have any
    >clue where i can download these? ive heard of these apps which are used
    >to move windows from one display to another.. but google is having a
    >hard time telling me about them..

    Asking Google for xmove works fine for me. In what way are you having a
    hard time?

  3. Re: xcopy xmove

    On 2006-11-24, Julian Bradfield wrote:
    > In article ,
    > insaner wrote:
    >>anyone have any experience using xcopy and/or xmove for X? or have any
    >>clue where i can download these? ive heard of these apps which are used
    >>to move windows from one display to another.. but google is having a
    >>hard time telling me about them..

    > Asking Google for xmove works fine for me. In what way are you having a
    > hard time?

    The results I get from Google are for moving files from one
    directory to another, not windows to another display (or desktop).
    Do you have a link to window-moving commands?

    --
    Chris F.A. Johnson, author |
    2005, Apress | GNU General Public Licence

  4. Re: xcopy xmove

    Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
    > On 2006-11-24, Julian Bradfield wrote:
    >> In article ,
    >> insaner wrote:
    >>> anyone have any experience using xcopy and/or xmove for X? or have any
    >>> clue where i can download these? ive heard of these apps which are used
    >>> to move windows from one display to another.. but google is having a
    >>> hard time telling me about them..

    >> Asking Google for xmove works fine for me. In what way are you having a
    >> hard time?

    > The results I get from Google are for moving files from one
    > directory to another, not windows to another display (or desktop).
    > Do you have a link to window-moving commands?

    Think I got a debian xmove as the third result when searching for xmove and
    thats for moving X Windows system applications between different X windows
    Servers.

    //Aho

  5. Re: xcopy xmove

    In alt.os.linux J.O. Aho :
    > Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
    >> On 2006-11-24, Julian Bradfield wrote:
    >>> Asking Google for xmove works fine for me. In what way are you having a
    >>> hard time?

    >> The results I get from Google are for moving files from one
    >> directory to another, not windows to another display (or desktop).
    >> Do you have a link to window-moving commands?

    > Think I got a debian xmove as the third result when searching for xmove and
    > thats for moving X Windows system applications between different X windows
    > Servers.

    It seems I get a good hit on the first try right on the box I am
    typing:

    $ rpm -qf `which xmove`
    xmove-2.0beta2-9

    Iirc tested out a few things with it, but first results weren't
    that great and it was a rather low priority task anyway, so I
    didn't took the time to look deeper. Likely I have converted it
    with alien from a debian package, indeed:

    (Converted from a deb package by alien version 8.44.)

    Strange enough I get as first hit from google the URL to the
    debian package...;-)

    #bofh excuse 33: piezo-electric interference

  6. Re: xcopy xmove

    On 2006-11-24, J.O. Aho wrote:
    > Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
    >> On 2006-11-24, Julian Bradfield wrote:
    >>> Asking Google for xmove works fine for me. In what way are you having a
    >>> hard time?

    >> The results I get from Google are for moving files from one
    >> directory to another, not windows to another display (or desktop).
    >> Do you have a link to window-moving commands?
    >>

    > Think I got a debian xmove as the third result when searching for xmove and
    > thats for moving X Windows system applications between different X windows
    > Servers.

    My mistake was searching for both xcopy and xmove.

    --
    Chris F.A. Johnson, author |
    2005, Apress | GNU General Public Licence

  7. Re: xcopy xmove

    Julian Bradfield wrote:
    > In article ,
    > insaner wrote:
    >> anyone have any experience using xcopy and/or xmove for X? or have any
    >> clue where i can download these? ive heard of these apps which are used
    >> to move windows from one display to another.. but google is having a
    >> hard time telling me about them..

    > Asking Google for xmove works fine for me. In what way are you having a
    > hard time?

    sorry about not being clear, but what i meant to say is that since i am
    running fedora (mentioned in original post) i cant find a way to get it
    onto my system.. ive been looking at xdmcp.. (just now.. havent read the
    whole thing) does anyone have any experience messing around with it to
    tell me if it will solve my problem? (moving an app from display :0 to
    dispaly :1 and so forth.. )

    heres what im trying to do.. i have my computer running.. it has a
    display :0.. i then ssh from another computer, and i would like to, say,
    chat using gaim (over this ssh connection) which is already open and
    running on my computer... and then "sending it back" to my computer (or
    if the ssh connection dies, that theres no problem.. such as gaim
    crashing or dying)

    so, anyone know of any solutions?

