Can I just replace checkpw with a shell script ?

I can't get the debian package checkpw to work.

I'm not sure what checkpw does, and I haven't been able to find any
documentation on the internal workings, other than the overbloated source
code package, which is going to take me weeks to decipher.

I am guessing that it sets up some environment variables according to the
username it recieves from the piped input then runs the command in its argument
list.

Is this correct ?

Does the spawned command as root, or as the named user ? Does anyone know.

The following test results in no output:

$ printf "mark\0postbox\0y123456\0"|checkpw id 3<&0

Although, the password file is file:

cat ~/Maildir/.password
postbox

In reality, checkpw shoud run the bincimapd daemon from the
nternet superservice daemon as follows:

imap stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/bincimap-up /usr/sbin/bincimap-up \
--conf =/etc/bincimap/bincimap.conf --logtype=syslog -- /usr/bin/checkpw \
/usr/sbin/bincimapd

Because the checkpw program just doesn't work, I am unable to use my email.
I would like to quickly frig a replacement.

Regards,

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley