Help with corrupt MBR please - Linux

This is a discussion on Help with corrupt MBR please - Linux ; I have a USB HDD which I used during the installation of a Linksys NSLU2. I let the NSLU2 format it, and it worked OK on the NSLU2. I now need to return it to its original job as a ...

  1. Help with corrupt MBR please

    I have a USB HDD which I used during the installation of a Linksys NSLU2. I
    let the NSLU2 format it, and it worked OK on the NSLU2. I now need to return
    it to its original job as a USB HDD on a Windows system.
    However I cannot reformat it as the MBR appears to be corrupt - being a USB
    device the normal DOS tools cannot get at it. At the moment I have it
    attached to a Linux system but cannot work out how to fix the MBR - once I
    can get it to a clean EXT2 or even unformatted then the Windows system can
    handle it.

    Partition Magic, while it cannot reformat it because of the bad MBR, does
    indicate that it is an EXT format - which is what I expected from the NSLU2.

    Any ideas please ?

    TIA

    Red

  2. Re: Help with corrupt MBR please

    Red Kite wrote:

    > I have a USB HDD which I used during the installation of a Linksys NSLU2.
    > I let the NSLU2 format it, and it worked OK on the NSLU2. I now need to
    > return it to its original job as a USB HDD on a Windows system.
    > However I cannot reformat it as the MBR appears to be corrupt - being a
    > USB device the normal DOS tools cannot get at it. At the moment I have it
    > attached to a Linux system but cannot work out how to fix the MBR - once I
    > can get it to a clean EXT2 or even unformatted then the Windows system can
    > handle it.

    Yes, there are DOS tools that can read/write usb hard drives, and Windows
    can also reformat the drive, so no problem so far......

    So you can see it Linux, right????

    Assuming the usb drive is the first and only SCSI device seen by Linux;

    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda count=1 bs=512

    --
    "A personal computer is called a personal computer because it's yours,
    Anything that runs on that computer, you should have control over."

  3. Re: Help with corrupt MBR please

    On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 19:03:13 +0100, Red Kite wrote:

    > I have a USB HDD which I used during the installation of a Linksys NSLU2. I
    > let the NSLU2 format it, and it worked OK on the NSLU2. I now need to return
    > it to its original job as a USB HDD on a Windows system.
    > However I cannot reformat it as the MBR appears to be corrupt - being a USB
    > device the normal DOS tools cannot get at it. At the moment I have it
    > attached to a Linux system but cannot work out how to fix the MBR - once I
    > can get it to a clean EXT2 or even unformatted then the Windows system can
    > handle it.
    >
    > Partition Magic, while it cannot reformat it because of the bad MBR, does
    > indicate that it is an EXT format - which is what I expected from the NSLU2.

    If you wish to format the whole disk then just zero the MBR and windows
    will think its a new disk

    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdxx count=1

    Jon

  4. Re: Help with corrupt MBR please

    I ran the command that you both kindly suggested and got

    1+0 records in
    1+0 records out
    512 bytes copied ..........

    so I assume the command worked OK - however Partition Magic is still
    reporting bad MBR.

    I am very green with Linux commands - how do I check that the Linux system
    can see the USB HDD ?

    While on Linux commands, is there a way of recalling previous commands to
    reissue them, or to change and the reissue them ?

    TIA

    Red

    "Unknown" wrote in message
    newsan.2006.04.08.21.44.13.88003@way.cc...
    > On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 19:03:13 +0100, Red Kite wrote:
    >
    >> I have a USB HDD which I used during the installation of a Linksys NSLU2.
    >> let the NSLU2 format it, and it worked OK on the NSLU2. I now need to
    >> return
    >> it to its original job as a USB HDD on a Windows system.
    >> However I cannot reformat it as the MBR appears to be corrupt - being a
    >> USB
    >> device the normal DOS tools cannot get at it. At the moment I have it
    >> attached to a Linux system but cannot work out how to fix the MBR - once
    >> can get it to a clean EXT2 or even unformatted then the Windows system
    >> can
    >> handle it.
    >>
    >> Partition Magic, while it cannot reformat it because of the bad MBR, does
    >> indicate that it is an EXT format - which is what I expected from the
    >> NSLU2.
    >>

    > If you wish to format the whole disk then just zero the MBR and windows
    > will think its a new disk
    >
    > dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdxx count=1
    >
    > Jon

  5. Re: Help with corrupt MBR please

    Red Kite Kite@airborn.com> wrote:

    > so I assume the command worked OK - however Partition Magic is still
    > reporting bad MBR.

    You haven't created a partition table. This error usually means that the
    partition table signature is missing.

    It is not necessary for a removable device to have a partition table, if you
    are using the whole device as a single partition.

    You will not be able to use partition magic against a drive without a
    partition table.

    If you really do want to create a partition table, run fdisk against the drive.

    You will then address your partition as /dev/sda1 instead of just /dev/sda

    Post a followup if you have any more problems.

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    International: 0044 121 247 1596

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  6. Re: Help with corrupt MBR please

    In , on Sun, 9 Apr 2006 11:31:57 +0100,
    Red Kite wrote:

    > While on Linux commands, is there a way of recalling previous commands to
    > reissue them, or to change and the reissue them ?

    Cursor up.

  7. Re: Help with corrupt MBR please

    Many thanks for all your help,
    HDD is now happily spinning away on its XP system.

    Red

    "Red Kite" Kite@airborn.com> wrote in message
    >I have a USB HDD which I used during the installation of a Linksys NSLU2. I
    >let the NSLU2 format it, and it worked OK on the NSLU2. I now need to
    >return it to its original job as a USB HDD on a Windows system.
    > However I cannot reformat it as the MBR appears to be corrupt - being a
    > USB device the normal DOS tools cannot get at it. At the moment I have it
    > attached to a Linux system but cannot work out how to fix the MBR - once I
    > can get it to a clean EXT2 or even unformatted then the Windows system can
    > handle it.
    >
    > Partition Magic, while it cannot reformat it because of the bad MBR, does
    > indicate that it is an EXT format - which is what I expected from the
    > NSLU2.
    >
    > Any ideas please ?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Red