    -

    www.insaner.com

  8. Re: xcopy xmove

    ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.os.linux.]
    insaner enlightened us with:
    > sorry about not being clear, but what i meant to say is that since i
    > am running fedora (mentioned in original post) i cant find a way to
    > get it onto my system.. ive been looking at xdmcp.. (just now..
    > havent read the whole thing) does anyone have any experience messing
    > around with it to tell me if it will solve my problem? (moving an
    > app from display :0 to dispaly :1 and so forth.. )

    I don't think that's possible. Use Xinerama instead - then you'll have
    one two-screen :0 display and you can move windows from one screen to
    the other.

    > heres what im trying to do.. i have my computer running.. it has a
    > display :0.. i then ssh from another computer, and i would like to,
    > say, chat using gaim (over this ssh connection) which is already
    > open and running on my computer... and then "sending it back" to my
    > computer (or if the ssh connection dies, that theres no problem..
    > such as gaim crashing or dying)

    AFAIK that's impossible too. It'll be much easier to simply run a VNC
    server like x11vnc over the SSH tunnel. Of course, I may be wrong - if
    so, please correct me.

    Sybren
    --
    Sybren Stüvel
    Stüvel IT - http://www.stuvel.eu/

  9. Re: xcopy xmove

    > Iirc tested out a few things with it, but first results weren't
    > that great and it was a rather low priority task anyway, so I
    > didn't took the time to look deeper. Likely I have converted it
    > with alien from a debian package, indeed:
    >
    > (Converted from a deb package by alien version 8.44.)
    >
    > Strange enough I get as first hit from google the URL to the
    > debian package...;-)

    ok, i downloaded the deb, (several actually) then i tried to use alien..
    but holey crap if it isnt the most frustrating thing to get to run
    properly.. i spent 3 hours trying to get this thing correctly installed
    in fedora.. (no packages for it off the bat..) went to some obscure
    websites.. downloaded their (trustworthy? i hope) packages and installed
    those.. and STILL nothing.. rpmbuild gave a bunch of errors.. and at
    last effort, i just extracted the xmove and copied the files manually..
    not pleasant... so, question is..

    how did YOU get it to work/???

  10. Re: xcopy xmove

    In alt.os.linux insaner :

    [ using alien ]

    > ok, i downloaded the deb, (several actually) then i tried to use alien..
    > but holey crap if it isnt the most frustrating thing to get to run
    > properly.. i spent 3 hours trying to get this thing correctly installed
    > in fedora.. (no packages for it off the bat..) went to some obscure
    > websites.. downloaded their (trustworthy? i hope) packages and installed
    > those.. and STILL nothing.. rpmbuild gave a bunch of errors.. and at
    > last effort, i just extracted the xmove and copied the files manually..
    > not pleasant... so, question is..

    I am really unsure what you were doing? It should be obvious* how
    to use alien from the delivered documentation 'man alien'. The
    chapter "EXAMPLES" should remove any reaming questions.

    Don't know what you want to built? Alien is used to convert
    binary packages. Things should just work if you have the
    required libs installed.

    *OK, it isn't really obvious if you aren't used to reading man
    pages, though this problem can be easily overcome. ;-)

    Good luck

    BTW
    It is easier if you simply copy and paste commands and what
    output you got instead of "...gave a bunch of errors...".

    #bofh excuse 231: We had to turn off that service to comply
    with the CDA Bill.

  11. Re: xcopy xmove

    Michael Heiming wrote:
    > In alt.os.linux insaner :
    >
    > [ using alien ]
    >
    >> ok, i downloaded the deb, (several actually) then i tried to use alien..
    >> but holey crap if it isnt the most frustrating thing to get to run
    >> properly.. i spent 3 hours trying to get this thing correctly installed
    >> in fedora.. (no packages for it off the bat..) went to some obscure
    >> websites.. downloaded their (trustworthy? i hope) packages and installed
    >> those.. and STILL nothing.. rpmbuild gave a bunch of errors.. and at
    >> last effort, i just extracted the xmove and copied the files manually..
    >> not pleasant... so, question is..

