Samba+NFS+SSH tunnel = file read problem - Linux

This is a discussion on Samba+NFS+SSH tunnel = file read problem - Linux ; My server is running RedHat 4.0 ES. I export the same share with Samba and with NFS over SSH tunneling. As clients I have a PC with Windows XP accessing to the share with Samba and a Redhat 9.0 box ...

  1. Samba+NFS+SSH tunnel = file read problem

    My server is running RedHat 4.0 ES. I export the same share with Samba and
    with NFS over SSH tunneling.
    As clients I have a PC with Windows XP accessing to the share with Samba and
    a Redhat 9.0 box accessing the share with NFS over SSH tunnels.

    My problem is that a file read operation hangs on my linux client if the
    file has been modified and saved by the Windows client a few seconds before!

    Here is my entry in fstab of the client:
    localhost:/UPSE /UPSE nfs tcp,rw,hard,intr,bg,port=7777,mountport=8888 0 0

    Here is my command to setup the tunnels:
    /usr/bin/ssh -f -c blowfish -L 7777:localhost:2049 -L 8888:localhost:4002
    193.5.229.151 /bin/sleep 60

    I have no problem when accessing the share directly with NFS, whithout SSH
    tunnels. I have just noticed that the file read operation in this case takes
    more time to complete. I found out that the NFS server sends back the error
    ERR_JUKEBOX for the first NFS READ operation. Then the client repeats the
    READ operation 5 sec. later.

    Any file locking problem?
    Any timeout problem?

    Thank you for any help.

  2. Re: Samba+NFS+SSH tunnel = file read problem

    I have resolved my problem.
    I have seen that without SSH tunnels my client was using NFS version 3 and
    with SSH tunnels NFS version 2.
    I have forced NFS version 3 in fstab:

    localhost:/UPSE /UPSE nfs
    nfsvers=3,tcp,rw,hard,intr,bg,port=7777,mountport= 8888 0 0

    and now I have no problem anymore. I still get the JUKEBOX error but the NFS
    READ operation is repeated after 5 sec and the client doesn't hang anymore.

    "CÚdric Pillonel" wrote in message
    > My server is running RedHat 4.0 ES. I export the same share with Samba and
    > with NFS over SSH tunneling.
    > As clients I have a PC with Windows XP accessing to the share with Samba

    and
    > a Redhat 9.0 box accessing the share with NFS over SSH tunnels.
    >
    > My problem is that a file read operation hangs on my linux client if the
    > file has been modified and saved by the Windows client a few seconds

    before!

    > Here is my entry in fstab of the client:
    > localhost:/UPSE /UPSE nfs tcp,rw,hard,intr,bg,port=7777,mountport=8888 0

    0

    > Here is my command to setup the tunnels:
    > /usr/bin/ssh -f -c blowfish -L 7777:localhost:2049 -L 8888:localhost:4002
    > 193.5.229.151 /bin/sleep 60
    >
    > I have no problem when accessing the share directly with NFS, whithout SSH
    > tunnels. I have just noticed that the file read operation in this case

    takes
    > more time to complete. I found out that the NFS server sends back the

    error
    > ERR_JUKEBOX for the first NFS READ operation. Then the client repeats the
    > READ operation 5 sec. later.
    >
    > Any file locking problem?
    > Any timeout problem?
    >
    > Thank you for any help.