bincimap - plain text password authentication is disallowed - Linux

This is a discussion on bincimap - plain text password authentication is disallowed - Linux ; I am having trouble getting bincimap to authenticate properly. Here is an example telnet session: telnet neptune 143 Trying 10.0.0.8... Connected to markhobley.yi.org. Escape character is '^]'. * OK Welcome to Binc IMAP Copyright (C) 2002-2005 Andreas Aardal Hanssen at ...

  1. bincimap - plain text password authentication is disallowed

    I am having trouble getting bincimap to authenticate properly.

    Here is an example telnet session:

    telnet neptune 143
    Trying 10.0.0.8...
    Connected to markhobley.yi.org.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    * OK Welcome to Binc IMAP Copyright (C) 2002-2005 Andreas Aardal Hanssen at
    2005-10-22 23:40:34 BST
    1 login mark testpass
    1 NO LOGIN failed: Plain text password authentication is disallowed. Please
    try enabling SSL or TLS in your mail client.

    My configuration file /etc/bincimap/bincimap.conf contains the following
    entries:

    Authentication {
    allow plain auth in non ssl = "yes", /* allow login or
    authenticate
    when not in
    SSL/TLS mode */

    auth penalty = 4, /* on auth failure,
    * server sleeps so
    * many seconds
    * before allowing
    * client to
    * authenticate
    * again.
    */
    disable starttls = "no"
    }

    Please advise.

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    International: 0044 121 247 1596

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  2. Re: bincimap - plain text password authentication is disallowed

    In comp.mail.imap Mark Hobley wrote:

    > 1 login mark testpass
    > 1 NO LOGIN failed: Plain text password authentication is disallowed. Please
    > try enabling SSL or TLS in your mail client.

    I issue a CAPABILITY command as follows:

    telnet neptune 143
    Trying 10.0.0.8...
    Connected to markhobley.yi.org.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    * OK Welcome to Binc IMAP Copyright (C) 2002-2005 Andreas Aardal Hanssen at
    2005-10-24 21:17:58 BST
    1 CAPABILITY
    * CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 STARTTLS LOGINDISABLED
    1 OK CAPABILITY completed
    Connection closed by foreign host.

    I was expecting to see:

    * CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 AUTH=LOGIN AUTH=PLAIN

    How do I enable Login ?

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --