Newbie: how to spin off a process - Linux

This is a discussion on Newbie: how to spin off a process - Linux ; Sometimes I need to run a very long process on my remote linux server. I log in using Putty and run the process from the command line. If I close the Putty window while the process is running, though, the ...

  1. Newbie: how to spin off a process

    Sometimes I need to run a very long process on my remote linux server. I log
    in using Putty and run the process from the command line. If I close the
    Putty window while the process is running, though, the process gets killed.

    Is there a way I can spin the process off and have it run on its own, and
    then terminate when it's done?

    Example: I need to compress a very large file using gzip. The process is
    expected to take 20 hours. I'd rather not leave Putty open on my desktop the
    entire time.

  2. Re: Newbie: how to spin off a process

    Chris wrote:
    > Sometimes I need to run a very long process on my remote
    > linux server. I log in using Putty and run the process
    > from the command line. If I close the Putty window while
    > the process is running, though, the process gets killed.
    >
    > Is there a way I can spin the process off and have it run
    > on its own, and then terminate when it's done?
    >
    > Example: I need to compress a very large file using gzip.
    > The process is expected to take 20 hours. I'd rather not
    > leave Putty open on my desktop the entire time.

    Check out 'nohup'. I think you can do it with 'screen' too.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

  3. Re: Newbie: how to spin off a process

    nohup compress myfile &

    "Chris" wrote in message
    news:435be130$0$28757$9a6e19ea@news.newshosting.co m...
    > Sometimes I need to run a very long process on my remote linux server. I

    log
    > in using Putty and run the process from the command line. If I close the
    > Putty window while the process is running, though, the process gets

    killed.

    > Is there a way I can spin the process off and have it run on its own, and
    > then terminate when it's done?
    >
    > Example: I need to compress a very large file using gzip. The process is
    > expected to take 20 hours. I'd rather not leave Putty open on my desktop

    the
    > entire time.

+ Reply to Thread