File synchronization - Linux

This is a discussion on File synchronization - Linux ; Hi, I'm looking for a simple tool to synchronize a directory tree between my local hard drive and a remote ftp server. Any suggestions? Regards, August -- I am the "ILOVEGNU" signature virus. Just copy me to your signature. This ...

  1. File synchronization

    --
    I am the "ILOVEGNU" signature virus. Just copy me to your
    signature. This email was infected under the terms of the GNU

  2. Re: File synchronization

    On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 02:08:51 +0000, August Karlstrom wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm looking for a simple tool to synchronize a directory tree between my
    > local hard drive and a remote ftp server. Any suggestions?

    rsync or unison

  3. Re: File synchronization

    Ivan Marsh wrote:
    > On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 02:08:51 +0000, August Karlstrom wrote:
    >>I'm looking for a simple tool to synchronize a directory tree between my
    >>local hard drive and a remote ftp server. Any suggestions?

    > rsync or unison

    If I got it right, rsync and unison uses SSH or RSH but it seems like my
    ISP support neither of them. I like the `mirror' program but I can't
    figure out how to or if I can upload files with it. Mirroring *from* the
    remote site works alright with `mirror'. I've spent the last hour
    looking for a program that can mirror a local directory tree to a remote
    ftp server, but no success thus far... Jesus.

    August

    --
    I am the "ILOVEGNU" signature virus. Just copy me to your
    signature. This email was infected under the terms of the GNU
    General Public License.

  4. Re: File synchronization

    August Karlstrom wrote:
    > I've spent the last hour looking for a program that can mirror a local
    > directory tree to a remote ftp server, but no success thus far... Jesus.

    I'm sure that in the past, I have used ftp -r (for recursive transfers). I'm
    not sure what operating system I was on at the time though, I was probably
    transferring files from windoze machine to an HP unix based machine.

    I'm just looking at various FTP manuals and there does not appear to
    be a recursive option.

    I know that some graphical based ftp programs allow you to drag folders across
    for a recursive ftp transfer. Maybe this will suit your purpose for now.

    You could obtain a recursive directory listing, pipe this into a file, and
    then convert this to an ftp "feeder" script.

    Hopefully, someone will develop a recursive ftp option in future. (It's
    probably only a few lines of code.)

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    International: 0044 121 247 1596

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  5. Re: File synchronization

    Mark Hobley wrote:
    > August Karlstrom wrote:
    >
    >>I've spent the last hour looking for a program that can mirror a local
    >>directory tree to a remote ftp server, but no success thus far... Jesus.

    > I'm sure that in the past, I have used ftp -r (for recursive transfers). I'm
    > not sure what operating system I was on at the time though, I was probably
    > transferring files from windoze machine to an HP unix based machine.
    >
    > I'm just looking at various FTP manuals and there does not appear to
    > be a recursive option.
    >
    > I know that some graphical based ftp programs allow you to drag folders across
    > for a recursive ftp transfer. Maybe this will suit your purpose for now.
    >
    > You could obtain a recursive directory listing, pipe this into a file, and
    > then convert this to an ftp "feeder" script.
    >
    > Hopefully, someone will develop a recursive ftp option in future. (It's
    > probably only a few lines of code.)

    The Kermit script ftpsyncup solved my problem:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/
    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckscripts.html

    Thanks anyway,

    August

    --
    I am the "ILOVEGNU" signature virus. Just copy me to your
    signature. This email was infected under the terms of the GNU
    General Public License.

+ Reply to Thread