USB Linux mounted disk drives - Linux

This is a discussion on USB Linux mounted disk drives - Linux ; Hi. My trusty IBM linux laptop with two 80 GByte drives just died and I'm looking at new options. One is an ultralight laptop with one disk drive and then plug in one or more USB drives as I need ...

  1. USB Linux mounted disk drives

    Hi. My trusty IBM linux laptop with two 80 GByte drives just died
    and I'm looking at new options. One is an ultralight laptop
    with one disk drive and then plug in one or more USB drives
    as I need space. Has anyone done this, and how is performance
    with a USB 2 interface? I need lots of storage but not necessarily
    fast access (a lot of my work is compute intensive rather than
    I/O intensive).

    Then another difficulty: I would like some drives to be
    partitioned, say 50% linux and 50% windows FAT 32
    (be nice if NTFS, but NTFS linux support doesn't exist
    yet does it?). And I would like to mount both partitions
    in linux. Is this possible?

    Roger

  2. Re: USB Linux mounted disk drives

    "Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" wrote:
    > Hi. My trusty IBM linux laptop with two 80 GByte drives just died
    > and I'm looking at new options. One is an ultralight laptop
    > with one disk drive and then plug in one or more USB drives
    > as I need space. Has anyone done this, and how is performance
    > with a USB 2 interface? I need lots of storage but not necessarily
    > fast access (a lot of my work is compute intensive rather than
    > I/O intensive).
    >
    > Then another difficulty: I would like some drives to be
    > partitioned, say 50% linux and 50% windows FAT 32
    > (be nice if NTFS, but NTFS linux support doesn't exist
    > yet does it?). And I would like to mount both partitions
    > in linux. Is this possible?

    Both FAT32 and NTFS can be mounted from Linux. Check the filesystem
    section of your kernel, ie.
    make menuconfig

    Now, for your old laptop... what has died?

    --
    William Park , Toronto, Canada
    BashDiff: Super Bash shell

  3. Re: USB Linux mounted disk drives

    William Park wrote:
    > "Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" wrote:
    >
    >>Hi. My trusty IBM linux laptop with two 80 GByte drives just died
    >>and I'm looking at new options. One is an ultralight laptop
    >>with one disk drive and then plug in one or more USB drives
    >>as I need space. Has anyone done this, and how is performance
    >>with a USB 2 interface? I need lots of storage but not necessarily
    >>fast access (a lot of my work is compute intensive rather than
    >>I/O intensive).
    >>
    >>Then another difficulty: I would like some drives to be
    >>partitioned, say 50% linux and 50% windows FAT 32
    >>(be nice if NTFS, but NTFS linux support doesn't exist
    >>yet does it?). And I would like to mount both partitions
    >>in linux. Is this possible?

    > Both FAT32 and NTFS can be mounted from Linux. Check the filesystem
    > section of your kernel, ie.
    > make menuconfig
    >
    > Now, for your old laptop... what has died?

    Thanks for the info. My old laptop, an IBM 770, seems to have
    an intermittent broken connection somewhere. If I flex
    it at all, it immediately goes into hibernation mode.
    Then it will not boot for a while--I have to flex it
    this and that way until the connection is stable, then
    if it boots, I can't move it at all. Simply starting
    to pick it up or slide it over and its back to hibernation.

    I've reseated all the cards with no help. I've had it
    up for about 30 hours while I made another complete backup.
    But I can't trust it to travel--I use it for science
    analysis and spacecraft instrument commanding on Cassini
    when I'm on the road. Fortunately, I'm not traveling much
    for the next month while I get a new system up and configured.
    It would be nice to have USB 2 anyway.

    So when did NTFS support become available? And is FAT 32 fully
    operational? I was running Red Hat 9 and FAT 32 was alpha,
    although I never had a problem with it, and there was no
    NTFS support.

    Roger

+ Reply to Thread