OpenGL w/ Savage IX/MV Card - Linux

This is a discussion on OpenGL w/ Savage IX/MV Card - Linux ; I recently tried to test out the capabilities of my laptop and Linux by installing Quake 3. After trying to get it to run, I had to use a variable to make it run on software GL, basically saying that ...

  1. OpenGL w/ Savage IX/MV Card

    I recently tried to test out the capabilities of my laptop and Linux by
    installing Quake 3. After trying to get it to run, I had to use a
    variable to make it run on software GL, basically saying that I didn't
    have an OpenGL card. This made Quake 3 run about as fast as my dead
    grandmother. I have the S3 Savage IX/MV with 8 MB of memory.
    This is a 3D card becuase I was able to Quake 3 in Windows with OpenGL.
    I have looked at various websites trying to figure it out. I downloaded
    the most recent version of the S3 Savage driver for X Windows, only to
    make it so X Windows didn't load. (Thankfully I backed up my original
    savage_drv.o file) and I recompiled MESA3D for my system thinking that
    if I linked the savage card to it, then it would make a libGL.so.0 that
    would work.
    I'm pretty much stuck now, trying to figure out how to get the 3D
    acceleration to work with my card and Xwindows/Quake 3.
    Any help would be greatly apreciated.

    Thanks
    Luke

  2. Re: OpenGL w/ Savage IX/MV Card

    Lucas Williams wrote:

    > I recently tried to test out the capabilities of my laptop and Linux by
    > installing Quake 3. After trying to get it to run, I had to use a
    > variable to make it run on software GL, basically saying that I didn't
    > have an OpenGL card. This made Quake 3 run about as fast as my dead
    > grandmother. I have the S3 Savage IX/MV with 8 MB of memory.
    > This is a 3D card becuase I was able to Quake 3 in Windows with OpenGL.
    > I have looked at various websites trying to figure it out. I downloaded
    > the most recent version of the S3 Savage driver for X Windows, only to
    > make it so X Windows didn't load. (Thankfully I backed up my original
    > savage_drv.o file) and I recompiled MESA3D for my system thinking that
    > if I linked the savage card to it, then it would make a libGL.so.0 that
    > would work.
    > I'm pretty much stuck now, trying to figure out how to get the 3D
    > acceleration to work with my card and Xwindows/Quake 3.
    > Any help would be greatly apreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Luke

    Would that be dri.sourceforge.net?

    I don't have a laptop with the ix/mv chipset, but do have the S3 twisterK
    stuff. DRI works here perfectly.

    First thing I can suggest is, go back to the dri.sourceforge.net website and
    chek to make sure that the ix/mv chips are supported. If so, then print out
    the install directions and try it again.

    Jerry

    --

    ************************************************** ****************************
    Registered Linux User Number 185956

  3. Re: OpenGL w/ Savage IX/MV Card

    "Lucas Williams" wrote in message
    news8GdnfhXooyhMTrenZ2dnUVZ_sSdnZ2d@wavecable.com...
    >I recently tried to test out the capabilities of my laptop and Linux by
    >installing Quake 3. After trying to get it to run, I had to use a variable
    >to make it run on software GL, basically saying that I didn't have an
    >OpenGL card. This made Quake 3 run about as fast as my dead grandmother. I
    >have the S3 Savage IX/MV with 8 MB of memory.
    > This is a 3D card becuase I was able to Quake 3 in Windows with OpenGL. I
    > have looked at various websites trying to figure it out. I downloaded the
    > most recent version of the S3 Savage driver for X Windows, only to make it
    > so X Windows didn't load. (Thankfully I backed up my original savage_drv.o
    > file) and I recompiled MESA3D for my system thinking that if I linked the
    > savage card to it, then it would make a libGL.so.0 that would work.
    > I'm pretty much stuck now, trying to figure out how to get the 3D
    > acceleration to work with my card and Xwindows/Quake 3.
    > Any help would be greatly apreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Luke

    Luke,

    I doubted that you had OpenGL running on your S3 Savage card, it's an old
    card, not much development going on for this card. You just feel that it
    was working or something is misleading your Quake 3. The fact that you
    didn't get your 3D working tells me that your OpenGL was not present or it
    did not work.

    OpenGL on Windows XP is an emulation of IRIS OpenGL, it is supposed to tell
    the driver to run its 3D to support OpenGL command buffer. You may have
    DirectX running instead.

+ Reply to Thread