Samba- password file problem? - Linux

This is a discussion on Samba- password file problem? - Linux ; I'm trying to set up samba on a linux file server (flavor = Debian 'sarge') for my office. I'm no server admin expert, but I've been through a variety of tutorials and done a lot of googling without luck in ...

  1. Samba- password file problem?

    I'm trying to set up samba on a linux file server (flavor = Debian 'sarge')
    for my office. I'm no server admin expert, but I've been through a variety
    of tutorials and done a lot of googling without luck in solving my problem.
    With the instructions at
    http://hr.uoregon.edu/davidrl/samba.html#SAMBA-INSTALL (including the
    password file edits) I was able to set up the server to publicly share a
    folder. However, I'm completely out of luck for allowing users to connect
    to their account folders on the linux box (everyone is connecting from win2k
    or winXP boxes and my smb.conf is set for password encryption). I've tried
    everything I can find online for setting up smb.conf, but samba never seems
    to be able to recognise a username+password pair.

    I'm starting to think my problem is getting samba to use the (proper?)
    password file. Can anyone give advice on troubleshooting password issues?

    Thanks!
    -Eric

  2. Re: Samba- password file problem?

    Eric Peterson wrote:
    > I'm trying to set up samba on a linux file server (flavor = Debian 'sarge')
    > for my office. I'm no server admin expert, but I've been through a variety
    > of tutorials and done a lot of googling without luck in solving my problem.
    > With the instructions at
    > http://hr.uoregon.edu/davidrl/samba.html#SAMBA-INSTALL (including the
    > password file edits) I was able to set up the server to publicly share a
    > folder. However, I'm completely out of luck for allowing users to connect
    > to their account folders on the linux box (everyone is connecting from win2k
    > or winXP boxes and my smb.conf is set for password encryption). I've tried
    > everything I can find online for setting up smb.conf, but samba never seems
    > to be able to recognise a username+password pair.
    >
    > I'm starting to think my problem is getting samba to use the (proper?)
    > password file. Can anyone give advice on troubleshooting password issues?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > -Eric

    Check that your firewalls are passing the required IP ports, and
    that the linux box firewall is passing those ports too.

    My first try at samba had a similar problem. It turned out I had
    all the samba stuff right and I just needed to open the firewalls.

    Roger

  3. Re: Samba- password file problem?

    Maybe... I currently have iptables in the linux box set to accept only
    incoming and established connections from the IP addresses used by other
    computers in the office. There are no port-based rules in my tables. I'd
    think this would allow samba to take logins, as they would be established
    connections from an allowable IP, but maybe I'm wrong? All windows boxes
    have the firewall turned off, relying on firewalls in the system outside of
    our office LAN.

    "Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" wrote in
    message news:43544ED0.4000205@qwest.net...
    > Eric Peterson wrote:
    > > I'm trying to set up samba on a linux file server (flavor = Debian

    'sarge')
    > > for my office. I'm no server admin expert, but I've been through a

    variety
    > > of tutorials and done a lot of googling without luck in solving my

    problem.
    > > With the instructions at
    > > http://hr.uoregon.edu/davidrl/samba.html#SAMBA-INSTALL (including the
    > > password file edits) I was able to set up the server to publicly share a
    > > folder. However, I'm completely out of luck for allowing users to

    connect
    > > to their account folders on the linux box (everyone is connecting from

    win2k
    > > or winXP boxes and my smb.conf is set for password encryption). I've

    tried
    > > everything I can find online for setting up smb.conf, but samba never

    seems
    > > to be able to recognise a username+password pair.
    > >
    > > I'm starting to think my problem is getting samba to use the (proper?)
    > > password file. Can anyone give advice on troubleshooting password

    issues?

    > > Thanks!
    > > -Eric
    > >

    > Check that your firewalls are passing the required IP ports, and
    > that the linux box firewall is passing those ports too.
    >
    > My first try at samba had a similar problem. It turned out I had
    > all the samba stuff right and I just needed to open the firewalls.
    >
    > Roger

  4. Re: Samba- password file problem?

    Eric Peterson wrote:
    > everything I can find online for setting up smb.conf, but samba never seems
    > to be able to recognise a username+password pair.

    Try this one. I know for sure it works.

    http://markhobley.yi.org/linux/samba/

    Regards,

    Mark.