Best Linux book for newbie? - Linux

This is a discussion on Best Linux book for newbie? - Linux ; I am a complete newbie to Linux although I have a lot of computer experience (Windows and OS X). I haven't decided for sure which Linux distribution to go with but I will be using it with Parallels likely on ...

  1. Best Linux book for newbie?

    I am a complete newbie to Linux although I have a lot of computer
    experience (Windows and OS X). I haven't decided for sure which Linux
    distribution to go with but I will be using it with Parallels likely
    on a Mac and I am considering SUSE. When I buy a book should I get
    something distribution specific or just a general Linux book? Any
    suggestions of which book to get?

  2. Re: Best Linux book for newbie?

    On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 08:40:54 -0600, MarkW wrote:

    > I am a complete newbie to Linux although I have a lot of computer
    > experience (Windows and OS X). I haven't decided for sure which Linux
    > distribution to go with but I will be using it with Parallels likely
    > on a Mac and I am considering SUSE. When I buy a book should I get
    > something distribution specific or just a general Linux book? Any
    > suggestions of which book to get?

    The Linux Documentation Project: http://tldp.org/
    Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition: http://rute.2038bug.com/

    Gene (e-mail: gene \a\t eracc \d\o\t com)
    12:40:53 up 5 days, 4:54, 14 users, load average: 0.01, 0.13, 0.27
    ERA Computers & Consulting - http://www.eracc.com/ <- get VOIP here!
    eComStation, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenServer & UnixWare preloads & sales

  3. Re: Best Linux book for newbie?

    On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 08:40:54 -0600, MarkW wrote:

    > I am a complete newbie to Linux although I have a lot of computer
    > experience (Windows and OS X). I haven't decided for sure which Linux
    > distribution to go with but I will be using it with Parallels likely
    > on a Mac and I am considering SUSE. When I buy a book should I get
    > something distribution specific or just a general Linux book? Any
    > suggestions of which book to get?

    What is your rationale for getting a dead-tree document in the first
    place ?

    Have you really thought about it, or is it a knee-jerk reaction: oh, right
    - I need to learn, where's a Good Book (tm)?

    I have only ever bought or read books about *nix subjects when there was a
    certain well-understood advantage to be got from doing so - for instance,
    the few I can name right out that I either own or have read would be, off
    the top of my head: the Sendmail, BIND, and Samba books, all by O"Reilly.

    None of which you're likely to need for an appreciable amount of time.

    Go with the previous posters' choice of the inimitable Rute User's Guide.

    You'll learn plenty.

    J.

  4. Re: Best Linux book for newbie?

    Is there a way to get the .pdf version, or is that restricted to people that
    purchase it?

    "ERACC" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 08:40:54 -0600, MarkW wrote:
    >
    > > I am a complete newbie to Linux although I have a lot of computer
    > > experience (Windows and OS X). I haven't decided for sure which Linux
    > > distribution to go with but I will be using it with Parallels likely
    > > on a Mac and I am considering SUSE. When I buy a book should I get
    > > something distribution specific or just a general Linux book? Any
    > > suggestions of which book to get?

    > The Linux Documentation Project: http://tldp.org/
    > Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition: http://rute.2038bug.com/
    >
    > Gene (e-mail: gene \a\t eracc \d\o\t com)
    > --
    > Mandriva Linux release 2006.0 (Official) for i586
    > 12:40:53 up 5 days, 4:54, 14 users, load average: 0.01, 0.13, 0.27
    > ERA Computers & Consulting - http://www.eracc.com/ <- get VOIP here!
    > eComStation, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenServer & UnixWare preloads & sales

  5. Re: Best Linux book for newbie?

    * Bean wrote in comp.os.linux:

    [rute tutorial]

    > Is there a way to get the .pdf version, or is that restricted to
    > people that purchase it?

    There is a link at the top of the page that says Download PDF, did you
    click it?

    --
    David

  6. Re: Best Linux book for newbie?

    MarkW wrote:
    > I am a complete newbie to Linux although I have a lot of computer
    > experience (Windows and OS X). I haven't decided for sure which Linux
    > distribution to go with but I will be using it with Parallels likely
    > on a Mac and I am considering SUSE. When I buy a book should I get
    > something distribution specific or just a general Linux book? Any
    > suggestions of which book to get?

    I like the books with "Bible" in the title. They often come with a
    searchable electronic version on the included CD.
    If you don't know the correct term to look for...or the guru who wrote
    the book didn't think it important to put that in the index, you're
    hozed. A searchable electronic text can help you a lot.
    mike

  7. Re: Best Linux book for newbie?

    On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 17:23:34 +0000, mike wrote this:

    > MarkW wrote:
    >> I am a complete newbie to Linux although I have a lot of computer
    >> experience (Windows and OS X). I haven't decided for sure which Linux
    >> distribution to go with but I will be using it with Parallels likely on
    >> a Mac and I am considering SUSE. When I buy a book should I get
    >> something distribution specific or just a general Linux book? Any
    >> suggestions of which book to get?

    > I like the books with "Bible" in the title. They often come with a
    > searchable electronic version on the included CD. If you don't know the
    > correct term to look for...or the guru who wrote the book didn't think it
    > important to put that in the index, you're hozed. A searchable electronic
    > text can help you a lot. mike

    OP can google for HOWTOs. I'd recommend any Linux book that makes sense
    to OP, ie, easy reading and understandable, and contains a DVD/CD copy of
    the distro. There's a few FC/RH/SuSE books with DVD/CD included.

    I also found some really good post install Linux tips at

    http://souptonuts.sourceforge.net/ho...pen_source.htm

  8. Re: Best Linux book for newbie?

    I did click on that link, and it sent me to MWEB Home
    I found no mention of the rute user's Manual on that site.

    "SINNER" wrote in message
    news:Xns98B365745DE0Blouiscypherhellorg@140.99.99. 130...
    > * Bean wrote in comp.os.linux:
    >
    > [rute tutorial]
    >
    > > Is there a way to get the .pdf version, or is that restricted to
    > > people that purchase it?

    > There is a link at the top of the page that says Download PDF, did you
    > click it?
    >
    > --
    > David

  9. Re: Best Linux book for newbie?

    * Bean wrote in comp.os.linux:

    > I did click on that link, and it sent me to MWEB Home
    > I found no mention of the rute user's Manual on that site.

    Odd, it was working the day I posted this (I checked it before I posted
    just to be sure) but it does seem broken, at least from a Windows box using
    IE, sorry.

    You can install it there is a package in the debian repository called
    rutebook.

    --
    David

  10. Re: Best Linux book for newbie?

    Found it on the Debian Repo. Had to download the tar.gz, but it's in there,
    thanks!

    "SINNER" wrote in message
    news:Xns98C19A3BED867louiscypherhellorg@140.99.99. 130...
    > * Bean wrote in comp.os.linux:
    >
    > > I did click on that link, and it sent me to MWEB Home
    > > I found no mention of the rute user's Manual on that site.

    > Odd, it was working the day I posted this (I checked it before I posted
    > just to be sure) but it does seem broken, at least from a Windows box

    using
    > IE, sorry.
    >
    > You can install it there is a package in the debian repository called
    > rutebook.
    >
    > --
    > David

  11. Re: Best Linux book for newbie?

    "SINNER" wrote in message
    news:Xns98C19A3BED867louiscypherhellorg@140.99.99. 130...
    >* Bean wrote in comp.os.linux:
    >
    >> I did click on that link, and it sent me to MWEB Home
    >> I found no mention of the rute user's Manual on that site.

    > Odd, it was working the day I posted this (I checked it before I posted
    > just to be sure) but it does seem broken, at least from a Windows box
    > using
    > IE, sorry.
    >
    > You can install it there is a package in the debian repository called
    > rutebook.
    >
    > --
    > David

    The pdf points to http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/rute.pdf.bz2 but some
    servers seem to
    vector it over to http://new.mweb.co.za/
    I used IE7 and Firefox - same result. Provider is Verizon.!!!
    I'll go to find the Debian site to get the pdf. Just wish that the
    URL was posted here.
    LVsystem

+ Reply to Thread