Generally, how is inter-process communication implemented? - Linux

This is a discussion on Generally, how is inter-process communication implemented? - Linux ; Anyone know of a tutorial or overview on how an O.S. *implements* inter-process communication for such features as: Ports, Named Pipes, KDE's DCOP, Windows Running-Object Table, et.? I already know how they're used, I want to know the means they ...

  1. Generally, how is inter-process communication implemented?

    Anyone know of a tutorial or overview on how an O.S. *implements*
    inter-process communication for such features as: Ports, Named Pipes,
    KDE's DCOP, Windows Running-Object Table, et.? I already know how
    they're used, I want to know the means they use to do it.

    I suppose I would write API functions that create the data buffers, and
    the protocol (ports, DCOP, et.) are pointers that index them.

    Thanks,

    Scott

    --
    **********************************

    DIY Piezo-Gyro, PCB Drill Bot & More Soon!
    http://home.comcast.net/~scottxs/

    POLITICS, n.
    A strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles.
    The conduct of public affairs for private advantage. - Ambrose Bierce

    Don't ever give up what you want in life. The struggle is worth it - Ayn
    Rand

    **********************************

  2. Re: Generally, how is inter-process communication implemented?

    Scott Stephens wrote:

    > Anyone know of a tutorial or overview on how an O.S. *implements*
    > inter-process communication for such features as: Ports, Named Pipes,
    > KDE's DCOP, Windows Running-Object Table, et.? I already know how
    > they're used, I want to know the means they use to do it.

    I'd recommend W. Richard Stevens' 'Unix Network Programming Vol. 2'. It's
    MOSTLY about using IPC in Unix, but it includes a lot of information about
    implementation methods too.

+ Reply to Thread