    > I am really unsure what you were doing? It should be obvious* how
    > to use alien from the delivered documentation 'man alien'. The
    > chapter "EXAMPLES" should remove any reaming questions.
    >
    > Don't know what you want to built? Alien is used to convert
    > binary packages. Things should just work if you have the
    > required libs installed.
    >
    > *OK, it isn't really obvious if you aren't used to reading man
    > pages, though this problem can be easily overcome. ;-)
    >
    > Good luck
    >
    > BTW
    > It is easier if you simply copy and paste commands and what
    > output you got instead of "...gave a bunch of errors...".

    ok sorry i wasnt more explicit, since i gave up i didnt think it would
    make a difference.. for the curious, here is roughly what went down.. (i
    deleted a few "cd " lines)

    ps, rpmu is just an alias to rpm -Uvh

    -------------------------------------
    [root@localhost debs]# alien -r xmove_2.0beta2-8_i386.deb
    -- Examining xmove_2.0beta2-8_i386.deb
    tar: control: Not found in archive
    -- Unpacking xmove_2.0beta2-8_i386.deb
    -- Automatic spec file generation
    -- Building the package --2.i386.rpm
    -bb: unknown option
    alien: Error putting together the RPM package.
    [root@localhost debs]# ls
    - xmove_2.0beta2-7_i386.deb xmove_2.0beta2-8_i386.deb
    [root@localhost debs]# ls -/
    --2.spec usr/
    [root@localhost debs]# ls -/usr/
    bin/ lib/ share/
    [root@localhost debs]# rm -rf -
    [root@localhost debs]# alien -r xmove_2.0beta2-7_i386.deb
    -- Examining xmove_2.0beta2-7_i386.deb
    tar: control: Not found in archive
    -- Unpacking xmove_2.0beta2-7_i386.deb
    -- Automatic spec file generation
    -- Building the package --2.i386.rpm
    -bb: unknown option
    alien: Error putting together the RPM package.

    [root@localhost debs]# alien --version
    Alien version 6.53

    [root@localhost linux]# rpmu alien/alien-8.37-1.rhfc1.ccrma.noarch.rpm
    Preparing... ###########################################
    [100%]
    1:alien ###########################################
    [100%]

    [root@localhost debs]# alien -r xmove_2.0beta2-7_i386.deb
    Can't locate Alien/Package/Deb.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/i386-linux-thread-multi/5.8.6/i386-linux-thread-multi
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/i386-linux-thread-multi/5.8.6
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/i386-linux-thread-multi/i386-linux-thread-multi
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/i386-linux-thread-multi/5.8.5
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/i386-linux-thread-multi/5.8.4
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/i386-linux-thread-multi/5.8.3
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/i386-linux-thread-multi
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/5.8.6/i386-linux-thread-multi
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/5.8.6
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/i386-linux-thread-multi
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/5.8.5
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/5.8.4
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/5.8.3 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/i386-linux-thread-multi
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.4/i386-linux-thread-multi
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3/i386-linux-thread-multi
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.4 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl
    /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.6/i386-linux-thread-multi
    /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi
    /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.4/i386-linux-thread-multi
    /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3/i386-linux-thread-multi
    /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.6 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5
    /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.4 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3
    /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6/i386-linux-thread-multi
    /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6 .) at /usr/bin/alien line 289.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/alien line 289.

    [root@localhost debs]# rpmu ../alien/alien-8.46-2.1.i586.rpm
    rpmdb: Program version 4.3 doesn't match environment version
    error: db4 error(-30974) from dbenv->open: DB_VERSION_MISMATCH: Database
    environment version mismatch
    error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - (-30974)
    warning: cannot open Solve database in
    /usr/lib/rpmdb/i386-redhat-linux/redhat
    error: Failed dependencies:
    deb is needed by alien-8.46-2.1.i586

    [root@localhost debs]# rpmu --nodeps ../alien/deb-1.10.27-3.i586.rpm
    .../html2text-1.3.2a-3.i586.rpm
    Preparing... ###########################################
    [100%]
    1:html2text ###########################################
    [ 50%]
    2:deb ###########################################
    [100%]
    [root@localhost debs]# rpmu ../alien/alien-8.46-2.1.i586.rpm
    Preparing... ###########################################
    [100%]
    1:alien ###########################################
    [100%]

    [root@localhost debs]# alien -r xmove_2.0beta2-7_i386.deb
    Package build failed. Here's the log of the command (cd xmove-2.0beta2;
    rpmbuild -bb xmove-2.0beta2-8.spec):
    error: Legacy syntax is unsupported: copyright
    error: line 6: Unknown tag: Copyright: see /usr/share/doc/xmove/copyright

    [root@localhost debs]# rpmbuild --help
    Usage: rpmbuild [OPTION...]

    Build options with [ | | ]:
    -bp build through %prep (unpack sources and
    apply
    patches) from
    -bc build through %build (%prep, then compile)
    from
    -bi build through %install (%prep, %build, then
    install) from
    -bl verify %files section from
    -ba build source and binary packages from

    -bb build binary package only from
    -bs build source package only from
    -tp build through %prep (unpack sources and
    apply
    patches) from
    -tc build through %build (%prep, then compile)
    from
    -ti build through %install (%prep, %build, then
    install) from
    -ta build source and binary packages from

    -tb build binary package only from
    -ts build source package only from
    --rebuild build binary package from
    --recompile build through %install (%prep, %build, then
    install) from
    --buildroot=DIRECTORY override build root
    --clean remove build tree when done
    --nobuild do not execute any stages of the build
    --nodeps do not verify build dependencies
    --nodirtokens generate package header(s) compatible with
    (legacy) rpm[23] packaging
    --rmsource remove sources when done
    --rmspec remove specfile when done
    --short-circuit skip straight to specified stage (only
    for c,i)
    --target=CPU-VENDOR-OS override target platform

    Common options for all rpm modes and executables:
    -D, --define='MACRO EXPR' define MACRO with value EXPR
    -E, --eval='EXPR' print macro expansion of EXPR
    --macros= read instead of default file(s)
    --nodigest don't verify package digest(s)
    --nosignature don't verify package signature(s)
    --rcfile= read instead of default file(s)
    -r, --root=ROOT use ROOT as top level directory
    (default: "/")
    --querytags display known query tags
    --showrc display final rpmrc and macro configuration
    --quiet provide less detailed output
    -v, --verbose provide more detailed output
    --version print the version of rpm being used

    Options implemented via popt alias/exec:
    --dbpath=DIRECTORY use database in DIRECTORY
    --with=

  12. Re: xcopy xmove

    insaner wrote:

    > RPM build errors:
    > Installed (but unpackaged) file(s) found:
    > /xmove_2.0beta2-7.spec

    A spec file, hmmm... just download the source, place it in the
    /usr/src/redhat/SOURCE and extract the specfile to /usr/src/redhat/SPECS and
    then run "rpmbuild -ba /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/xmove_2.0beta2-7.spec" and you
    will end up with a RPM (if all the headers are there, you may have to edit the
    spec file to get a clean build) in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386

  13. Re: xcopy xmove

    In alt.os.linux J.O. Aho :
    > insaner wrote:

    >> RPM build errors:
    >> Installed (but unpackaged) file(s) found:
    >> /xmove_2.0beta2-7.spec

    > A spec file, hmmm... just download the source, place it in the
    > /usr/src/redhat/SOURCE and extract the specfile to /usr/src/redhat/SPECS and
    > then run "rpmbuild -ba /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/xmove_2.0beta2-7.spec" and you
    > will end up with a RPM (if all the headers are there, you may have to edit the
    > spec file to get a clean build) in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386

    Better get your hands on a working alien version to ease up
    things:

    # alien -r xmove_2.0beta2-8_i386.deb
    xmove-2.0beta2-9.i386.rpm generated

    Simply works for me. You don't need to run alien as root, though
    it might mess up file owner ship if not.

    $ alien --version
    alien version 8.44

    #bofh excuse 169: broadcast packets on wrong frequency

  14. Re: xcopy xmove

    > Better get your hands on a working alien version to ease up
    > things:
    >
    > # alien -r xmove_2.0beta2-8_i386.deb
    > xmove-2.0beta2-9.i386.rpm generated
    >
    > Simply works for me. You don't need to run alien as root, though
    > it might mess up file owner ship if not.
    >
    > $ alien --version
    > alien version 8.44

    but where did you download that version of alien?? what distro are you
    running???

    --
    insaner
    www.insaner.com

  15. Re: xcopy xmove

    In alt.os.linux insaner :

    >> Better get your hands on a working alien version to ease up
    >> things:

    >> # alien -r xmove_2.0beta2-8_i386.deb
    >> xmove-2.0beta2-9.i386.rpm generated

    >> Simply works for me. You don't need to run alien as root, though
    >> it might mess up file owner ship if not.

    >> $ alien --version
    >> alien version 8.44

    > but where did you download that version of alien?? what distro are you
    > running???

    Unsure, might be found on www.rpmseek.com, though it seems an
    older version, install date was "Sun Jun 20 20:44:08 2004" it
    seems to be originally made for PLD. Though alien is just a perl
    script so it shouldn't matter at all, as long as you have the
    perl modules required to run it installed in @INC.

    $ lsb_release -d

    Which is a RHEL clone, though it is heavily modified, kernel 2.6
    and alike, but this shouldn't make any difference.

    Simply get your hands on the latest alien version from the
    maintainer and stick it to /usr/local if there is no package for
    your distro available, I doubt it isn't but leave it to you
    searching for one.

    Good luck

    #bofh excuse 17: fat electrons in the lines