bincimap - How do I shut it down ? - Linux

This is a discussion on bincimap - How do I shut it down ? - Linux ; How do I shutdown Bincimap related services ? I want to try some reconfiguration, since it is not working properly, and will not allow me to log in. I have shut down the internet superserver daemon. ps -ef reveals: root ...

  1. bincimap - How do I shut it down ?

    How do I shutdown Bincimap related services ?

    I want to try some reconfiguration, since it is not working properly, and will
    not allow me to log in.

    I have shut down the internet superserver daemon.

    ps -ef reveals:

    root 27115 1 12 13:35 ? 00:00:22 runsv bincimaps
    root 27117 27115 0 13:35 ? 00:00:00 tcpsvd -v -c100 -C14 -l0 0 993
    bincimap-up --logtype=multilog --conf=/etc/bincimap/bincimap.conf --ssl --
    /usr/bin/checkpw /usr/sbin/bincimapd
    root 31721 1 0 13:38 ? 00:00:00 runsvdir -P /var/service log:
    vise/lock: temporary failure?.runsv bincimaps: fatal: unable to lock
    supervise/lock: temporary failure?runsv bincimaps: fatal: unable to lock
    supervise/lock: temporary failure?runsv bincimaps: fatal: unable to lock
    supervise/lock: temporary failure?runsv bincimaps: fatal: unable to lock
    supervise/lock: temporary failure?runsv bincimaps: fatal: unable to lock
    supervise/lock: temporary failure?

    I try:

    kill -9 27115
    kill -9 27117
    kill -9 31721

    The services immediately respawn under different process identity numbers.

    I notice process 27117 is providing a switch --ssl, I presume for some secure
    socket layering.

    I don't know where this is coming from, but I am not using ssl, so I don't
    want this.

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    International: 0044 121 247 1596

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  2. Re: bincimap - How do I shut it down ?

    In alt.comp.linux Bill Marcum wrote:

    > Try "pstree -p" to find the parent of these processes.

    Ok, the parent process is the init daemon.

    /etc/inittab contains an entry:

    #-- runit begin
    SV:123456:respawn:/usr/sbin/runsvdir-start
    #-- runit end

    So I reckon this is the cause of my grief.

    I don't know why that entry is there, it is not present on my other machines.

    I have not seen this entry before. I presume it was placed there by the
    bincimap installer script, but it could have been something else.

    Do I need this ?

    Out of interest, is is possible to prevent this respawning, without a reboot ?

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West
    QUINTON
    Birmingham
    B32 1QE

    Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    International: 0044 121 247 1596

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  3. Re: bincimap - How do I shut it down ?

    In alt.comp.linux Mark Hobley wrote:

    > #-- runit begin
    > SV:123456:respawn:/usr/sbin/runsvdir-start
    > #-- runit end

    I have managed to get rid of this.

    There is a package called bincimap-run. This has dependencies ipsvd and runit.

    I have removed the package bincimap-run and its two dependencies ipsvd and
    runit.

    These packages are not required, if bincimap is running from the Internet
    superserver daemon.

    Cheers,

    Mark.

    --