Mouse wheel don't scroll - Linux

This is a discussion on Mouse wheel don't scroll - Linux ; My mouse wheel don't scroll in a linux world so do I choose a wrong mouse driver or I missed something?...

  1. Mouse wheel don't scroll

    My mouse wheel don't scroll in a linux world so do I choose a wrong mouse
    driver or I missed something?

  2. Re: Mouse wheel don't scroll

    Dado wrote:

    > My mouse wheel don't scroll in a linux world so do I choose a wrong mouse
    > driver or I missed something?

    No, the mouse wheel is the Z axis (much like your notmal X/Y), but
    programs expect scrolling infomation on buttons 4 and 5 (up and down
    buttons found atop and below the wheel). However, by default, the Z axis
    isn't mapped to 4 and 5 (what programs expect for scrolling)

    So we have to map the Z axis to buttons 4 and 5.

    Add this to the Input section of your X config for your mouse:

    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

    If you need further assistance, please reply to this. Your X config is a
    plain text file in /etc/X11/ which is named either XF86Config or xorg.conf

    Your mouse section should resemble (but not nessessrarly be exactly)
    like this:

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Mouse1" # First mouse
    Driver "mouse" # its a mouse-load mouse driver
    Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2" # PS/2 scrollmouse
    Option "Device" "/dev/psaux" # PS/2 port
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" # needed for scrolling
    EndSection

  3. Re: Mouse wheel don't scroll

    Segin wrote:

    > Dado wrote:
    >>
    >> My mouse wheel don't scroll in a linux world so do I choose a wrong mouse
    >> driver or I missed something?

    > No, the mouse wheel is the Z axis (much like your notmal X/Y), but
    > programs expect scrolling infomation on buttons 4 and 5 (up and down
    > buttons found atop and below the wheel). However, by default, the Z axis
    > isn't mapped to 4 and 5 (what programs expect for scrolling)
    >
    > So we have to map the Z axis to buttons 4 and 5.
    >
    > Add this to the Input section of your X config for your mouse:
    >
    > Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    >
    > If you need further assistance, please reply to this. Your X config is a
    > plain text file in /etc/X11/ which is named either XF86Config or xorg.conf
    >
    > Your mouse section should resemble (but not nessessrarly be exactly)
    > like this:
    >
    > Section "InputDevice"
    > Identifier "Mouse1" # First mouse
    > Driver "mouse" # its a mouse-load mouse driver
    > Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2" # PS/2 scrollmouse
    > Option "Device" "/dev/psaux" # PS/2 port
    > Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" # needed for scrolling
    > EndSection

    I tried to add
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" # needed for scrolling

    to my etc/X11/X86Config file but I don't have InputDevice section but:
    Section "Pointer"
    Protocol "IMPS/2"
    Device "/dev/usbmouse"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" #this I add but without any change on my
    wheel
    EndSection

  4. Re: Mouse wheel don't scroll

    Dado wrote:
    > Segin wrote:
    >

    >>Dado wrote:
    >>
    >>>My mouse wheel don't scroll in a linux world so do I choose a wrong mouse
    >>>driver or I missed something?

    >>No, the mouse wheel is the Z axis (much like your notmal X/Y), but
    >>programs expect scrolling infomation on buttons 4 and 5 (up and down
    >>buttons found atop and below the wheel). However, by default, the Z axis
    >>isn't mapped to 4 and 5 (what programs expect for scrolling)
    >>
    >>So we have to map the Z axis to buttons 4 and 5.
    >>
    >>Add this to the Input section of your X config for your mouse:
    >>
    >>Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    >>
    >>If you need further assistance, please reply to this. Your X config is a
    >>plain text file in /etc/X11/ which is named either XF86Config or xorg.conf
    >>
    >>Your mouse section should resemble (but not nessessrarly be exactly)
    >>like this:
    >>
    >>Section "InputDevice"
    >> Identifier "Mouse1" # First mouse
    >> Driver "mouse" # its a mouse-load mouse driver
    >> Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2" # PS/2 scrollmouse
    >> Option "Device" "/dev/psaux" # PS/2 port
    >> Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" # needed for scrolling
    >>EndSection

    > I tried to add
    > Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" # needed for scrolling
    >
    > to my etc/X11/X86Config file but I don't have InputDevice section but:
    > Section "Pointer"
    > Protocol "IMPS/2"
    > Device "/dev/usbmouse"
    > Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" #this I add but without any change on my
    > wheel
    > EndSection

    Are you using a very old Linux distro by chance? XFree86 has fallen out
    of use for everytrhing but NetBSD, and a "Pointer" section is only used
    on old versions of XF86 (really old, at that).

    Suggestion: Get a new car, err, distro.

  5. Re: Mouse wheel don't scroll

    Dado wrote:
    > Segin wrote:
    >

    >>Dado wrote:
    >>
    >>>My mouse wheel don't scroll in a linux world so do I choose a wrong mouse
    >>>driver or I missed something?

    >>No, the mouse wheel is the Z axis (much like your notmal X/Y), but
    >>programs expect scrolling infomation on buttons 4 and 5 (up and down
    >>buttons found atop and below the wheel). However, by default, the Z axis
    >>isn't mapped to 4 and 5 (what programs expect for scrolling)
    >>
    >>So we have to map the Z axis to buttons 4 and 5.
    >>
    >>Add this to the Input section of your X config for your mouse:
    >>
    >>Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    >>
    >>If you need further assistance, please reply to this. Your X config is a
    >>plain text file in /etc/X11/ which is named either XF86Config or xorg.conf
    >>
    >>Your mouse section should resemble (but not nessessrarly be exactly)
    >>like this:
    >>
    >>Section "InputDevice"
    >> Identifier "Mouse1" # First mouse
    >> Driver "mouse" # its a mouse-load mouse driver
    >> Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2" # PS/2 scrollmouse
    >> Option "Device" "/dev/psaux" # PS/2 port
    >> Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" # needed for scrolling
    >>EndSection

    > I tried to add
    > Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" # needed for scrolling
    >
    > to my etc/X11/X86Config file but I don't have InputDevice section but:
    > Section "Pointer"
    > Protocol "IMPS/2"
    > Device "/dev/usbmouse"
    > Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" #this I add but without any change on my
    > wheel
    > EndSection

    Try ZAxisMapping "4 5" instead of Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5". It's
    older XFree86 convention.

