Which distribution will recognize my modem without problem on HP 9105 laptop? - Linux

This is a discussion on Which distribution will recognize my modem without problem on HP 9105 laptop? - Linux ; Which distribution will recognize my modem without problem on HP 9105 laptop? Without problem and without loosing one month on so usual hardware. I have smarter investigating jobs than that. I tried Mandriva 2005 and Suse 9.3 which didn't recognize ...

  1. Which distribution will recognize my modem without problem on HP 9105 laptop?

    Which distribution will recognize my modem without problem on HP 9105
    laptop? Without problem and without loosing one month on so usual hardware.
    I have smarter investigating jobs than that.
    I tried Mandriva 2005 and Suse 9.3 which didn't recognize modem. Under XP it
    is Agere systems AC'97 modem.

  2. Re: Which distribution will recognize my modem without problem on HP 9105 laptop?

    Mario wrote:

    > I tried Mandriva 2005 and Suse 9.3 which didn't recognize modem. Under XP it
    > is Agere systems AC'97 modem.

    Does it not work as a standard 28000 modem ?

    What serial port is it on ?

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    International: 0044 121 247 1596

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  3. Re: Which distribution will recognize my modem without problem on HP 9105 laptop?

    Mark Hobley wrote:

    > Mario wrote:
    >
    >> I tried Mandriva 2005 and Suse 9.3 which didn't recognize modem. Under XP
    >> it is Agere systems AC'97 modem.

    > Does it not work as a standard 28000 modem ?
    >
    > What serial port is it on ?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Mark.

    How to find out these things ?
    I tried to install softmodem packages and choose /dev/ttyS0 but without dial
    tone. People ask me is it software modem. I don't know, I think that
    laptops have internal hardware modem that will be recognize without
    searching linmodem database which I shortly can't figure out.

  4. Re: Which distribution will recognize my modem without problem on HP 9105 laptop?

    Mario wrote:

    > How to find out these things ?

    If your system still runs XP, the quickest way is to note the settings.

    If it is a real modem, it will be listed under Modems. I think software modems
    list under Communication Devices.

    Make a note of the serial port for the Modem.

    Run hyperterminal or something and try in turn to open com1, com2, com3 and
    com4

    Type AT0 and press Enter in the terminal Window.

    The modem will reply (I think OK), but it has been a very long time since I
    did this.

    Once you find your serial port, you can use the device number on Linux.

    /dev/ttyS0 corresponds to COM1 on Windows.

    If you find it is giving you hassle, throw it away, and pick up an external
    modem for about 10 on ebay.

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West
    QUINTON
    Birmingham
    B32 1QE

    Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    International: 0044 121 247 1596

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  5. Re: Which distribution will recognize my modem without problem on HP 9105 laptop?

    In the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux, in article
    , Mario wrote:

    >> Mario wrote:

    >>> I tried Mandriva 2005 and Suse 9.3 which didn't recognize modem. Under XP
    >>> it is Agere systems AC'97 modem.

    Of course - neither Mandriva or SuSE can see the modem, because it isn't
    there. You have a winmodem.

    >How to find out these things ?

    http://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/docs/HOWTO/
    http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/howtos.html

    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 338050 Jun 17 09:53 Modem-HOWTO

    >People ask me is it software modem. I don't know, I think that
    >laptops have internal hardware modem that will be recognize without
    >searching linmodem database which I shortly can't figure out.

    The AC97 is a sound card interface. There are some drivers for it, but
    which one to use depends on which distribution and release you have.
    Very few laptops come with a real modem - the winmodem is cheaper for the
    manufacturer, who can then reduce the price you have to pay.

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread