Small Linux Distro ? - Linux

This is a discussion on Small Linux Distro ? - Linux ; Hey there folks, I've been using Linux on and off for the last 18 months or so for building boxes to help me with my networking. I'd like to create a vmware image that I can send to customers that ...

  1. Small Linux Distro ?

    Hey there folks,

    I've been using Linux on and off for the last 18 months or so for
    building boxes to help me with my networking.

    I'd like to create a vmware image that I can send to customers that runs
    mrtg for network monitoring. I've had a look at DSL, but I am
    struggling to get it to install onto a vmware HD.

    *Does anyone know of a very small (text only is ok) distro that will
    install to a vmware hd?*

    I've also tried mimix3, but that couldn't see the hd either....

    Many thanks in advance,
    LH

  2. Re: Small Linux Distro ?

    All,

    Not to worry, I've found a vmware version of mimix on the mimix website!

    http://www.minix3.org/vmware.html

    Cheers
    LH

    Leigh Harrison wrote:
    > Hey there folks,
    >
    > I've been using Linux on and off for the last 18 months or so for
    > building boxes to help me with my networking.
    >
    > I'd like to create a vmware image that I can send to customers that runs
    > mrtg for network monitoring. I've had a look at DSL, but I am
    > struggling to get it to install onto a vmware HD.
    >
    > *Does anyone know of a very small (text only is ok) distro that will
    > install to a vmware hd?*
    >
    > I've also tried mimix3, but that couldn't see the hd either....
    >
    > Many thanks in advance,
    > LH

  3. Re: Small Linux Distro ?

    On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 10:25:43 +0100, Leigh Harrison wrote:

    > Hey there folks,
    >
    > I've been using Linux on and off for the last 18 months or so for
    > building boxes to help me with my networking.
    >
    > I'd like to create a vmware image that I can send to customers that runs
    > mrtg for network monitoring. I've had a look at DSL, but I am
    > struggling to get it to install onto a vmware HD.
    >
    > *Does anyone know of a very small (text only is ok) distro that will
    > install to a vmware hd?*
    >
    > I've also tried mimix3, but that couldn't see the hd either....
    >
    > Many thanks in advance,
    > LH

    I've run puppy from a 256mb flash disk.

  4. Re: Small Linux Distro ?

    On Wed, 05 Apr 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux, in article
    , Leigh Harrison wrote:

    >Leigh Harrison wrote:

    >> I'd like to create a vmware image that I can send to customers that runs
    >> mrtg for network monitoring. I've had a look at DSL, but I am
    >> struggling to get it to install onto a vmware HD.

    http://www.distrowatch.com/

    There are dozens of small Linux distributions

    >Not to worry, I've found a vmware version of mimix on the mimix website!

    You may want to look carefully at the web site - I'm not sure yours
    would be a legal use of the O/S which is meant as a training device, not
    a commercial product.

    Old guy

  5. Re: Small Linux Distro ?

    "ray"posted the following on 2006-04-05:

    > On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 10:25:43 +0100, Leigh Harrison wrote:
    >
    >> Hey there folks,
    >>
    >> I've been using Linux on and off for the last 18 months or so for
    >> building boxes to help me with my networking.
    >>
    >> I'd like to create a vmware image that I can send to customers that runs
    >> mrtg for network monitoring. I've had a look at DSL, but I am
    >> struggling to get it to install onto a vmware HD.
    >>
    >> *Does anyone know of a very small (text only is ok) distro that will
    >> install to a vmware hd?*
    >>
    >> I've also tried mimix3, but that couldn't see the hd either....
    >>
    >> Many thanks in advance,
    >> LH

    > I've run puppy from a 256mb flash disk.

    How does that relate to the OP's question?

  6. Re: Small Linux Distro ?

    On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 03:05:26 +0200, Richard G. Riley wrote:

    > "ray"posted the following on 2006-04-05:
    >
    >> On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 10:25:43 +0100, Leigh Harrison wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hey there folks,
    >>>
    >>> I've been using Linux on and off for the last 18 months or so for
    >>> building boxes to help me with my networking.
    >>>
    >>> I'd like to create a vmware image that I can send to customers that runs
    >>> mrtg for network monitoring. I've had a look at DSL, but I am
    >>> struggling to get it to install onto a vmware HD.
    >>>
    >>> *Does anyone know of a very small (text only is ok) distro that will
    >>> install to a vmware hd?*
    >>>
    >>> I've also tried mimix3, but that couldn't see the hd either....
    >>>
    >>> Many thanks in advance,
    >>> LH

    >> I've run puppy from a 256mb flash disk.
    >>

    > How does that relate to the OP's question?

