FC4 -> FC5 upgrade successful... - Linux

This is a discussion on FC4 -> FC5 upgrade successful... - Linux ; Hey Folks, Just an FC5 report. I upgraded my server from FC4 to FC5 this weekend. 3nic router with masquerade to internal LAN, LAMP and e-mail server. With the exception of having to add the masquerade rules for the firewall ...

  1. FC4 -> FC5 upgrade successful...

    Hey Folks,

    Just an FC5 report.

    I upgraded my server from FC4 to FC5 this weekend. 3nic router with
    masquerade to internal LAN, LAMP and e-mail server.

    With the exception of having to add the masquerade rules for the firewall
    to rc.local and update the dovecot.conf it went completely without a
    hitch.

  2. Re: FC4 -> FC5 upgrade successful...

    "Ivan Marsh" wrote in message
    newsan.2006.03.27.18.13.39.878575@you.now...
    > Hey Folks,
    >
    > Just an FC5 report.
    >
    > I upgraded my server from FC4 to FC5 this weekend. 3nic router with
    > masquerade to internal LAN, LAMP and e-mail server.
    >
    > With the exception of having to add the masquerade rules for the firewall
    > to rc.local and update the dovecot.conf it went completely without a
    > hitch.

    FC5 already?

    heck i just upgraded my RH9 to FC3 late last year
    (worked fine though)

  3. Re: FC4 -> FC5 upgrade successful...

    On Mon, 27 Mar 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux, in article
    , philo wrote:

    >"Ivan Marsh" wrote

    >> I upgraded my server from FC4 to FC5 this weekend.

    >FC5 already?
    >
    >heck i just upgraded my RH9 to FC3 late last year
    >(worked fine though)

    Pay attention! There is going to be a test on this next week.

    Version Released Name Last Updated "in service"
    redhat-2.1 ? Oct 95 - >4 Oct 96 12 mo+
    redhat-3.0.3 15 Mar 96 picasso >4 Oct 96 7 mo+
    redhat-4.0 3 Oct 96 colgate 8 Aug 97 10 mo
    redhat-4.1 3 Feb 97 vanderbilt 8 Aug 97 6 mo
    redhat-4.2 19 May 97 biltmore 12 Apr 00 35 mo
    redhat-5.0 1 Dec 97 hurricane 16 Apr 99 16 mo
    redhat-5.1 27 May 98 manhatten 16 Apr 99 11 mo
    redhat-5.2 2 Nov 98 apollo 23 Oct 01 36 mo
    redhat-6.0 27 Apr 99 hedwig 2 Mar 01 22 mo
    redhat-6.1 4 Oct 99 cartman 2 Mar 01 18 mo
    redhat-6.2 27 Mar 00 zoot 31 Mar 03 36 mo
    redhat-7.0 25 Sep 00 guinness 2 Apr 03 30 mo
    redhat-7.1 16 Apr 01 seawolf 31 Dec 03 33 mo
    redhat-7.2 22 Oct 01 enigma 31 Dec 03/May 04 26 mo
    redhat-7.3 6 May 02 valhalla 31 Dec 03* 20 mo
    redhat-8.0 30 Sep 02 psyche 31 Dec 03/May 04 15 mo
    redhat-9 7 Apr 03 shrike 30 Apr 04* 13 mo
    fedora-core-1 5 Nov 03 yarrow *
    fedora-core-2 18 May 04 fc2 *
    fedora-core-3 8 Nov 04 fc3 *
    fedora-core-4 13 Jun 05 fc4
    fedora-core-5 15 Mar 06 fc5

    Those marked with a '*' are still getting limited support (back-ports)
    at fedoralegacy.org. RH 7.2 and 8.0 got limited support there, and were
    "retired" because of lack of interest. (I only started this table in 1998
    trying to provide a memory helper. We started with 2.1 in 1995, and stopped
    with limited installations of 9 in mid 2003. The "in service" column refers
    to the spam between release and the end of "official" support.)

    Old guy

  4. Re: FC4 -> FC5 upgrade successful...

    http://fedora.redhat.com/about/history/

    > We started with 2.1 in 1995, and stopped with limited installations of 9
    > in mid 2003.

    I used Slackware initially, switched to RH as of 4.x, followed most major
    RH and FC releases, now on FC5.

    > fedora-core-1 yarrow
    > fedora-core-2 tettnang
    > fedora-core-3 heidelberg
    > fedora-core-4 stentz
    > fedora-core-5 bordeaux

    -- HASM

  5. Re: FC4 -> FC5 upgrade successful...

    That's good to know. How did you do it, please?

    Jeff

    On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 12:13:39 -0600, Ivan Marsh wrote:

    > Hey Folks,
    >
    > Just an FC5 report.
    >
    > I upgraded my server from FC4 to FC5 this weekend. 3nic router with
    > masquerade to internal LAN, LAMP and e-mail server.
    >
    > With the exception of having to add the masquerade rules for the firewall
    > to rc.local and update the dovecot.conf it went completely without a
    > hitch.

  6. Re: FC4 -> FC5 upgrade successful...

    philo wrote:
    > "Ivan Marsh" wrote in message
    > newsan.2006.03.27.18.13.39.878575@you.now...
    >
    >>Hey Folks,
    >>
    >>Just an FC5 report.
    >>
    >>I upgraded my server from FC4 to FC5 this weekend. 3nic router with
    >>masquerade to internal LAN, LAMP and e-mail server.
    >>
    >>With the exception of having to add the masquerade rules for the firewall
    >>to rc.local and update the dovecot.conf it went completely without a
    >>hitch.
    >>

    > FC5 already?
    >
    > heck i just upgraded my RH9 to FC3 late last year
    > (worked fine though)

    I just downloaded the fc5 CD yesterday. Im about to upgrade my RH9 next
    weekend...

    --
    Thank you,

  7. Re: FC4 -> FC5 upgrade successful...

    wrote:

    >Hey Folks,
    >
    >Just an FC5 report.
    >
    >I upgraded my server from FC4 to FC5 this weekend. 3nic router with
    >masquerade to internal LAN, LAMP and e-mail server.
    >
    >With the exception of having to add the masquerade rules for the firewall
    >to rc.local and update the dovecot.conf it went completely without a
    >hitch.

    I dl'd the DVD version, tried to upgrade, and it failed complaining of
    problems with the repodata directory...then dl'd the CDs and did the
    upgrade hitch-free. I found a couple of posts online from people who
    had the same repodata problem.

    I did notice that the text field at the bottom of the screen that
    tells what package is installing doesn't seem to update for every
    package after the first disk.

    rj

  8. Re: FC4 -> FC5 upgrade successful...

    Ralph Jones wrote:
    > On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 12:13:39 -0600, Ivan Marsh
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Hey Folks,
    >>
    >> Just an FC5 report.
    >>
    >> I upgraded my server from FC4 to FC5 this weekend. 3nic router with
    >> masquerade to internal LAN, LAMP and e-mail server.
    >>
    >> With the exception of having to add the masquerade rules for the firewall
    >> to rc.local and update the dovecot.conf it went completely without a
    >> hitch.

    > I dl'd the DVD version, tried to upgrade, and it failed complaining of
    > problems with the repodata directory...then dl'd the CDs and did the
    > upgrade hitch-free. I found a couple of posts online from people who
    > had the same repodata problem.
    >
    > I did notice that the text field at the bottom of the screen that
    > tells what package is installing doesn't seem to update for every
    > package after the first disk.

    Try "linux resolution=1024x768 nofb" as the boot prompt.

    --
    -bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)