  6. Re: Mouse wheel don't scroll

    Segin wrote:

    > Dado wrote:
    >> Segin wrote:

    >>>No, the mouse wheel is the Z axis (much like your notmal X/Y), but
    >>>programs expect scrolling infomation on buttons 4 and 5 (up and down
    >>>buttons found atop and below the wheel). However, by default, the Z axis
    >>>isn't mapped to 4 and 5 (what programs expect for scrolling)
    >>>
    >>>So we have to map the Z axis to buttons 4 and 5.
    >>>
    >>>Add this to the Input section of your X config for your mouse:
    >>>
    >>>Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    >>>
    >>>If you need further assistance, please reply to this. Your X config is a
    >>>plain text file in /etc/X11/ which is named either XF86Config or
    >>>xorg.conf
    >>>
    >>>Your mouse section should resemble (but not nessessrarly be exactly)
    >>>like this:
    >>>
    >>>Section "InputDevice"
    >>> Identifier "Mouse1" # First mouse
    >>> Driver "mouse" # its a mouse-load mouse driver
    >>> Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2" # PS/2 scrollmouse
    >>> Option "Device" "/dev/psaux" # PS/2 port
    >>> Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" # needed for scrolling
    >>>EndSection

    >> I tried to add
    >> Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" # needed for scrolling
    >>
    >> to my etc/X11/X86Config file but I don't have InputDevice section but:
    >> Section "Pointer"
    >> Protocol "IMPS/2"
    >> Device "/dev/usbmouse"
    >> Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" #this I add but without any change on my
    >> wheel
    >> EndSection
    >>

    > Are you using a very old Linux distro by chance? XFree86 has fallen out
    > of use for everytrhing but NetBSD, and a "Pointer" section is only used
    > on old versions of XF86 (really old, at that).
    >
    > Suggestion: Get a new car, err, distro.

    I have Mandrake 9.1 and I know that it is better to change it, but I still
    don't know enough about linux to install a clean version with all that
    stuff I setup (everyone said to me that it is better than upgrade).

  7. Re: Mouse wheel don't scroll

    Dado wrote:

    > Segin wrote:
    >
    >> Dado wrote:

    >>> I tried to add
    >>> Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" # needed for scrolling
    >>>
    >>> to my etc/X11/X86Config file but I don't have InputDevice section but:
    >>> Section "Pointer"
    >>> Protocol "IMPS/2"
    >>> Device "/dev/usbmouse"
    >>> Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" #this I add but without any change on my
    >>> wheel
    >>> EndSection
    >>>

    >> Are you using a very old Linux distro by chance? XFree86 has fallen out
    >> of use for everytrhing but NetBSD, and a "Pointer" section is only used
    >> on old versions of XF86 (really old, at that).
    >>
    >> Suggestion: Get a new car, err, distro.

    > I have Mandrake 9.1 and I know that it is better to change it, but I still
    > don't know enough about linux to install a clean version with all that
    > stuff I setup (everyone said to me that it is better than upgrade).

    I tried:

    Section "Pointer"
    Protocol "IMPS/2"
    Device "/dev/usbmouse"
    ZAxisMapping "4 5" #ukljucuje skroll
    EndSection

    but without success. I wonder how can I figure out how to setup my mouse by
    myself. Where to find some error message of a wrong setup, so that I can,
    in the future, solve the problem by myself, with the experience.

  8. Re: Mouse wheel don't scroll

    Segin wrote:

    >>> No, the mouse wheel is the Z axis (much like your notmal X/Y), but
    >>> programs expect scrolling infomation on buttons 4 and 5 (up and down
    >>> buttons found atop and below the wheel). However, by default, the Z axis
    >>> isn't mapped to 4 and 5 (what programs expect for scrolling)
    >>>
    >>> So we have to map the Z axis to buttons 4 and 5.
    >>>
    >>> Add this to the Input section of your X config for your mouse:
    >>>
    >>> Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    >>>
    >>> If you need further assistance, please reply to this. Your X config is a
    >>> plain text file in /etc/X11/ which is named either XF86Config or
    >>> xorg.conf
    >>>
    >>> Your mouse section should resemble (but not nessessrarly be exactly)
    >>> like this:
    >>>
    >>> Section "InputDevice"
    >>> Identifier "Mouse1" # First mouse
    >>> Driver "mouse" # its a mouse-load mouse driver
    >>> Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2" # PS/2 scrollmouse
    >>> Option "Device" "/dev/psaux" # PS/2 port
    >>> Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" # needed for scrolling
    >>> EndSection

    >> I tried to add Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" # needed for
    >> scrolling
    >>
    >> to my etc/X11/X86Config file but I don't have InputDevice section but:
    >> Section "Pointer"
    >> Protocol "IMPS/2"
    >> Device "/dev/usbmouse"
    >> Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" #this I add but without any change on
    >> my wheel
    >> EndSection
    >>

    > Try ZAxisMapping "4 5" instead of Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5". It's
    > older XFree86 convention.

    Does he need a "Buttons 5" as well?

+ Reply to Thread