    I would think that should qualify as 'very small'.

  7. Re: Small Linux Distro ?

    "ray"posted the following on 2006-04-06:

    > On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 03:05:26 +0200, Richard G. Riley wrote:

    >>> I've run puppy from a 256mb flash disk.
    >>>

    >> How does that relate to the OP's question?

    > I would think that should qualify as 'very small'.

    Aha. I understood the problem to be more the issues that the distro
    doesnt recognise a vmware hd.

  8. Re: Small Linux Distro ?

    All,

    Thank you very much for the responses - it's helped me get a better idea
    of what I'm after.

    What I'd like to produce is either a vmware image or an iso with the
    following:-

    MRTG
    NTOP
    APACHE (to display mrtg and ntop)
    NMAP
    NETSNMP

    I'd like it to be as small as possible and an not fussed about X on there.

    Is there any good tools that I can use to build an iso? I'd like to run
    the vmware image on debian (hence DSL)which will come out at 300MB ish
    when installed, but I can't seem to install it to a vmware disk - any
    thoughts on this?

    Many thanks in advance,
    LH

    PS - yeah, I did mean Minix !!

    Richard G. Riley wrote:
    > "ray"posted the following on 2006-04-06:
    >
    >> On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 03:05:26 +0200, Richard G. Riley wrote:
    >>
    >>> "ray"posted the following on 2006-04-05:

    >>> How does that relate to the OP's question?

    >> I would think that should qualify as 'very small'.

    > Aha. I understood the problem to be more the issues that the distro
    > doesnt recognise a vmware hd.

  9. Re: Small Linux Distro ?

    Ok,

    I've installed Ubuntu server version onto a vmware image. I've put in
    the bits that I wanted to get in there (mrtg, ntop, etc.).

    The virtual disk size is 500MB. What can I remove from the Ubuntu
    installation that I will not need? I'm quite happy with a 500MB image,
    but I'm sure that there is a lot in there that will never be used.

    What tools are available to make this into an iso image?

    Many thanks,
    LH

    Leigh Harrison wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > Thank you very much for the responses - it's helped me get a better idea
    > of what I'm after.
    >
    > What I'd like to produce is either a vmware image or an iso with the
    > following:-
    >
    > MRTG
    > NTOP
    > APACHE (to display mrtg and ntop)
    > NMAP
    > NETSNMP
    >
    > I'd like it to be as small as possible and an not fussed about X on there.
    >
    > Is there any good tools that I can use to build an iso? I'd like to run
    > the vmware image on debian (hence DSL)which will come out at 300MB ish
    > when installed, but I can't seem to install it to a vmware disk - any
    > thoughts on this?
    >
    > Many thanks in advance,
    > LH
    >
    > PS - yeah, I did mean Minix !!
    >

    > Richard G. Riley wrote:

    >>> I would think that should qualify as 'very small'.

    >> Aha. I understood the problem to be more the issues that the distro
    >> doesnt recognise a vmware hd.

  10. Re: Small Linux Distro ?

    On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 15:52:31 +0100, Leigh Harrison wrote:

    > I've installed Ubuntu server version onto a vmware image. I've put in
    > the bits that I wanted to get in there (mrtg, ntop, etc.).
    >
    > The virtual disk size is 500MB. What can I remove from the Ubuntu
    > installation that I will not need? I'm quite happy with a 500MB image,
    > but I'm sure that there is a lot in there that will never be used.
    >
    > What tools are available to make this into an iso image?

    (Please don't top-post, BTW.)

    Try "mkisofs -o ImageFileName.iso /PATH_TO_TOP_OF_SERVER/"

    and substitute paths as necessary.
    --
    mark south; echo znexfbhgu2000@lnubb.pb.hx|tr a-z n-za-m
    "I can trace my ancestry back to a protoplasmal primordial atomic

+ Reply to Thread